Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15a turns lamps off but not on  (Read 2873 times)

Old Duffer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15a turns lamps off but not on
« on: November 03, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »

I have a CM15a that runs 4 X-10 devices.  It will turn ON and OFF the LEV-6381 wall switch module according to the stored timer. It will not turn ON any of the three LM465 lamp modules but it will reliably turn OFF all of the three LM465 modules.

I can control all the modules for on and off functions, without a problem, using the HR12a Palm Pad Remote Control.  If I turn them ON with the Remote Control, the CM15a will turn them OFF at the proper times using the stored timer settings.  To me that indicates that the CM15a output signal strengths, etc. must be within limits.

I have redone and reloaded the timers a number of times to no avail.  The CM15a has fresh batteries. The CM15a is plugged into the house outlet wiring sequence on the same circuit breaker as three of the devices.

I have printed out the General Report and it shows the on/off times exactly as I have them programed into the CM15a.  So I am reasonably sure of my programming.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about how to fix this issue?   I am a long time X-10 user and never had any issues until about 3 months ago.  I am just about ready to give up on X-10 and switch to some other method to control my lighting.  This issue and my inability to satisfactorily control LED and CFL bulbs is pushing toward this decision. 

Help would be appreciated.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15a turns lamps off but not on
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

Are the LM465 modules Soft Start? Where they ramp On and Off.
Are you using the latest AHP 3.318?
If the modules are not Soft Start. In the drop down modules list. Use the Old Lamp (Before Soft Start) tab.
The Lamp Module Tab is for the Soft Start Modules and sends an Extended X10 command to turn them On. That the old modules do not respond to.

The LM465 dimmer module is not designed for CFL and LED loads.
Some times LED or CFL bulbs rated to be on a dimmer may work with an LM465.
Newer designed CFL Friendly Appliance Modules are best for CFL and LED loads.

The LEV-6381 steals the power through the load and should only be used on an Incandescent load.

The HR-12A sends the standard X10 On Off codes so all the modules are responding.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:00:23 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »

The HR12a Palm Pad Remote Control sends standard on/off commands. which both old style lamp modules and softstart type both respond to.
AHP sends extended commands for ON to softstart lamp modules which old non softstart type modules will not respond to.
This is so a softstart lamp module can come on to the last set brightness.

Check the lamp types in AHP as Brian suggested.
Besides what version of AHP, what windows version is it running on?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

Tic the "issue ON instead of bright 100%" box.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Old Duffer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »

Thanks for the multiple responses, i will have to work through the suggestions and hints.

My LM465's are rather old so I doubt that they are Soft Start.  I assume that means I should rebuild the Timers using the No-Soft Start version LM465 from the drop down list.

That leaves open the operation of the LEV-6381 wall switch.  It is the oldest module that I own and it works flawlessly.  Not with LED's or CFL's but it works.

I do have the latest version of AHP 3.318 running on Win10.

I have one lamp that has 2 sockets so I tricked it by putting a CFL in one socket and an incandescent in the other.  It seemed to work until recently.

It was suggested that I Tic the "issue ON instead of bright 100%" box.   Not sure how to do that.

The operation of LED and CFL's with X-10 has been an ongoing issue.  i usually find a way around it but that is becoming increasingly difficult as I convert more of my lights and fixtures to LED.  I actually sort of liked the very soft glow of the LED Christmas tree lights when they were supposed to be off. 

If continuing on X-10 with LED's means buying all new X-10 modules and controllers that may push me to finally abandoning my old favorite X-10 system.   I still have my first controller, the old non-battery backup version.

I will try the other suggestions to see if they will resolve my issues, I will report back.

Thank You.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 03:47:19 PM »

The LEV-6381 may use extended X10 messages.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:09 PM »

If continuing on X-10 with LED's means buying all new X-10 modules and controllers that may push me to finally abandoning my old favorite X-10 system.   I still have my first controller, the old non-battery backup version.
From your early post: " I am a long time X-10 user and never had any issues until about 3 months ago. "

You should buy lottery tickets because you are very lucky.  rofl

I have converted 90% of home to LED lighting. Like you, I have some fixtures with an incandescent bulb in the mix to keep my X10 wall switches happy.

However FWIW my Lamp Modules and my Wall Switches seem happy when they are driving LED dimmable bulbs. With only two exceptions, the dimmable bulbs leak enough current to make my Wall Switches happy. The two exceptions are old switches, and have incandescent bulbs snuck in the circuit. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.