Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Versions of wall outlets.  (Read 3901 times)

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Versions of wall outlets.
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:30:04 AM »

Been considering a couple of wall outlets in places where the plug-in Lamp or Appliance modules might not fit.  So far I've seen at least two and need some clarification.

SR227:  Top outlet addressable/controlled; bottom uncontrolled, standard outlet.

XPR:  Both controlled.  Are they both on the same address (eg. both A1)?  Or is one a step above the other (eg. A1, A2) like some of the remotes?

15A should be more than I need, but is there a 20A version?

Are they subject to some of the problems of the Appliance modules when it comes to motors and LED lamps?  I may want one to control a 110V/12V step down transformer.

BackAgain

Re: Versions of wall outlets.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:36:28 AM »

Hmmm, just found this for the XPR:

20A  2400W
Minimum Load = 40W (Lamps/Loads rated below 40W may flicker and/or operate erratically)

So, maybe it would be better to ask if there's a 15A version for circuits with 14AWG wiring in place.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:06:24 AM »

The XPR.
Putting a 20 Amp rated outlet on #14 cable. Would allow you to plug in a 20 amp device on a 15 amp circuit.
Most likely not too good. I am not an electrician so I can't say if it is not to electrical code. I suspect it may not.
It has Local Control Sensing. So the Local Control Sensing current may cause small lights {LEDs come to mind again} to flicker and some inductive loads like a transformer to maybe turn back On when turned Off.

I have no latest information on the SR227. The sales page also indicates it also has Local Control Sensing.
I can't say about the present hardware. In the past there was a small plastic piece that broke. Causing it to stay On or Off depending on when it broke.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »

The PAO11(pro version of the sr227) is rated for 15 amps
 https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/wall-receptacles/pa011-supersocket-receptacle.html

The XPR-W Receptacle Duplex (pro version) is rated at 20 amps
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/wall-receptacles/xpr-w-receptacle-duplex.html
Same address for both outlet

I like the pro version they seemed to have better quality then the none Pro At least that was the case when X10wti was handling things.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »

I have several of the SR227 modules and they work ok.  I also have some of the SmartHome OutletLinc modules that are X10 addressable.  If I had to pick one module, I'd go with the OutletLinc.  Both work fine, but I like the SmartHome version a bit better.  It feels more robust and has the benefit of Insteon if I go that route at some point.  I don't know if the version with X10 capability is available any more, but if you can find it, I'd suggest that direction.  If not, the SR227 is a fine module.  Both of these control one outlet and the other is always on.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »

Putting a 20 Amp rated outlet on #14 cable. Would allow you to plug in a 20 amp device on a 15 amp circuit.
Most likely not too good.

The 2002 NEC book I have says:  "Receptacles and cord connectors shall be rated not less than 15 amperes, 125 volts, or 15 amperes 250 volts, and shall be of a type not suitable for use as lampholders."

There is no problem installing an outlet rated for 20 amps on a 14 AWG circuit because the code also requires the 14 AWG circuit to be protected with a 15 ampere circuit breaker.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »

XPR Wall Outlet
20A  2400W
Minimum Load = 40W (Lamps/Loads rated below 40W may flicker and/or operate erratically)
Yes,  both outlets use the same X10 code.

But I am wondering why X10 says loads under 40W may flicker. This is relay controlled, so I don't understand the flicker disclaimer in the directions. I think it is poodle gas. .
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

Very well could be a incorrect specification.

If it was the Local Control Sensor or ratchet switch On/Off Sensor. We usually squelch it with a 4-7 watt incandescent night light, resistor or other small load.

Thanks Jeff for the clarification on the 20 amp outlet on #14 wire. I did think about the 15 amp breaker.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »

Very well could be a incorrect specification.
If it was the Local Control Sensor or ratchet switch On/Off Sensor. We usually squelch it with a 4-7 watt incandescent night light, resistor or other small load.
Incorrect spec, yes, that's what I think. It looks like they (Authinx) may have grabbed some "boiler plate" from a Lamp Module or Wall Switch when they wrote the description. But it is definitely a relay to control the outlets, not a Triac.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »

I just looked at the X10Pro area of the official X10.com web pages.
I did not see any mention of a 40 Watt minimum for the XPR or any other of the X10 or X10Pro receptacles.

The X10 WIKI has the error.
Says 40 watts minimum load.  :'
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XPR
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:59:13 PM by Brian H »

BackAgain

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »

The PAO11(pro version of the sr227) is rated for 15 amps

I like the pro version they seemed to have better quality then the none Pro

Is there really any difference?  Just a new(er) version?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »

X10Pro modules have a two year warranty.
X10 Home modules have a 120 day warranty.
The web site now seems to call the X10 product line as X10 Home Products and the X10Pro product line.

PAO11 is the Pro version of the SR227 X10 Home Line series modules.
I have not see anything about differences between them. Maybe construction or finer QC as they have a two year warranty.

Near the end of X10WTI. They had redesigned modules to use easier to find like surface mounted chips and power supply modifications for the new chips. So the ones with through hole chips I have seen may no longer be the present modules construction.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:02:11 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »

The newer pro version I believe is not as noisy switching as the sr227.
However since I don't have one of these I'll see if I can confirm.
Other then that and warranty I would say they are the same.
The Pro versions use to have better quality testing, now that Authinx over sees both lines that may not be the case.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »

This is just my opinion (I have done absolutely no testing), but based on the modules I have they are identical.  My guess would be that they did the exact same testing on both and the difference is that the Pro line carried a longer warranty so if something went bad, it could potentially be replaced.  In practice, I suspect it would be just as difficult to replace with a Home or Pro line component.

I had a XPFM (relay style inline module) that failed almost immediately (within a week).  I contacted X10 and was told I had to go through the seller (a registered reseller from ebay in this case).  They did help me exchange the module, but I seriously doubt the X10 warranty had anything to do with it.  If it failed 5-1/2 months down the line, I don't think either the seller or X10 would have helped despite being within warranty period.  Authentix may be different, but it sounded like WTI was not interested in helping.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »

I just got word that the PAO11 has not got the relay upgrade yet  :(
I guess they still have lots of old stock  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.