Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub  (Read 42239 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »

Both can be used though you would need to setup with a phone. There are a couple of threads on the unofficial echo user forum dedicated to the Broadlink RM. Many there use Tasker others use the RM-bridge to control with Alexa.

Sadly I can't test out Bluestacks here but it should work with the said apps.
MY mini PC is to old and or slow to run Bluestacks however I do have an old android phone here I can set apps up on and use the web link to learn the codes.
I had previously used HA-Bridge to send the command to my android TV box to turn on/off the TV/cable box and switch inputs.
Since I have HA-Bridge running now on my mini PC I'll test that way.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 07:14:49 AM »

I originally picked up this unit due to the fact X10 was promised.
I never realized it already had the capabilities B:(
I set it up last night and seen It had already had the latest firmware.
I downloaded juanka's x10 codes and did a quick test.
The cm15 sees all commands.  :)% I quickly dug out a spare appliance module and tested after realizing the cm15 was set not to transceiver A ( took awhile  B:( ) the module was controllable.
Since the CM15 is next to my TV and  I had wanted the broadlink for its control the RF distance was only 5 feet.
I moved the cm15 to the other end of the house 35 feet and one wall away.
Pressed a button and nothing B:( after moving to 3 closer outlets I realized I was pressing the wrong button B:( so I started from the farthest outlet again being sure I was pressing the correct button for the module. Success! :)% RF range is far more then I need.

When I downloaded the codes I noticed there were several users that had posted code so rather then trying to learn code I'll see what has already been posted.
Hopefully in one is house code "L" ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »

What other type of codes have been posted? Garage door openers and ceiling fans would be good candidates. I've no idea what WiFi chip they use but the ESP32 is capable of learning & playing back the full range of RF frequencies used in N. America (approx. 250-500MHz as well as higher bands).
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

juanka

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »

@Tuicemen I am glad it worked!  :)% I check those other shared X10 codes, but nothing really worked.  (there is a lot of crap, I think people test and uploads and a lot of unfinished projects end up in their database that are not accurate)
During the teaching process, I had to try several times on some of the codes, but finally all were taken.
It appears the RF range is very good, I didn't have any issues inside the house.  Even some of the problematic devices worked well this time.  Only one x10 switch that is away in a detached garage has some issues (But it always had before)
The RM Bridge app needs a device with a static IP.  I turned it off since I didn't want to eat all my battery and once I restarted it lost the link, probably because I had no static ip assigned to my phone.
I also added codes for my IR remotes, the "flower" IR blaster from the Broadlink also very effective.  So far so good.
Now, since I can mix and match with other systems, I am looking for these cool looking light switches by Makegood  (http://w w w . szmakegood.com/uspro.asp) also sold under different brand names on Amazon.  Anyone using them?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »

Your right nothing else would send a x10 command but they may have been using a European standards. :(
itead actually has some glass panel light switches https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-touch.html thought I don't like their app for control most of their stuff can be flashed with different firmware allowing local control.

I attempted to use the web interface for learning but with out any success.
It does say It learned IR when attempted from here but when I test the device never turns on. B:(

The eControl app will learn both IR and RF successfully here however I can't seem to learn any more then 3 RF on/off signals before a device add over writes the last created B:(
I can see this will be a slow process. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

juanka

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »

I just created one for L housecode.  See if that works.
If works, labels and icons can be customized.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:55:49 PM by juanka »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »

Thanks, I get some weird signals transmitting so the app may need to be restarted then re-download the code.
Cool thing, this will learn x10 security codes as well.
I only have a security flob here but managed to get all but the panic programed.
I'll have to wait till I'm here by myself to attempt that one.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

juanka

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »

After many test tries a distance of 30" between smartphone, remote and the RM when teaching the code worked best, much easier for the learning process. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »

AH  :)% the distance for learning RF with the web interface for the RM bridge makes a difference!
I was farther the 3 feet away trying the web interface learn.
To bad these couldn't be used in the econtrol app :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 11:39:46 PM »

AH  :)% the distance for learning RF with the web interface for the RM bridge makes a difference!
I was farther the 3 feet away trying the web interface learn.
To bad these couldn't be used in the econtrol app :(

So one of these RM pro device will really let me use Alexa to control my TV and X10 RF stuff too?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 07:08:59 AM »

So one of these RM pro device will really let me use Alexa to control my TV and X10 RF stuff too?

And, maybe even more - like garage doors, drapes, ceiling fans. If it can learn 433MHz, it can handle these devices (and others) from Itead...
https://tech.scargill.net/itead-slampher-and-sonoff/

And it would be really helpful were Broadlink to release an API letting geeks create interfaces for PCs, RPis, etc.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:27:42 AM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »

Short answer, Yes!

I have no problem using it with X10. I wish I had attempted way back when I first got it working with Alexa for my TV and cable box. ::) :' :-[
I've now got it arming and disarming my ds7000 I can't get it to do a panic yet.
I also am having a hard time getting it to learn my ceiling fan. But other then that it has been able to learn all other remotes.
I can't get Alexa to work with the RM Plugin Lite app but I suspect it to is an hue emulator which is what HA-Bridge is. Been told you can only run 1 hue emulator at a time.
The HA-Bridge is a bit more work to setup (currently)but the developer is working on adding support for the Broadlink to eliminate the need for an android server or the econtrol app.
 >!
The article I read about support for X10 must have been older then I though. As I was waiting for a new firmware before attempting. The article stated support for zwave was coming as well a couple other protocols which have slipped my mind.

I may attempt to see if I can get it to work with the new wijit modules but with out a remote it may not be possible.
@dhouston
There are actually several projects on gihub for the rm broadlink most are written in perl or java
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:49 AM »

I also am having a hard time getting it to learn my ceiling fan.
What frequency?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

@dhouston
There are actually several projects on gihub for the rm broadlink most are written in perl or java
I see several (even for Android) so it probably is just a matter of time. One indicates there is a leaked preliminary SDK.
https://github.com/torinnguyen/broadlink-android
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.