Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM466 Failure to "Momentary On"  (Read 1616 times)

NickS

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AM466 Failure to "Momentary On"
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »

In the past few years I have had two X10 Appliance Modules fail by going to momentary on only.  The module controls lights.  When I index the zone to ON, the lights flash on for maybe 1/2 of a second and then go off.  My control is an X10 mini timer.  I am not sure of the date code of the first failure which was probably 3 years ago.  The recent failure date code is 11E19.  The board number is 11313B.  The chip has 14 pins.  The coincidence is that the failure was on the same zone.
Has anyone else had this type of failure?  Is there a component in the module that can be repaired?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AM466 Failure to "Momentary On"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »

Does the momentary ON happen with the Load connected and not connected? Some loads can false trigger the On Off Sensor. So if no Load still does it. It is moth likely a module issue.

If the On or Off sensing circuit in the module does not see it go On. Depending on age. Pulse one or two times to try and go On. One added pules would be On and Off. If two added pulses. On Off back On.

11313B is the updated CFL friendly one? It would have a 14 pin Sonix surface mounted controller.

I will see if I can find more information on the On Off sensing circuit for the new ones.

FYI: At one time there was even a third party modification the actually made it do what you are seeing. By disabling the On Off sensor. Made a momentary On module.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:06:45 PM by Brian H »

NickS

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »

Hi,  I will try the test with load and no load.  Your last comment is interesting.  I was wondering if a component failed.  (Kind of like cutting the diode lead on the old style board to disable the local control).  The component failure would mimic a desire to achieve momentary on.  Hopefully, I could just examine the components to check for failure.  But the examination could turn into an effort in futility.  I could be searching for quite a while.  Although, I am interested in the coincidence in the two failures.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »

This file was posted here probably in 2010.
It is the sensing circuit used in the newer models. I do not know if it is correct.
I would check R14,D4,Q8 and Q1. Maybe the ratchet switches contacts. In case it is arcing.
I do know from a test. Disconnecting R14 causes it to pulse a few times and sound like a machine gun.  :'
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:10:18 PM by Brian H »

NickS

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:05:40 PM »

Hi again,  Today was a travel day.  Thanks for the schematic.  I will print it and study the logic.  At first glance, Q1 and Q6 look like an amplifier circuit using NPN transistors.  When the relay contact is closed, the transistors stop conducting.  This allows the lead to U1.12 to go high to the V+ voltage.  That could be the sensing lead that tells the chip the relay is closed.   As an aside, I located the AM466 that failed years ago, (I never throw anything away).  It has the same date code. Interesting?
Thanks Again

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

I came to the same conclusion.
I am very sure it is the On Off Sensor. Disconnect R14 so it can't see the relay closure and it pulses a few time trying. Before giving up.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.