Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using older cams etc...  (Read 2186 times)

ko4qc1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Using older cams etc...
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »

...with todays technology....I have a box full of older x10 products that I used way back in the VHS days...wireless pan/tilt cams,door/window sensors etc....are there adapters for HDMI etc?...TIA....
Joe

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Using older cams etc...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:08:47 AM »

Interesting.  I tried to find something similar a while back and I could only find HDMI->RCA not the other way.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »

I have a box full of older x10 products that I used way back in the VHS days........are there adapters for HDMI etc?
Joe

I love pounding the last dime of value out of aging technology! My current Home Automation computer... running my AHP and more... is an XP laptop I bought in 2001 or 02. 

I've used/experimented with HDMI conversion. It works well enough... if your equipment is good enough. The old X10 cameras are/were great little devices (in their time). I continued to use one (connected to an on-line cloud capable DVR setup) until just about a year ago. But the old TV, 4:3 format, at 360X240 pixels doesn't work well with modern TV's.... and is a crappy image compared to even the cheapest new setups (under $200).

Convert your old home movies (VHS) to DVD (or Blu-ray).... and cut your losses. Camera technology has moved on... we need to keep up.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:16:30 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »

Interesting.  I tried to find something similar a while back and I could only find HDMI->RCA not the other way.

The entertainment industry had lobbied for restrictions about image conversion.... fearing easy pirating. As the technology advanced those fears became outdated. 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »

The entertainment industry had lobbied for restrictions about image conversion.... fearing easy pirating. As the technology advanced those fears became outdated.

That's what I figured.  My recollection was that the only way to get the device I was looking for was out of china and below the table.  The MIAA had forced the technology to be banned at the time, so I wasn't going to find a viable solution.  I round-filed the project and moved on.  I'm not resurrecting it when I can just get new equipment that serves the purpose for less at this point.  In this case, I'd probably opt for the OP to do the same as even the cheapest Chinese cameras are better than what X10 considered top of the line.  The only down side is that you end up sending your pictures overseas as well.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »

I was putting a bid on some old x10 cameras and equipment on eBay recently but some silly bids went in so I backed off. Glad I did too. I've enough old tech junk in the attic to fill a warehouse.

Came across a Homevision Pro unit too but the seller messed me about so I passed on it. It looked like an interesting piece of equipment to play around with and it was expensive in its day but looked well past it's sell by date. The single board computer does all and more these days at a fraction of the cost and overhead.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »

........ even the cheapest Chinese cameras are better than what X10 considered top of the line.  The only down side is that you end up sending your pictures overseas as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about Chinese hackers (or algorithms) reviewing security camera images... of drive ways and patios.

Although I am NOT the person here that warns people about hacker threats... there are threats. The concern would be that by allowing routing (through a foreign server) to a security DVR (of sorts).... you may also give permission to the same foreign server to connect (and share information) with every PC on your home network.

Everyone should do their homework when setting a home network.... or avoid the home network completely. And run PC's in a limited user mode (never admin mode) with NO file/information sharing between your PC's and/or devices. A little deliberate thoughtfulness and caution can go a long way to safely exploiting these great technologies.

And lastly.... expect to be hacked! Consider keeping sensitive information on a disconnected mobile HD or thumb drive. Use solid passwords... and never keep the passwords in email folders or on your PC.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:57:52 PM by HA Dave »

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »

I imagine the biggest security risk these days is a misplaced smartphone. An instant access point to anybody's world. Amazing how much time is spent on securing home networks yet someone can get up from a table and accidentally leave their smartphone behind.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »

I imagine the biggest security risk these days is a misplaced smartphone.......

My phone gets locked out... EVERY time I lay it down. And it can be tracked down and locked-out/shut down remotely. The ONLY thing I up load to the cloud are pictures (everyone clean enough to be published in the local paper). Plus.. I only load it with funds/money via pre-purchased iTunes cards (no credit card info or web links to sites that carry credit card info).

ko4qc1

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies...looks like its going on ebay as a pkg deal....one of these days :>)...Thanks again

ko4qc1

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »

OOPS!!!...forgot about this post and reposted a similar ?...sorry
Thanks for the replies folks...:>)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.