Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wrong module turns off  (Read 11359 times)

cajunfries

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wrong module turns off
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

Hello - hope someone can help with this annoying problem. 
I have light & appliance modules #3-12 in my house, #6 being a plug-in in the living room and #12 a wall switch in the master bedroom.  Every night when I go to bed, I first turn on #12 (master), then from upstairs, I turn off #6 (living).  90% of the time, #12 goes off at the same time.  Sometimes #12 shuts off along with other numbers also, but not always.

Equipment is a mixture of X-10, Sears, and Radio Shack modules & controllers, both plug-in and hand-held, also have various repeaters thru the house, and have the phase coupler in the laundry room. Issue is the same no matter which controller I use from where.

Really no other issues with any other modules except #12.
I've found similar, but not exact problems on the forum, but those solutions aren't doing anything for me.  Suspicious that it's b/c #12 is the last one in the list, but doesn't really make sense.
Any ideas?  Much appreciated.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Wrong module turns off
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »

You don't say what type of controller you are using to turn on/off these lights.  If you use a controller to turn on one light and then turn off the other, it is possible that the controller is missing a command.  IOW, X10 sends a command for the unit and then one for the action.  So, you would have the following traffic:

1) A12 (master bedroom light)
2) A-ON (turn on active modules on A)
3) A6 (living room light)
4) A-OFF (turn off active modules on A)

If Command 3 were missed by A12, it would think it's still in the active module set.  I'd guess that you have some signal issues but you haven't stated that everything outside of this works 100%, so it's a guess.

cajunfries

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »

bkenobi - thanks for the reply (and being the only one so far!).

Not to nitpick, but I did state "Equipment is a mixture of X-10, Sears, and Radio Shack modules & controllers".  I typically turn ON #12 from a handheld controller (I think it's a Powerhouse), then after going upstairs, I turn OFF #6 from another hand-held controller, and it turns #12 off at the same time.  However, I have experimented with each controller, and this issue still happens whether it's going thru a repeater or via a plug-in controller.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »

All the brands you pointed out. Where all made by X10WTI and privately labeled for the different vendors.
They should all act the same.

Did you point out the X10 addresses you are using on the modules?

As pointed out. If the first module acts on its command and then you command another module. If it does not see the second modules different address. It may still be acting on the command meant for the second module only. If the House Codes of both are the same.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »

Different brands back in the day were all the same effectively.  But, what I was getting at was not the brand, but the type of module (wall switch, Appliance module, lamp module, RF remote, mini controller, transceiver, etc).  In the end, I still stand by my guess that the first half of the second command is most likely not being seen by the first module.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »

Another possibility (which is one I experienced myself) is that you have a marginal contact on the #12 unit code switch.  Unit codes 6 and 12 just differ by one bit in X10 land, so a marginal contact could cause it to occasionally respond to the wrong code.  To rule this out just spin the unit code switch around a few times to clean off any oxidation.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.