Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Amazon Key  (Read 5883 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Amazon Key
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »

..... It appears that this lock is a Kwikset smartkey lock as the physical locking mechanism.  I think it's fair to warn people that this is one of the worst locks available for residential service.  .........

I'm not going to touch the digital part because that's another issue.  But, if it literally takes zero skills and $2 worth of tools to open the door (cheaper than making a new key), I'm not impressed.

Yeah. That's my fault... I should have selected a better lock for the post. I apologize. Other locks can (and maybe SHOULD be used). Knightrider also warned us about the kwiket.

And the digital and procedural use of these locks.... are worth a whole new thread.

For my automated garage door.... it was simple. Being able to look at my phone (MyQ app) five minutes after I drove off... to see if I remembered to close the door.... was/is so much easier than circling back to look.

Then I was able to open the door for a delivery while out shopping. I got the phone call and said: OK I'll open the door... and close it when your done. I could view everything on my remote cameras (also an app on my phone). But letting someone into the garage.... in my mind... isn't the same as letting them in the house. And opening and closing the garage door is pretty easy.... we have simple buttons everywhere, key fob remote, regular remote, keypad, button by the entry door, phone app...

But.... how do we best use an automated electric door lock? Do we automate/lock it by..... motion sensors? So it locks when no one is home?

How do we unlock the door? Our phone? A remote? Finger print? key pad? What is simpler, safer, and easier than a old fashion metal key?

If we geo-fence the door lock... it locks when we drive off... and unlocks when we get home. But it would also stay unlocked while we sleep. Lots of questions. Lots of neat possibilities to exploit. 

As I post this.... I realize that some smart programmer at Amazon or someplace will likely solve this... and sell us the solution.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:00:19 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »

It's a cunning scheme to put me out of work.

Or an even more cunning scheme to make sure I spend the rest of my life installing mechanical deadbolts after the guy with the brown shirt takes more than he leaves.

:'
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »

It's a cunning scheme to put me out of work.
Or an even more cunning scheme to make sure I spend the rest of my life installing mechanical deadbolts after the guy with the brown shirt takes more than he leaves.

I'd never want to advocate anything that might hurt your employment. But as we all know.... most people who for-whatever-reason get locked out of their homes.... rarely have trouble breaking in.

When my Kwikset unit failed.... I was left wondering what damage might cost the least. But (after a few minutes of trying) I was able to get one last open out of the unit. But since most break-ins are committed by people less concerned about damage... my example and maybe your concerns make a moot point. I'd bet most people could let the FedX or UPS person in remotely 1000 time with no problem. And I'd also bet the person that did break-in would be jobless.... and just kick the door open.   

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 08:45:58 AM »

As Beelocks could tell you, the 5 tumbler Kwikset is easy to "bump" or pick or defeat mechanically.

As far as EMS, I am one. We always preach "Try before you pry". Still, sometimes we call L.E. and break down the door. My brother once did this at my grandmother's house during a life alert call. I spent the next day rebuilding an odd/antique jamb. Told brother, "Next time, just break a sidelight and open from the inside. Glass is easier to repair."

Morel of the story:
"No mater how secure you THINK it is, there's always a workaround. "
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »

As far as EMS, I am one. We always preach "Try before you pry". ..... Morel of the story:
"No mater how secure you THINK it is, there's always a workaround. "

I was waiting for you to mention your affiliation with EMS and FD's. I remember back when alarms were a big part of the questions around here people would often get fixated on a single detail of some sort. I also remember that locally... several years ago (at Christmas time) thieves literally used a chainsaw to cut an opening in the wall of a home... and carried away the presents from under the tree.

We do what we can... good doors, windows, locks, safes, alarms, procedures, insurance, and the number of a good general contractor.

bcwmachine

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »

Not everyone lives where I do. I have not locked a door in the last 20 years. I also don't have anything out in the open that I can't live without. The important stuff is in a safe that can't be hauled off.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »

Not everyone lives where I do. I have not locked a door in the last 20 years. ........The important stuff is in a safe that can't be hauled off.

I never used to lock my doors... until I had a family. However.... I wouldn't recommend anyone NOT lock their door. I've often posted that I keep things locked up.... to protect that troubled kid that knows the neighbors kid. (because my neighbors kids would NEVER do anything wrong). So many (mostly boys) ruin their lives with mistakes made in their teen years. My security concerns begin.... with helping make sure my neighbors kids don't find an easy way to get themselves in trouble.

Safes are good but being old myself... my wife and I would be considered prime targets by most [criminally minded] youth for... a medicine cabinet raid. Believe it or not... that's a real thing. What does elderly women do when they catch an 18 year old rummaging for pills (and maybe gold jewelry)?

If a real, adult, professional, thief wants what is in your safe.... he will have it. And there is nothing you can do about it. But mostly all we have to do is the normal amount of prevention... to make so many OTHER PEOPLE a much easier (more desirable) target than ourselves. And that is really... pretty much all we can or have to do.

But a fortress won't protect someone who can't reach the phone... or answer the door. Fortunately... we have technology for that. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:40:59 PM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.