Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blast from the past!  (Read 4893 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Blast from the past!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »

@brobin: It's nice to see another comp.home.automation alum here. Welcome!
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »

Thanks Dave! Good to be here!

brobin

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 01:15:36 PM »

As a tribute to the 40th anniversary of the GE Homeminder and my personal 40 year anniversary as an X-10 user please enjoy this video I found on YouTube!  Hard to believe it's been 40 years and even harder to believe the technology is still relevant today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PsBwl0loc

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2024, 03:22:16 PM »

Thank you for the blast from the past link.

Tipiford

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 06:24:26 PM »

As a tribute to the 40th anniversary of the GE Homeminder...

Did you note the cool coax connection in the video?

guyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 07:43:00 PM »

I did notice the stunning video graphics!

brobin

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 08:08:18 PM »

As a tribute to the 40th anniversary of the GE Homeminder...

Did you note the cool coax connection in the video?
I noticed he cross-threaded it.  The HomeMinder hooked up to the TV like a video game. When I had one I used it for timed events as it was too cumbersome for direct control.  I had the ultrasonic remotes & 16 channel controllers for that.  Although the HomeMinder claims a battery backup, it wasn't very good and I remember having to reprogram the thing from scratch too many times. When the CP-290 came out I happily retired the HomeMinder.  After moving to a new home in '94 I bought a JDS Time Commander which was awesome and then graduated to the more capable JDS Stargate which I still use today!

Esgelrothion

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2024, 04:27:04 AM »

Hi Bob!

I have a HomeMinder that I use every day, and has been in continual use since I bought my first house over a year ago. It controls all my lights on a schedule, and the roller shades in my bedroom. I replaced almost all the wall switches with X-10 switches, and can also control them with a few "control center" banks of RF switches throughout the house, and also have a few motion sensors hooked up, too. I absolutely love it!

I had the same concerns as you do about the overheating IC. If you haven't yet opened it up, let me tell you, the Home Minder is not fun to crack open! inside, all the relevant components are contained inside a shielded metal box that's soldered shut in either four or six places. One you get it open there's a fairly compact circuit board that's solidly attached to the shield. I think the video IC is on the underside of that board, inaccessible without more effort than I cared to put in. I had purchased a heat sink, thermal paste, etc, and was ready to do what I could, but when I finally got it open and saw what I was dealing with I realized I was in over my head and that I'd rather just chance the video IC overheating eventually. I put it in a fairly open location with good airflow, so hopefully it'll stay pretty cool! So far, so good - no issues whatsoever at all! At some point I'll purchase another HomeMinder unit just to have it on standby just in case this one goes bad.

I've got the manual floating around here somewhere but it wasn't of much use in this case. Unfortunately I lost my scanner to a flood so I can't send it to you, I'm afraid! Best of luck if you do try to add some cooling to the unit - let us know how it goes!

P.S. if you set the date to 1996 the days of the week should line up with the months, taking into account that this is a leap year!

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.