🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub

(1/27) > >>

juanka:
I tried a lot of methods before, but nothing worked.  This one is easy, no programming skills needed, just a bit of patience.

The new Broadlink RM Pro hub works with X10 and Alexa. 
This little hub is very powerful, also blasts IR signals, so it will control a lot of devices nearby (line of sight for IR)
The Hub learns RF codes.  Once you go trough the process of creating all your codes (A1_ON, A1_Off, and so on) using BroadLink "e-connect app" (iOs and Android but no windows) then install "RM Plugin" app (Android only, paid app) RM will translate the commands as a Philips Hue that can talk to Alexa.
All set up is done using apps (no computer interface) and codes, scenes and macros are cloud storage.
I am very happy, finally all the X10 switches and plugs are working with Alexa.

What you need:

1) Your X10 gear (X10 HR12A PalmPad Remote Control to teach RF codes back to the RM Pro) about $14.

2) Broadlink RM Pro (The pro is the one with RF capabilities) about $37 on Amazon. Update to latest firmware.

3) Broadlink "e-Control" App (free, for your smartphone)

4) "RM Plugin" app, $2.49 annual subscription.  RM plugin ideally installed in a stand alone power plugged android tablet or phone, since it needs to be running all the time (I used an old tablet, but a cheap android prepaid phone will work)

5) Alexa Device. (Echo, Dot, etc.) Dot is about $50.

Youtube tutorial. Search for "Control practically anything with Alexa" by Paul Hibbert

dhouston:

--- Quote from: juanka on July 03, 2017, 06:44:50 PM ---1) Your X10 gear (X10 HR12A PalmPad Remote Control to teach RF codes back to the RM Pro) about $14.

--- End quote ---
Broadlink says 433MHz/315MHz for their RM Pro...
http://www.ibroadlink.com/rm/
but you are implying it can learn and playback 310MHz. Have you done any RF range testing? 

If it can learn/playback 310MHz then it might be possible to use it with Tasker & Broadlink RM Plugin Lite (a Tasker Plugin) without needing Broadlink's cloudy codebase or proprietary software.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.originally.rm_trial

And if it can learn other RF frequencies, it might be useful with other RF controlled devices like garage door openers.

Tuicemen:
I do remember reading the broadlink was to be adding X10 support.
However as dhouston pointed out their site says 433 and 315 MHz supported RF.
Maybe they have added 310 MHZ and not updated their web page ::) :'
I do have a broadlink RF Pro in the city but never attempted to learn a X10 remote.
juanka, Are you in North America?

dhouston:
I suspect that they have a software based tuning capacity bridging ~300-450MHz but only publish the default frequencies. If so, this could be a really powerful HA hub.

I've tried their support people a couple of times but fear they're actually the old X10 programmers who have found new employment.  ;) :o :(

Of course, 433MHz will support the Itead devices.

HA Dave:
Looks like another work around has been found.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version