Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 pin 466 appliance module (2017 review)  (Read 6076 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
3 pin 466 appliance module (2017 review)
« on: December 08, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »

I just received a couple of these and it appears the new relays have finally made it into these.  ;)
The days of the noisy relay detectable from the other end of the house when an appliance module changes state are gone! :)%
Gee just when I was getting use to that! rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 3 pin 466 appliance module (2017 review)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »

Thank you for the update.
The clunk heard across the house was a minus when automating things.
I would think the two pin version will be the same.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »

I also expect the two pin module to have this though not many things now use 2 pin anymore so the old stock for these may be greater.
So far I've not noticed any other differences, but I just had to post about the relay.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »

I just received a couple of these and it appears the new relays have finally made it into these.  ;).....

How do the act with low-wattage LEDs?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »

I just received a couple of these and it appears the new relays have finally made it into these.  ;)
"Tuice" Do you know if these are now being shipped? Or are these ones that Authinx sent you for testing?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

In the X10Pro line.
There is a new PAM06 that is listed as a new version of  PAM02. Three pin appliance module. With AGC
Though the sales page didn't specify quieter relay.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »

These were in a order of cameras along with some new lamp modules (LM465)
I asked about them as I hadn't asked for these. Both are production versions not prototypes. I was told local sensing has been removed to make them more compatible with LEDs and these were what both modules would be like moving forward. I'm told the relay has been improved from the earlier silent version but I dont see a difference.
I'm unsure if you ordered one that you'd get these versions as I'm sure they wish to use up the old stock first.
However I'll try to find out if the old stock is used up or you can specify these.
I'll start a review thread for the new lamp module once I've experimented with some low wattage LEDs, now that I know there have been improvements made.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »

Ok I just tested this with a non Dimmable 1 watt LED and it does truly go completely off though I'll know 100% for sure once it is completely dark out. ;)
I also used a 27 watt dimmable LED and it performed the same.
Although I removed all my compact florescent bulbs I managed to find an old 9 watt and tested it.
On and off worked as it should thought the relay seemed a bit louder with it. :o
Maybe I was just listening closer for the sound. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »

Ok I just tested this with a non Dimmable 1 watt LED and it does truly go completely off though I'll know 100% for sure once it is completely dark out. ;)
I also used a 27 watt dimmable LED and it performed the same.
Although I removed all my compact florescent bulbs I managed to find an old 9 watt and tested it.
On and off worked as it should........

Yea!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »

I wasn't expecting a reply about stock till Monday but the Owner just emailed me stating:
Both modules can be bought now. The local sense was phasing put about the time we took over but what has changed is the relay.
All old stock has been used up! :)%
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

After playing with this new module I'm on the fence about the local sensing being removed.
There are some situations where you will want to turn on the device plugged into the module manually.
If the module is in the off state this isn't possible, that means you have to find a remote. This will degrade my WAF which has been slowly gaining. :(
I emailed the owner about their plans to offer modules with either local sensing or with it removed.
Update:
The owner replied and sees the need for both versions of the modules.
Though the lamp module I don't see as being very popular with local sensing as few LEDs work with them.
He has agreed they may need to create both versions though the supply of modules with local control will be a small amount. :)%
I suspect the supply of appliance modules with local sensing will need to be replenished sooner then the lamp modules.
 >!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:49:40 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »

There are some situations where you will want to turn on the device plugged into the module manually.
If the module is in the off state this isn't possible, that means you have to find a remote.
The owner replied and sees the need for both versions of the modules.
He has agreed they may need to create both versions though the supply of modules with local control will be a small amount. :)%
It would take another + three years of development but this is a situation where a module with a "local control" by-pass switch OR simple by-pass programming would be a solution. Having to set up part numbers, warehouse space, data base, etc. for a new module which is very, very, similar to another module is costly. I never understood why X10 WTI continued to offer a two pin and three pin version of the same Appliance Module. I suppose they made a little more profit on the three pin.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 06:32:43 AM »

There are some older homes. With the old two prong outlets. Even no ground wire in the Romex.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:32:20 AM »

It would take another + three years of development but this is a situation where a module with a "local control" by-pass switch OR simple by-pass programming would be a solution. 
rofl
Authinx has been toying with several ideas for local sensing over the past few years the simple switch may have been over looked  ::) :'
The by past programing I think is what they had been looking at and as we've seen with the Wi-Fi module that is what delays everything. ::) :'
I pitched the switch option to the owner so end users could decide what they needed. ;)

There are some older homes. With the old two prong outlets. Even no ground wire in the Romex.
My house never had any 3 prong outlets in fact I remember going to the hardware store looking with my dad for some to swap out and the 3 prong outlets were not readily available.
Today it is hard to find the 2 prong outlets.
Most insurance companies are demanding older houses get rewired and when that happens all outlets are updated to the three prong.
I suspect X10 may faze out the two prong modules.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »

To me the best option would be an updated socket rocket that has a push button toggle switch.  That way the switch is in the lamp, where you want it.  It would also be nice if they also made a wired in version that would replace your socket rather than screw into an existing socket.

As for 2 pin appliance modules, they are also useful when plugging into an extension cord.  Yes you can get grounded extension cords, but most lamp extension cords are 2 pin.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.