Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Augment Reality when shopping with Amazon  (Read 2453 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Augment Reality when shopping with Amazon
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »

Amazon is offering augmented reality (using an iPhone) when shopping for products at Amazon. I haven't had a change to see/use this feature yet.... but it sure sounds like good automation to me.

The same link as above:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/amazons-ar-shopping-feature-previews-products-in-your-home/ar-AAuk7Mq?ocid=spartandhp
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Augment Reality when shopping with Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »

Preordered my third Echo today (11/06/17 release for Echo 2nd generation). One for downstairs. We seldom use any of the remotes anymore.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »

Sounds like a cool idea.  I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this advertised by HD or Lowes for paint.  For home furnishings and finishes, this is a pretty spectacular ability.  That said, I'm wondering how it gets the scale correct.  I looked at the Ikea link and they show a picture of a yellow chair on a bear skin rug.  The chair looked HUGE!   rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »

I love this stuff!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »

I saw on the news just last night where a local realtor has developed a similar app for users looking at purchasing a home.
It allows users to see if and where all their furniture will fit.
They expect it to be available to all realtors by the end of this year.
It also allows the user to try different paint colors for the rooms.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »

I saw on the news just last night where a local realtor has developed a similar app for...........

Who knows... we may see a Virtual Mall in the near future.

I think the greatest use of AR (Augment Reality) might be in Virtual Presence devices/apps. I mean anyone with grandkids have learned how nice a video call can be. Imagine slipping the phone into your headset (I have one) and setting down at the table (or just in the theater) with an old buddie, child, grandchild.... or whatever.

Eventually.... with a properly configured and customized cloud based... (chat-bot format)... Web Site. Even (a virtual representation of) the deceased with be able to make short visits.

It ticks me off that politically caused doldrums along with an aging population and fearful Luddites... slowed so much of the technological progress these past few years. We have so much potential for change and progress ahead! 

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »

Preordered my third Echo today (11/06/17 release for Echo 2nd generation). One for downstairs. We seldom use any of the remotes anymore.

Still contemplating my next (3rd) unit. I wouldn't mind having one (as an alarm clock) in the bedroom. Or one for music and news in the bathroom. Of course downstairs (basement/man cave/theater) would be good too. Not to mention one of the screen units in the Kitchen.   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »

Still contemplating my next (3rd) unit. I wouldn't mind having one (as an alarm clock) in the bedroom. Or one for music and news in the bathroom. Of course downstairs (basement/man cave/theater) would be good too. Not to mention one of the screen units in the Kitchen.   
I'm also contemplating another though I suspect I'll try a Google home device as they are easier to get in Canada.
From what I read they have access to more info using Googles search engine and less often stumped for a reply.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Tuicemen link=topic=29943.msg170018#msg170018 date=150973304

I'm also contemplating another though I suspect I'll try a Google home device as they are easier to get in Canada.
From what I read they have access to more info using Googles search engine and less often stumped for a reply.
Yes, I think Google Home, because of it's ancestry, is more expansive in searches and responses. But as far as home automation, Alexa does very well and may have more "skills" than Google. i.e. I don't think Google can talk to Homeseer.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:47:20 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 06:13:24 PM »

..... I'm also contemplating another though I suspect I'll try a Google home device as they are easier to get in Canada.

It's true. A friend has added the Google unit. It is helpful for the kids with their homework.... whereas the Echo seemed useless.

And Microsoft has also entered the fray with Harman Kardon Invoke. I don't know what MS is offering (other than an also ran) as of yet.

I am with you. I like the idea of getting as much of a variety of brands and flavors of this stuff working together as possible. None of the brands have all the best of everything.... but mixing and matching might allow users of HA products the best of everything. Amazon gives me the very best of free music (as a prime member).... and google could give me the best and most relevant search info.

Still.... by my count I need 5 units. And maybe more if MS and/or google aren't as good at working with HA devices.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:15:37 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.