Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do Not Disturb  (Read 4705 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Do Not Disturb
« on: September 23, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »

I recently downloaded (installed) the newest apple Operating System for my iPhone.... iOS 11.

My old iphone 6 now has the ability to determine when I am driving (or cycling). So now, the "Do Not Disturb" function (in settings) has allowed me to set the phone to automatically turn off text messages when I am out either driving my car or riding my bike... sending the "text sender" a predetermined message. The message tells "text senders" (in my trusted favorites listing, only) I am out and will check the messages when I get where I am going. The same function automatically sends a message that informs the favorite user how to over-ride the block in case of an urgent need.

Not home automation.... but pretty slick automation none the less. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:02:19 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Do Not Disturb
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:56:36 PM »

I saw that feature mentioned on one of my local TV news programs.

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »

I saw that feature mentioned on one of my local TV news programs.

I am an avid recreational [road] bicyclist and I see a LOT of distracted motorists texting and driving. I have to believe it would be safer for everyone (but mostly I am thinking of myself) if people used the automatic setting to delay the text function.

The last(?) big iPhone upgrade led me deeply into phone controlled HA. I really believe these phones are leading/advancing the way of technology... in the same way that computers did with the introduction of Window 95.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »

This was an option in Android a while back but I've never used it (beyond testing).  The issue at the time was that it required GPS being turned on.  At the time, that meant killing my battery.  As of today, I'd still turn it off.  Last time I forgot to turn off my GPS after navigation, my phone wanted me to rate the location I traveled to as well as others I walked past.  If you're going to spy on me, at least pretend it was a coincidence!   rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »

...... If you're going to spy on me, at least pretend it was a coincidence!   rofl

Oh those [old] days of pretending the NSA (National Security Agency) is not spying on Americans.... is l o n g gone. But we are still pretending that we don't spy on Canadians and Mexicans.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:40:54 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »

I should state that just because GPS is off, I don't have any belief that Google doesn't know where I am.  The phone towers provide a pretty good estimate anyway, so GPS is just a finer location.  I keep having to turn off the map history feature which "allows a user to see where they typically travel".  In reality, it simply shows that Google is keeping track of your daily movements for its own purposes.  They simply exposed that data to the user in case it could also help them.  By deleting the tracks, I have deleted my usage data but it doesn't touch the source that they will use for profit.  But, I somehow feel better about that fact that I've actively taken a stand against unsolicited tracking.   :'

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »

I should state that just because GPS is off, I don't have any belief that Google doesn't know where I am........  But, I somehow feel better about that fact that I've actively taken a stand against unsolicited tracking.   :'

So... you didn't know about the fake cell towers?

If you look around... you'll be able to spot these fake towers.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »

Why a fake tower.  The real towers can provide the same info with a simple warrant.  Must be for more localized data.  Unless these trick the phone into turning on GPS and sending that.  Either way, if you connect to a network that's 2-way, the info you send back isn't something that you can exactly control.

In Canada there was a long period (maybe continuing today, not sure) where residents could not subscribe to satellite TV.  There were methods that were available to get the service for free at the time.  The satellite companies knew about this issue and wanted to correct it (the stealing service, not the unavailable subscription).  The problem was, the signal is 1-way so they didn't have any way to track the pirates.  Cable TV pirates are different though.  Modern cable boxes are 2-way.  As a result, it was possible to easily view satellite TV for free but go to jail for the same with cable TV.  The point?  Well, if you have a 2-way signal, you are at the mercy of your provider because they can really do whatever they want and you can't do anything about it.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »

If you look around... you'll be able to spot these fake towers.
I wonder:
1. What looks different?
2. Is it really a tower?
3. Who is paying for this, the Fed? A cell tower is expensive. OR since stingrays simulate a cell tower operation is "Newsweak" confused, thinking there are really fake towers. I do not know what they mean by "nameless towers".

One should be able to check tower information through FAA and FCC. We used to get this information (early 1990s) at the local county seat via property records, FAA, FCC, etc.  I think all this information is now on the internet.   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:00:46 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »

1. What looks different?

They are a miniature version of a towers antenna array. Not more than 5 foot high.

2. Is it really a tower?

No... one (about a mile from my house) is mounted on the side of an office building, 3 or 4 floors up. With all the power lines, AC units, vents and so forth... no one ever notices.

3. Who is paying for this, the Fed? A cell tower is expensive. .......One should be able to check tower information through FAA and FCC.

I would guess these fake towers cost very little. A couple decades ago.... vendors were selling cellphone number stealing devices for I think $1200 bucks (at the Dayton Hamvention). Don't forget... these devices are merely stealing data... likely steaming it via a cable connection. They perform no actual "work".

If this is a NSA operation.... you'll never be able to get any info on the devices. Or the info you receive will be fake. We all know the government is monitoring every thing.... although not always or at all times.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »

Why a fake tower.  The real towers can provide the same info with a simple warrant....... 

I don't think anyone is looking for specific information. We don't live in an old black and white TV show world. The government isn't spying on spy's... or even on bad guys. This is about spying on the general population.

How can you find a bad guy mixed in with all the good guys?

Simple. You spy on the normal, average, everyday, good guys until you know exactly how they behave. Then you can instantly spot the bad guys.... because they behave differently. 

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

Yep. The concept or belief that there is some level of privacy when using a mass communication device (wired or wireless).... is mistaken.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »

Yep. The concept or belief that there is some level of privacy when using a mass communication device (wired or wireless).... is mistaken.
The NSA, Homeland, etc must be pulling in enormous amounts of data just from domestic communications. I don't see how they can store it, categorize it, catalog it, decide what to delete, etc. etc. etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.