Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub  (Read 42280 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »

But.... NOW... I am motivated to let loose of a few more dimes and control my TV via Alexa. So.... maybe....
I thunked you had a Harmony Hub? Hub will interface with "her".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »

But.... NOW... I am motivated to let loose of a few more dimes and control my TV via Alexa. So.... maybe....

I thunked you had a Harmony Hub? Hub will interface with "her".

I use Harmony (or Harmony-Logitech) IR for my upstairs TV... as well as my Home Theater (I even used the Harmony Hub in one theater setup I built for someone else).

In MY Theater... I use powermid-like devices and an X10 IR543 to convert the X10 IR signal sent by the Harmony to trigger a macro stored on the CM15A. The Harmony remote uses macro-like routines/programs as well. So by just pushing the "watch a movie" button.... a series of IR signals starts the projector, audio receiver, BlueRay.... and turns out the X10 lights. It was my Home Theater that got me into HA/X10.

I should also point out that I had used a windows compatible IR device through my BVC software to control a TV and a IR controlled fan. BVC also controlled my X10 lighting as well (of course). But NOTHING.... has the wife approval like Alexa. I think Bill (of BVC) was years ahead of his time. He did great work! It took a huge dollar and talent investment from a global corp... to exceed what Bill pounded out on an old XP laptop.

When Alexa became available.... with the ability to control the Harmony hub... it looked like a way to get some limited X10 control using my [Alexa] DOT. I seriously considered using Harmony's somewhat limited X10 control. I posted about it.

racerfern saw my post and generously shared with me his old Homeseer Hometroller (since he had upgraded). I am thrilled with the hometroller! And I now have full voice control of my X10 setup through Alexa. As well as global remote control using the Homeseer app. But I am always looking to plan a new project.... it would be nice to be able to have Alexa turn my upstairs TV on for me too. But.... I've also read about a gesture control IR device as well. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:06:30 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »

I played a bit with gesture control while coding some support for the Kinects camera into one of my programs.
I wasn't convinced this would be reliable for HA.

For those not using the RM Plugin lite but are using the RM Bridge app I've attached code for HC L for it.
Simply open the text file copy the text then open the RM Bridge web interface to the import page type in the connect info for the HA Bridge paste the code to the Jason code section and click import.
You can then go to the manage code page and test/remove codes you wish.
The RM Bridge won't pull code from the eControl app :( nor will the econtrol app pull codes from the RM Bridge.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »

I played a bit with gesture control while coding some support for the Kinects camera into one of my programs.
I wasn't convinced this would be reliable for HA.
I stumbled on a "Kinect X Box 360" at a thrift store, so bought it, thinking it had a USB connector. But it isn't USB. Must be only for the 360, OR is there an adaptor to to go from Kinect to USB?  Can I do anything with this, or have I lost my $2.49 investment? <grin>

Thanks for any insight from anyone!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »

The 360 requires an adaptor with separate power they usually come with the 360 however you may find one on ebay.
This is what you need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-USB-Cable-Cord-for-Microsoft-Xbox-360-Kinect-Sensor-/302220593766?hash=item465dc04a66:g:SPQAAOSwax5YnVwk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:48:39 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »

Or pay more and get it quickly...
Thanks Dave, but since I don't have a clue on how I am going to use this Kinect gizmo, I'm getting the ebay unit from China. It will be here by the time the leaves change. By then I should have some "gestures" for it.  :'

dave w

• Community Organizer

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »

it will only connect one way  USB to the PC.
I believe there are instructions on my site for drivers and things you may require.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

juanka

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »

There is another app by broadlink that claims alexa connection with no bridge or other apps. 
I wasn't able to find the BroadLink skill in the Alexa app as this remote app claims, but they have clear instructions with screenshots. Strange.
Since I did all my remotes, scenes etc in e-control, I am not in urgency to test this one.  It is called "Intelligent Home Center" for android and iPhone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.com.broadlink.econtrol.plus&hl=en

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:35:58 PM by juanka »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »

Nice find!
This app was updated in July so it may be easier to operate.
I'll give it a test over the next few days. it looks like setup of IR devices (at least) may be easier.
It would be nice if you could import codes already learned though.
the fact that there is or will be a skill is promising. I can't access Amazon Alexa to look for some reason right now. ::) :' (cloudy skies  ??? )
 >!
Update:
I think the BroadLink skill for Intelligent Home Center hasn't been made available for North America (yet)
I can't locate it in the skills section either
Althought the learning of some IR devices is much easier RF isn't.
Editing names and adding icons is a bit more involved however the in app icon library is much more vast.
I didn't spend much time with this app just loaded a few devices prior to looking for the skill.
I also will be sticking with the eControl app (at least till the alexa skill is available)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:45:03 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »

The BroadLink has a thermometer onboard. -:)
This allows triggering any learnable device code based on a set temperature (using the eControl App).
To do this you have to setup a user defined air conditioner. ;)
You can add buttons in addition to the power, heat and cool ones  :)%
You can also edit or delete the heat cool buttons
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

juanka

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:27 PM »

Yes, I figured the Alexa skill is available in other markets.  Apparently the device is very popular in Eastern Europe and Asia.
I emailed the developer but I got an autoresponse in Chinese. lol. Hopefully this gets into the Alexa US market soon ;-)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 06:53:24 AM »

I too emailed them.my email stated they were docking. ???
This morning I found it doing a search for BroadLink, funny thing Alexa only found my TV when I asked to discover devices so it needs some work.
Seems only A/V devices that are IR are currently supported but those seem to work well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PLQYKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1499957154&sr=1-1&keywords=BroadLink+Remote+Control
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:42:19 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

juanka

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »

Their Facebook page just posted a video today for the new app and Alexa integration:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1618499524827147&id=865356486808125

I tested the new ihc app adding my Vizio TV and worked well with Alexa.  It accepts more natural speaking commands, not just turn on or turn off XXX.  I wished they had included the Alexa integration with e-control, since all the x10 keys and scenes I already created it for e-control.

The ihc app looks very stylish, and once you click on an appliance, like TV, draws over the screen with the most commonly used keys (volume, power, channel, etc) graphically I like it, but overall programming is cumbersome.  Appliance recognition works nice, but still some keys that need to be taught back.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:04:55 AM by juanka »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.