Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need to replace a JDS TimeCommander...what are my options?  (Read 2630 times)

BamaPen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need to replace a JDS TimeCommander...what are my options?
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »

I have been using X-10 since the early 1980s, and my very first computerized automation used an Apple II+.  Over the years, I have moved and added to X-10 devices in seven different houses, and I've become quite accustomed to what it does for me.

Quite a while back, I added a JDS Technologies TimeCommander into the mix, and it has served me well, but I'm afraid that it is slowly dying, in addition to the fact that the programming softward, called Event Manager, will not run under any Windows since XP, and my only remaining XP computer, an old laptop, is on its last legs as well.  So, I need to find a replacement for the old TimeCommander.

My primary uses are:
1. Programmed lights that come on and off at various times daily.  The TimeCommander calculates Sunrise and Sunset and many of my events are based on those calculations.
2. Easy remote control of lights, especially in a few situations where two or more different wall switches are involved.
3. Seasonal lights, such as lawn decorations or Christmas Tree.

I use X-10 wall switches, lamp and appliance modules, Socket Rockets, and wireless remote switches and remote controllers with their matching receiver modules.  I occasionally set up a motion detector module as well, and have used the old Burglar Alarm Interface (but not for burglar alarms).

The TimeCommander has a macro capability that is quite useful.  For example, my hallway has four different light fixtures, so I have each of those on an X-10 wall switch.  Via a simple macro, a press of a particular wireless remote turns all four lights on or off, and another button, on my bedstand, executes an All Lights On command to all the house codes.  I don't get much more complicated than that.

I'd be very interested to hear what suggestions you may have for such a replacement.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Need to replace a JDS TimeCommander...what are my options?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »

The Cm15 is what I'd currently recommend with ActiveHome Pro (free software).
This is still an old device and software but runs well with Windows 10.
However you may wish to wait for the X10 Wi-Fi module which has been in development for some time and is rumored to be released soon. This requires no PC but a Smartphone and app to set it up.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BamaPen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.

OK, I just read the CM15a manual and it does look like a pretty good replacement for the old TimeCommander. 

One thing is not quite clear: once I have used ActiveHome Pro to define what I want to happen, is that then downloaded into the CM15a and it then operates independently of my PC, i.e.: whether the PC is running or not?

Also, the X10 site says that they do not offer the ActiveHome software for the CM15a, yet the manual clearly describes how to use the software.  What is the story there?  Is there software or not?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »

Quite a while back, I added a JDS Technologies TimeCommander into the mix, and it has served me well, but I'm afraid that it is slowly dying, in addition to the fact that the programming softward, called Event Manager, will not run under any Windows since XP, and my only remaining XP computer, an old laptop, is on its last legs as well.

I had a similar issue with some old programs, including the Carrier/Bryant HVAC program.  The solution for most of them has been to run them in the XP Emulation mode in Windows 7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »

One thing is not quite clear: once I have used ActiveHome Pro to define what I want to happen, is that then downloaded into the CM15a and it then operates independently of my PC, i.e.: whether the PC is running or not?
yes the cm15 doesn't need to be connected to the PC for things downloaded to it.
Some macros however need the PC to operate but AHP will let you know if the macro needs to be run from the PC
Also, the X10 site says that they do not offer the ActiveHome software for the CM15a, yet the manual clearly describes how to use the software.  What is the story there?  Is there software or not?
the sales site does show the software as unavailable but if you go to the page and scroll down there is a link.
you can also get the down load from my site. http://tuicemen.com/downloads/Unregistered_AHP.exe
In either case you will also need AHP-Lifejacket to register and remove the registration nags
http://tuicemen.com/downloads/freestuff/ahp_lifejacket_setup.exe
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »

I'd be very interested to hear what suggestions you may have for such a replacement.
Back in the "ole timey days" I had the Enerlogic 1400, whose competition was the JDS Time Commander. Both used a basterdized Basic DOS program for building the "schedule". All IF, Then, Else statements. I now use Homeseer 3.0. Which ain't cheap, but does so much. It sounds like you would be best served by AHP and the CM15A. But you might check in to Homeseer.com before writing the check.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »

If you haven't abandoned your Time Commander yet you can run it on 32 bit versions of WIN7 & WIN 10.  I have (and am quite happy with) my JDS Stargate which uses essentially the same Event Manager s/w.  I bought a refurb laptop on ebay with the 32 bit version of WIN7 and it runs perfectly.  It's connected to the JDS box via a serial to USB adapter.  From my "main" PC, a WIN10 64 bit box, I access the laptop as needed with TeamViewer. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.