Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub  (Read 42243 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X10 with Alexa using the "Broadlink RM Pro" hub
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

You can add devices/sensors if you can send the code so the Broadlink can learn it.
However once learned it doesn't listen for that code it merely repeats it if triggered with a Wi-Fi command.
I may be wrong but it sounds like you wish the BroadLink to send something based on what it receives via RF which it currently can't.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »

Yes, I'm looking to use it as a bridge device to convert sensors on 433MHz (currently) to something useful like MQTT.  This is not all that uncommon a capability, but when I tried to get it to work with the ESP8266 with the Arduino compiler, it did not work that well.  It's been over a year since I tried last, but from the projects I'd tagged back then that looked promising, I've seen nothing new.  This thing looks like it can do everything that the ESP series can do plus more and the price for that kind of capability seems pretty incredible!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:12 PM »

While, at the hardware level, the RM Pro has tremendous potential, unlocking that potential depends on Broadlink and/or third parties.

Broadlink is unlikely to release an open source type of API because most of the RF possibilities require FCC testing before releasing a commercial product.

That leaves it up to third parties.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »

Sounds like I should repeat my search for Arduino libraries and similar projects.  I don't expect an off the shelf product to do what I want without customizing and that's generally a no-no to support modifying transmit/receive of RF by the consumer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »

There is a leaked unofficial Broadlink SDK out there but I think it is geared to Android and only learn RF/IR ,send based on wifi .
However I've not seen it, so if you can find it and understand it ::) :', it may contain more info and possibilities. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »

Sounds like I should repeat my search for Arduino libraries and similar projects.  I don't expect an off the shelf product to do what I want without customizing and that's generally a no-no to support modifying transmit/receive of RF by the consumer.
Take a look here...
https://hackaday.io/list/2401-home-automation
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

juanka

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

Here is another app that works with Broadlink.  Free with ads, and full features for the paid version.
Perhaps this one has more accurate IR database for appliances (an amazon reviewer said so)

SURE Universal Smart TV Remote Control
by SURE Universal Ltd.

Link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tekoia.sure.activities&hl=en

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »

This appears to only handle IR devices however it also appears to have full Alexa integration.
Since I already have my device codes learned and incorporated with Alexa I won't try this one but am interested in what others think about it that test run it.
The learning can be a pain and the IHC Alexa skill appears to only allow TV control though I found away around that.
The trick is to tell IHC to setup a TV and go threw the setup process selecting a brand you don't have. When it asks if the device turned on select NO. Eventually it will give you the option to retry or learn just select learn and learn the buttons you wish. Then rename the device to DVD Player or what ever IR device you used.
this has worked for my DVD player and Sat dish. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »

There is a leaked unofficial Broadlink SDK out there but I think it is geared to Android and only learn RF/IR ,send based on wifi .
From what information I can find, Broadlink is adamantly opposed to releasing an SDK/API. That's a shame since its RM Pro hardware is ideal for a general purpose HA hub.

Back in prehistoric times (circa 2000) the Global Cache GC100 could be used to control serial ports and relays as well as send IR & RF. CodeGen could generate the CCF codes needed for a wide variety of HA devices and Global Cache provided a CCF utility which allowed the use of CCF codes. For RF it was limited to the frequencies for which there were small RF transmitter modules available and it had a wired ethernet connection as this was before WiFi became ubiquitous in our residences. The GC100 cost was about 4x the RM Pro cost and required a bit of DIY skills.   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:37:30 PM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »

From what information I can find, Broadlink is adamantly opposed to releasing an SDK/API. That's a shame since its RM Pro hardware is ideal for a general purpose HA hub.

So true. The so called unofficial leaked SDK isn't even acknowledged by Broadlink to exist. :(
It may actually be something created by hacking the Broadlink and if that is the case we may see something new come out of that!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dinki

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »

Hey guys.  Very excited to see this product.  I see that it is controllable via Home Assistant so I'm hoping to retire my old X10->USB device.

Can someone link the correct item on Amazon?  I'm looking at  www. amazon. com /dp/ B0742CXGHY/ and it lists:

3. Frequency range: 313.9MHz-316.7MHz and 432.5MHz-436.3MHz

Is this the same model that you guys are using?  I just want to make sure that this is the right device.  I also have a Hunter RF ceiling fan that I _think_ is a 330MHz device.  Anyone know if this frequency is supported even though it's not listed?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »

https://www.amazon.ca/Broadlink-Pro-Automation-Compatible-Smartphones/dp/B01GKY27B4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508332675&sr=8-1&keywords=RM+Broadlink+pro

I also have a Hunter RF ceiling fan which currently isn't supported. The Broadlink does see the RF frequency however mine fails to learn it.
You'll most likely need to do a firmware update from one of the official Broadlink apps, IHC or Econtrol.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dinki

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »

I also have a Hunter RF ceiling fan which currently isn't supported. The Broadlink does see the RF frequency however mine fails to learn it.
You'll most likely need to do a firmware update from one of the official Broadlink apps, IHC or Econtrol.

Thanks for the quick response.  You linked the RM2 Pro while I had linked the RMPRO .  Is there a difference in the frequency range?  Also, are you saying that you think your fan is supported but you haven't done a firmware upgrade?  I downloaded the Econtrol app in hopes of seeing if someone had uploaded a config for the fan but I can't access the database without linking the device which I haven't purchased.

These devices only do X10 send commands right?  I can't use this to monitor motion detectors, correct?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »

Correct these only send however since they can learn RF they do see sensors and perhaps in a future app release that may be possible.
The RM2 is a newer version then the RM pro I see there is now also a RM 03 pro.
https://www.amazon.ca/Broadlink-Automation-Universal-Compatible-Smartphones/dp/B072MF92S5/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508337357&sr=1-2&keywords=RM+Broadlink
Both of these state a stronger RF radio as the only difference I can see.
You may wish to contact Broadlink directly to see if there are other enhancements.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »

I now have two of these units, one for the cottage and one for the house.
The Groups & new Routines in the Alexa App made this easy to turn on/off many things at once (Not just X10) with a single phrase.
The new version IHC app learns both RF and IR very fast (maybe the newer Broadlink has a better RF receiver)
Initial setup to the IHC app with the new Broadlink was a bit of a pain but the IHC Alexa skill makes it worth the trouble.
I've now retired my X10 PowerMids previously used to control my TV, Cable  box, and Blueray Player.

I added it to the eControl app as well as that app has the ability to get codes from the cloud which speeds things up, virtually eliminating the learning process.
Both Broadlinks can be used in both apps and the apps know which devices are associated with which Broadlinks.
I managed to learn my window air conditioner IR codes but won't be playing with that this time of year. rofl
Since the Air Con is in another room I may have to put my PowerMids back into action to utilize those codes. ::) :'
The Broadlink has a temperature sensor built in so clicking on the Aircon displays the current rooms temperature. ;)

I tend to tinker more with Home Automation in the cooler months and this thing has many possibilities.
Combining this with the CM15A gives awesome power to my HA setup.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.