Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Google Home and X10  (Read 23590 times)

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Google Home and X10
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:02:50 PM »

I currently control x10 from my phone, lights, etc, and can't figure out how to use google home or siri, etc. to do it. I downloaded the Hbridge thing, etc. ,but I'm still confused. Maybe I should make a new post with the title Google Home and X10?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Google Home and X10
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »

Maybe I should make a new post with the title Google Home and X10?
That certainly would help not make this thread any more confusing then it is! ;)
Done!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:17:50 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:58:36 PM »

I currently control x10 from my phone, lights, etc, and can't figure out how to use google home or siri, etc. to do it. I downloaded the Hbridge thing, etc. ,but I'm still confused. Maybe I should make a new post with the title Google Home and X10?

Exactly what/how are you controlling your X10 with your phone... what software/device are you using? I used the Melloware on my iPhone for years to control X10... with a server software that worked with my iPhone.... ONLY on the local network. But there are other ways.

That certainly would help not make this thread any more confusing then it is! ;)

I use an iPhone and Amazon echo. I also use a Wink hub and an MyQ Internet interface device (like a hub).

If we separate and break everything down my OS and brand name..... the number of specialized threads could get big. Not that the forum gets so much traffic lately that we can't handle it. But I don't think it would be less confusing.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »

If we separate and break everything down my OS and brand name..... the number of specialized threads could get big. Not that the forum gets so much traffic lately that we can't handle it.
True, however users that wish to use Google Home are less likely to look at a thread titled Amazon Echo and x10.
The number of threads  makes little difference to the forum size and makes info easier to find.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:01:29 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »

I currently control x10 from my phone, lights, etc, and can't figure out how to use google home or siri, etc. to do it. I downloaded the Hbridge thing, etc. ,but I'm still confused.
How are you still confused?
HA-Bridge does work with Google Home (so I've read)
Setting up HA=Bridge can be a bit confusing that's why I was asked to create Alex10 However Alex10 is a Windows based program only. :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

I noticed BestBuy had a Black Friday deal on the Google Home Mini (making it less then the Amazon Dot).
Walmart I'm told has it with a $25 Google coupon making it even cheaper in the US.
Since I'm not one for standing in line ups I ordered one online.
Once it comes in I'll post my findings to this thread.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lazydiyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 02:30:45 AM »

Hi, I bought a Google Home about a month ago and found out that Google / Philips have _very_recently_ changed the way they communicate with each other. I may not be fully informed here but as I understand it, HA Bridge uses Philips Hue emulation to interface with Google Home... bus since that mechanism has now changed, it means HA no longer works with Google Home.

I was very disappointed about that, but decided to research alternatives before returning the Google Home. I ended up using a combination of IFTTT and Melloware's free "X10 Commander" software for Windows. It took a couple hours of experimentation but I can now reliably use Google Home (via IFTTT) to turn my lights on & off.

A couple of unexpected perks: IFTTTT is very cool in itself, and Melloware has iPhone and Android apps that work with their server to give you EASY X10 control from your phone.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads-up anyone interested in using Google Home to control X10 devices.
But definitely double-check my info before you make your own decisions.

lazydiyer

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 06:55:07 AM »

Thanks for the info.
I had planned to use it with the HA-Bridge for some automation but picked it up more for its advanced knowledge base and search engine.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:17:31 PM »

....... decided to research alternatives before returning the Google Home. I ended up using a combination of IFTTT and Melloware's free "X10 Commander" software for Windows.

It took a couple hours of experimentation but I can now reliably use Google Home (via IFTTT) to turn my lights on & off.

Please.... describe what you did, lazydiyer.

I was using Melloware's X10 software.... since my iPhone 4. I installed the (free) server software on a tiny netbook-like laptop.... with a CM-19A. I then used my iPhone like a universal remote (as other apps allowed control of other devices as well).

A couple of unexpected perks: IFTTTT is very cool in itself, and Melloware has iPhone and Android apps that work with their server to give you EASY X10 control from your phone.

That sounds like a GREAT DIY solution that any and everyone would like to have in their toolbox. I am currently controlling X10 via a homeseer device... and it works beautifully but the Melloware stuff was flawless as well... and the app was very easy and intuitive to manage.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads-up anyone interested in using Google Home to control X10 devices. But definitely double-check my info before you make your own decisions.

