Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)  (Read 31684 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2018, 03:04:15 AM »

So after running Domoticz setup, I realized that Mochad may not work on Stretch for the same reason Domoticz wasn't happy.  It appears that in order to install Mochad, one must install the dev package of libusb-1.0-0.  I may be able to get it to install using the same instructions as posted above, but it may be problematic in the long run.  I'm going to give it a chance, but it's not looking good.

I may just stick with HG 526 assuming I can get it running correctly.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »

So after running Domoticz setup, I realized that Mochad may not work on Stretch for the same reason Domoticz wasn't happy.  It appears that in order to install Mochad, one must install the dev package of libusb-1.0-0.  I may be able to get it to install using the same instructions as posted above, but it may be problematic in the long run.  I'm going to give it a chance, but it's not looking good.

Couldnt get Mochad working with Domoticz so I opted for Heyu with the CM11 instead. I'm sure it can be achieved but it was so easy to do X10 with Heyu so I decided to go that route.

Are you struggling with Homegenie 526 on the Raspberry Pi. I wouldn't go beyond Mono 5.4.1 with that version of Homegenie. I have that version Homegenie locked in to Mono 5.4.1.

I've decided to sit back and wait to see what direction Homegenie is going in beyond V 526. There's not a lot of interest in bringing along X10 in any further releases and they seem to be unsure what platform they want to concentrate on. In fact the talk is they want to rewrite the base code.

I'll stick with v526 on the basis that if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »

I believe all Linux HA programs that support the cm15 and/or cm19 use libusb-1.0.0-dev even HG uses this. My Plan originally was to install Mochad for HA-Bridge but that is not required with HG (thanks petera for pointing that out)

I installed HA-Bridge and now have it talking with HG. I've not ported over my Bridge setup from my PC yet but I may just edit the calls on the PC so they send the info to my Pi for now as this setup is to go to my off grid place.
I mounted my Pi case to the CM15 with Velcro and have a white case in route to replace the black one which I hope will look nicer. If not I could paint the CM15 black. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »

Although I was able to get Domoticz running on stretch via the beta image, I could not get Mochad to install.  It appears that there is an issue with a different library that is necessary to compile and is not compatible with stretch for some reason.  I've read that the RPi3 is compatible with Jessie and all these libraries are valid on Jessie too.  So, I'm giving it one last test to see if that will be usable.

From reading a few forum posts on the Domoticz forum, it does sound as though the issue is that they hard linked libraries rather than allowing for updates.  Seems like a dumb mistake that needs a fix!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2018, 02:07:54 AM »

...... ..I mounted my Pi case to the CM15 with Velcro and have a white case in route to replace the black one which I hope will look nicer. If not I could paint the CM15 black. rofl

It looks great! You've made real progress.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »

Thanks Dave,
To bad the 3B+ wouldn't have fit in the CM15A case like the Zero W does.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »

FWIW, I do have Domoticz running on the RPi3 on Jessie with Mochad communicating with a CM15A.  I have not played with it much, but it seems to function.  I was looking at the scripting language and it appears to use Lua as the native code.  I don't know Lua and it doesn't seem to follow the same conventions I'm familiar with.  I haven't decided if I will stick with HG 526 or move to Domoticz yet.  If Domoticz is stuck with an old library that's hard coded it may mean that the devs aren't on top of things and I'm no better off than with HG.   :o

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2018, 10:30:13 PM »

FWIW, I do have Domoticz running on the RPi3 on Jessie with Mochad communicating with a CM15A.  I have not played with it much, but it seems to function.  I was looking at the scripting language and it appears to use Lua as the native code.  I don't know Lua and it doesn't seem to follow the same conventions I'm familiar with.  I haven't decided if I will stick with HG 526 or move to Domoticz yet.  If Domoticz is stuck with an old library that's hard coded it may mean that the devs aren't on top of things and I'm no better off than with HG.   :o

I've used Lua on Vera. Not the most comfortable environment to work in. Quite a lot of varied plugins already available in Domoticz but not sure about it either and its definitely not for the novice.

If Homegenie v526 is working for you I'd stick with it until you're forced to move on. Just a shame the forum is not what it used to be. I think the current format of the forum they are using has a lot to do with that.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »

Any one tried Fhem?
It looks like it is updated regularly and supports X10 but not sure if it supports the Cm15 specificaly.
Most of the info is in German but it may be worth testing if someone hasn't found something they're comfy with yet.
It does have a phone app as well it looks like.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2018, 01:26:42 AM »

Any one tried Fhem?
It looks like it is updated regularly and supports X10 but not sure if it supports the Cm15 specificaly.
Most of the info is in German but it may be worth testing if someone hasn't found something they're comfy with yet.
It does have a phone app as well it looks like.

There's a lot of alternatives out there for X10 but you've got to be comfortable adapting to different working environments. I think for simplicity Homegenie is your best option and should have the easier learning curve.

Now that you have a working setup you can share your experiences with others on this forum and maybe they too can attempt to migrate their X10 setup to it. Once you dig in deeper you will see how powerful and flexible the software is. Who knows you could become one of the contributing developers for it. :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:53 AM »

I'm actually happy with my setup but I wish to learn what others have tried.
I setup a thread on my forum where users can post & vote for what they're using.
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1290.0
I doubt I'll be contributing much to HG code, as you stated the forked version is broken, and even the guy that forked it isn't recommending it. ::) :'
I'm getting to old to attempt to learn a new programing language at least to be able to be of any help.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

I thought that Bounz (the new fork main dev) was saying it was only working for Windows at this time.  If you are using it for other environments, it would not necessarily work.  If you use Windows, I think he's good with it being considered working.

I like HG now that I've got my code working.  I'm not ecstatic about a few things in the code, but I've learned to live with them.  That's going to be the case for any solution that doesn't get coded by the actual user though.  I wasn't a huge fan of C# when I started with HG, but it's very logical and follows the same syntax as all C code for the most part.  Lua feels foreign to me even though I have a lot of coding experience (beginner to novice level) in different languages.  Heck, I find Scheme more logical than Lua and Scheme is pretty terrible!

I'm not going to code really complex things with Blocky or any other visual programming language (e.g., my advanced smart lights code).  As a result, if I were to switch to Domoticz I'd have to learn Lua which I have a negative feeling towards at the moment.  That's likely going to kill Domoticz for me even though it looks really promising.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »

I thought that Bounz (the new fork main dev) was saying it was only working for Windows at this time.  If you are using it for other environments, it would not necessarily work.  If you use Windows, I think he's good with it being considered working.

I like HG now that I've got my code working.  I'm not ecstatic about a few things in the code, but I've learned to live with them.  That's going to be the case for any solution that doesn't get coded by the actual user though.  I wasn't a huge fan of C# when I started with HG, but it's very logical and follows the same syntax as all C code for the most part.  Lua feels foreign to me even though I have a lot of coding experience (beginner to novice level) in different languages.  Heck, I find Scheme more logical than Lua and Scheme is pretty terrible!

I'm not going to code really complex things with Blocky or any other visual programming language (e.g., my advanced smart lights code).  As a result, if I were to switch to Domoticz I'd have to learn Lua which I have a negative feeling towards at the moment.  That's likely going to kill Domoticz for me even though it looks really promising.

While you're in experimenting mode you might want to try this https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/

Looks interesting on the Raspberry Pi. I got it installed but havent had the time to try it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »

I had thought about giving Home Assistant a test run but the USB interfaces aren't supported
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »

I had thought about giving Home Assistant a test run but the USB interfaces aren't supported

I think I used this to get X10 working in Hassbian https://www.home-assistant.io/components/light.x10/
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.