Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternate Automation  (Read 1396 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Alternate Automation
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »

Maybe not all our automation needs to be the highest-tech. For me... the best automation is the stuff that handles the mundane for me freeing my time. Or... does things for others they can't easily do for themselves.

I few weeks ago.... I installed a new storm door on my back door. After installation my assistance complained that she could not reach the handle. She is after all very short.... and not yet 3 years old. She also calls me PopPaw.

After a rope fixed the handle problem she was free to roam back and forth to the fenced backyard at will.

Suddenly I realized my free-time was being diverted to fly killing. And I anticipate mosquito killing will follow as the weather warms. So I found an "indoor" bug zapper lightbulb (that I installed in a touché style lamp. Mine is like the one in the video/link.... except I got mine (different brand name) at the local home improvement store for $10.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:43:11 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Alternate Automation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

You might want to be careful with a bug-zapping bulb in that type of lamp. The closed bottom of the shade could lead to a buildup of dead bugs, which could be a problem if they pile up next to the wires. I've seen larger bugs (big moths) literally catch fire and burn for a few seconds in my outdoor bug zapper.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Alternate Automation
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »

....The closed bottom of the shade could lead to a buildup of dead bugs.....

That is why I selected that lamp.

Rarely... do we ever get a fly or mosquito (even with a weekly visit of grandchildren).... and I can't remember the last time we've had a moth in the house. And actually we think it would be better to have a dead insect carcass captured in the glass and metal globe than falling to the floor.

But thanks for the warning. I've been using a bag-zapper outside for years. I think the help.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.