Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Video doorbells anyone?  (Read 1866 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Video doorbells anyone?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2024, 03:44:39 PM »

After further review, it appears that the doorbell camera at Walmart is an earlier model that isn't compatible for my needs.  Guess I'll trek to BestBuy this weekend and see if they have anything.  I could order from Amazon too, just hate doing that all the time for everything.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Video doorbells anyone?
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2024, 01:36:26 PM »

I have tried several doorbells and none will work fully.  I really liked the Eufy doorbell camera, but it does not support RTSP and as such can't link to my NAS for recording.  Amazon does sell a package that includes both the camera and the homebridge that may be an option, but I'd rather not do that since then I'd be locking my videos onto their NVR which appears closed to whatever they allow.

I tried Wyze (2 options) and both do not work with my chime.  I tried Blink and it does work well, but has no local storage or streaming and requires a subscription.  My original Ring v1 is ok but to do anything really requires a subscription and there is no native stream support (though there may be a hacky way to access one).

I've done a lot of research so far and there are candidates that look promising, but that assumes online reviews are still valid (if mfg turns off a feature, has the review been updated?) and accurate.

At this point, it appears that the options are:
  • Reolink PEO doorbell could work if I wanted to go down the hacky route.  It would require adding a 433mhz receiver in the doorbell to pick up the transmitted signal from the doorbell.
  • EZViz DB1 which has a lot of clones appears to fit all check boxes.  It hasn't been tested with motorized mechanical chimes, but having a battery internal suggests it should work fine.
  • Amcrest AD410 (or AD110) has been confirmed to work with my NAS and software and has a pair of capacitors internal so it should work with my chime.
  • Foscam VD1 looks like a real option...except it has stopped production.  Too bad since it ticked all the boxes.
  • Upiquiti G4 Pro appears to have all the capabilities anyone could want, but it costs a small fortune ($300 MSRP).  I wanted to install 3 so if I had to go this route, I'd probably opt for something simpler/cheaper for the other locations that won't likely be affected by the motorized chime.  I'd much prefer common cameras though (at least in brand), so this is not a likely option.

I'm thinking the best option is to get the EZViz, Amcrest, and Foscam (if I can find one) in hand to see which will work best.  Don't think they are available locally though.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.