I really think you've got something worth sharing here! Any details and/or directions you could post would certainly deserve your own thread.

My system is a bit complex... or at least far from simple. I am using Alexa (Amazons voice control) along with Homeseer controlled X10, and Wink controlled lights plus ihome devices and a MyQ (chamberlain) hub, garage door, and light module. Plus an additional HA PC running BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) and an AHP/CM15A... with a wired speaker(s) voice alert setup.

Since my Homeseer also uses a CM15A.... it would be great if I could just re-write my X10 macros and install Mellowares server software on the BVC Laptop.... and switch it over to a CM19A. But MORE IMPORTANTLY.... it would give me a chance to add/integrate Google into my setup.

I (of course) could be wrong.... but I believe Home Automation is where computers were at Before DOS (or maybe MS-DOS). When consumers no longer have to worry about "picking the right brand" or being pinned down to any one flavor or format of HA..... then we'll see real progress. IMHO.

links:
https://melloware.com/x10commander/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:02:40 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »

I had signed up to use IFTTT when I first got my Amazon Dot however many options (all Alexa options) I was interested in were not available in Canada.
I'll have to revisit this.
Can you post the steps you did lazydiyer? I found navigating IFTTT very difficult though it may have changed since I was there last.

I see you can also get Google home to work with Tasker so one could control X10 via it as well using a RM Broadlink.
Since HA Dave you have a Homeseer hub you'll have no problems and setup should be a breeze for you.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 11:25:13 PM »

..... Since HA Dave you have a Homeseer hub you'll have no problems and setup should be a breeze for you.

The Homeseer "hub" works flawlessly! I can (and do) control X10 using Alexa..... or my phone [app] from anywhere using Homeseer. I hope to do the same... with the RM Broadlink (it arrived today) after Christmas. And.... I would like to have the same abilities with the Melloware-IFTTT setup and a CM19A as well (since I may always have some sort of HA PC) .

I think.... no I am guessing... as the hubs cover/control more and more devices of different formats/flavors/brands.... we can own a couple (or three) hubs/devices that will EACH control everything. That way... as I do to some extent now... we can have overlap. so even a hub failure wouldn't have a major (if any) effect on a setup.

Redundancy.... would be a great addition to any HA setup.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:27:21 PM by HA Dave »

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »

Since HA-Bridge does not work with Google home what are other options right now thanks

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »

Since HA-Bridge does not work with Google home what are other options right now thanks

I have yet to try a Google device (Tuicemen just got one)..... but I am very interested in integrating as many flavors/brands of devices as I can into my setup. It doesn't appear (to me) that Google is as interested in HA as is Amazon.

But here... in lazydiyer November 26 post #7 below.... lazy mentions using AFTTT and the Melloware (free) download. Since I had used Melloware for years with a netbook-like laptop, a CM19A, and my iphone 4 I was very interested. But lazydiyer hasn't replied. Maybe we should to PM lazy. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:26:03 PM by HA Dave »

lazydiyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »

Hi, I'll be happy to pass on the IFTTT / Melloware info. Just kinda busy right now.
What I can say right now though is that IFTTT is very easy to use once you see a few examples.
It is however VERY finicky... a dash or a percent sign can make all the difference.

And of course, the trick is to find relevant and CURRENT examples, which was the biggest
obstacle when I was working it all out.

Anyway, don't worry about IFTTT. I can show you pretty much exactly how to do that part.
The troublesome part is configuring port forwarding on your home router. And setting up some sort
of dynamic dns.  IFTTT recommends duckdns and I tried it. Pretty easy to set up and working well.

I'll try to post a quick step-by-step on IFTTT this weekend.
In the meantime, if you don't know how to do it already, look up a tutorial on port forwarding for
your brand of router.

lazydiyer

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 11:42:41 PM »

Hi, I'll be happy to pass on the IFTTT / Melloware info. Just kinda busy right now..........
lazydiyer 

Thanks so much!

Stay tuned! It looks like we have a new option on the way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:44:21 PM by HA Dave »
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.