Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP on a Tablet Progress  (Read 2880 times)

LAF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP on a Tablet Progress
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »

Continuing efforts to get ACH working on a tablet (an Insignia Flex 8 with Win 10). Seems to work pretty well but has a few issues:

Could not get Lifejacket to execute properly on the tablet (as noted in another thread).  Tuicemen suggested a workaround but since .ahx files created on the desktop and copied to the tablet work fine including the smart macros stuff (you just can't create or edit), I haven't  bothered to pursue it further as of yet.

I had hoped to charge the tablet battery via the single USB port and, at the same time, have the CM15A connected (so the tablet could be connected continually w/o the battery running down) but there appears to be no way of doing that (the port apparently can act as a charging port or a USB com port but only one or the other at any one time).  The battery however easily lasts overnight if AHP is the only app running and the screen and wi-fi etc are off so I guess some of the objective is accomplished.

The AHP screen icons and scroll bars don't seem to get along well with a touch screen, at least as small as this one (it's hard to get them to respond, even using a stylus).  Connecting a mouse solves that but it's not a big issue as I do the programming on the desktop and then copy over to the tablet.

Also discovered that a standard USB adapter (micro USB to USB) will not allow the tablet to connect to other USB devices (such as a USB flash drive or a PC).  What is required is a USB "OTG" type of adaptor (for "on the go").  If a standard adapter is used to connect the tablet to a PC for example, all that results is the tablet battery gets charged by the PC.

Not sure if it's a bug or a feature but I've found that the tablet screen auto-switch off does not function is AHP is running but not minimized.

Anyhow, it appears that a tablet is a workable substitute for leaving a desktop connected and powered up all the time (as well as being useful for other tasks during the day  :)).

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:32:26 PM by LAF »

LAF

Re: AHP on a Tablet Progress
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »

Well, the tablet effort didn't work out after all.  It seems the Insignia tablet has a little issue with Windows (10) updates wiping out the network driver and, the Bestbuy Geek Squad won't fix it free of charge under the warranty (parts only are covered).  Insignia "tech support" was of equally little help - all they could suggest was a factory reset, which I did with no effect.  The only apparent alternative was to return or exchange the unit (if you happen to be "lucky" enough, as I was, to have the problem during the 14 day return period) or pay them to fix it.   B:(

I returned it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »

I am very sorry you had such issues.
Though I am glad you where within the 14 days and got a refund.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:00:57 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »

There are Tablets that AHP and or the cm15 will work with.
The tablet requires two USB ports or one and a separate charging port.
I have played with X10 control from many Android devices but not posted my experiments with a tablet.
I had started to experiment using the x10 Airpad but with X10 WTI going belly up my time was turned to keeping AHP alive.

On my forum there is a section on Small foot print PCs

I've been told others have had success with tablets and suspect a few posts there on their experiences shortly.
Still my preference is a low power PC or TV box/stick  many which can be found for under $50 ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LAF

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »

Well, the worm has turned.  Went to another Bestbuy store and was told (by the computer section manager) the warranty would cover any loss of drivers or other grief caused by OS screwups i.e. they would not attempt to repair the device but simply send it back to Insignia and give me a replacement.  So, repurchased it and so far so good.  I still however may not use it for AHP "security" functions as it was getting to be a bit of a pain continually checking the battery charge to see if it would make it through the night. As it was, it was only for the door open/closed sensors and I am wondering why similar sensors could not be made available that don't need the security s/w (similar to the motion sensors I also have installed).

I would be interested in knowing if any such devices are available somewhere...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »

I have not seen any battery operated Open/Closed X10 sensors that where not a security type.
I have seen a few modifications of a Motion Sensor. To replace the motion sensing with an Open/Closed set of magnetic switch contacts.

I have seen some battery operated Open/Closed Sensors in other protocols. Insteon and maybe Z-Wave. Not 100% sure on Z-Wave.

With an AC powered module.
An X10 PowerFlash can be triggered by a set of magnetic dry contacts or a low voltage on its input.
A WGL PF8 has 8 inputs for contacts wired to it.
As does an Insteon I/OLinc. One of the few Insteon modules that still supports X10.

LAF

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 09:08:12 PM »

I think it would be a good project to hack a DS10A Door Sensor to transmit a HC/UC based message in place of the security type.  The "delay" switch could be used to select either HC or UC and the "Test" button and LED could be used to enter the respective values.  Or, maybe the HC/UC could simply be hard coded into the device.

I took the lid off one and see there's a single 18 pin DIP chip (a microcontroller?) labeled P10072E on a sticker and H10219 on the chip itself.  Googling either shows nothing of use but someone may be able to figure it out.  :)

Apart from that Brian, do you have any more info on adding a switch to a motion sensor?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »

Tom's web site is one of the few X10 related sites still online.
http://www.laureanno.com/
In the Tom's X10 Modifications is one on the MS12A/MS13A for a magnetic switch. The newer ones have a different circuit and may not be done the exact same way. I will check my archives and see if any of the later Motion Sensors have a magnetic switch modification.

Many of the others like Shed and the Home Automation Knowledge Base are gone. Not sure if buried deep in maybe the Wayback Machine may still have an archive. They both had much good data on modification of X10 modules.

Hacking the older DS10A and the present model DS12A {has two zones and a set of terminals for an external magnetic switch} Door/Window Sensors. For sending standard X10 messages. Would be a challenge. All the operating functions are programmed in the main chip. I have never seen any data on the source code for the programs or a replacement for the original chip.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:08:08 AM by Brian H »

LAF

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:33 PM »

Thanks Brian for the pointer to Tom's web site.  Looks like it is inactive now and I could find no contact info for Tom so was unable to suggest the DS10A hack to him.

However, used his instructions to add a door switch (taken from a spare DS10A) to the MS13A motion sensor and, after a bit of cursing (cramped circuit board and hard to get wire cutter and solder iron in there w/o screwups) it seems to work.  By a bit of trial and error discovered the motion sensor portion still works and the door open/close transmits on UC + 1.  I think this will be more useful than the MS13A alone as I found its triggering to be a bit erratic.  Also don't have to worry about the dog setting it off...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:56:46 AM »

The DS10A would require a new microprocessor chip, to send standard x10 messages. As all the message format is part of the firmware and can't be over written.

I think some of Ed Cheung's Automation is still active. Some included X10.
http://www.edcheung.com/automa/ha.htm

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 06:41:41 AM »

I took the lid off one and see there's a single 18 pin DIP chip (a microcontroller?) labeled P10072E on a sticker and H10219 on the chip itself.  Googling either shows nothing of use but someone may be able to figure it out.

Nearly all of the microcontrollers used by X10 were PICs from Microchip. They were unlabelled so all you can do is compare how the pins are used with 18-pin pinouts from Microchip.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

I think some of Ed Cheung's Automation is still active. Some included X10.
http://www.edcheung.com/automa/ha.htm

Tom's web site is one of the few X10 related sites still online.
http://www.laureanno.com/

Great (and in my case forgotten) links. Thank you for sharing.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.