🛡Home Security > Problems and Troubleshooting

Generating TWO X10 signals using TWO PSC01, when receiving an alarm signal

(1/4) > >>

Ardi:
If I connect ONE PSC01 to an input alarm signal, and generate an X10 signal (for example to generate A1 to turn on the landscaping lights), it works fine.

However, when I connect a SECOND PSC01, to the same alarm signal, to generate a second X10 signal (for example to generate A2 to turn on the flood lights also), neither one works.

Q.  How can the same alarm signal be used to generate two distinct X10 signals?  Let say A1 (for some landscaping lights), and A2 (for flood lights)?  I amusing PSC01 to generate the X10 signals.

Q.  Could the problem be that the TWO PSC01 receive the same alarm signal at the same exact time, and the generation of two X10 code at the same time be the issue?  Somehow the X10 code being distorted?

Brian H:
Q1 You can not generate two X10 commands at the same time with PSC01 modules.
Q2 Correct. The PSC01 is not polite and checks for power line activity. Two sending at the same time will corrupt both commands. You should be able to test each one separately to double check both are OK alone.

Ardi:
Hi Brian,

The source of the alarm signal is a photocell beam breakage.  Meaning that, when someone walk through a photocell beam.  The photocell beam device is NOT cable of sending a signal now, and another identical signal in a few seconds, to get around the two PSC01 issue.

Q1.  Can I buy a hardware and connect it to the wire that goes to the second PSC01, to delay the 2nd X10 signal by a few seconds, so that I do not collide two X10 signal at the same time?  If the answer is, you do NOT know, then,  I am surprised that no one has build such a harware for the X10 community.

Q2.  Would you know/guess, how many seconds delay I need to place between each X10 signals, to keep the signals NOT to collide with each other?

Thank U in advance for taking the time to answer.

Brian H:
As for someone making such a device. You are the first user to want to use two PSC01 modules triggered by one source.
That I know of.

I will see if I can find anything out.
Does the photocell give a dry closure with the PSC01 in Mode B or a low voltage with the PSC01 in Mode A?
That information may help.

I don't know the time required for an X10 message to be sent off hand.
I will see what I can find out.

One thing I just thought of.
When using Mode B Dry Contact Input. There is a small sensing voltage on the Input Pins. Make sure with two PSC01s. Both + terminals are wired to one of the dry contacts and both - terminals  are wired to the other dry contact. Not + of one PSC01 with - on the other PSC01.

Ardi:
Hi Brian,

Your Q.  "Does the photocell give a dry closure with the PSC01 in Mode B"?

A.  Yes.  I have tested and use Input Mode "B", and it works perfectly.  FYI.  More detail.... I used Input Mode "A" and could not generate X10 signal out of the PSC01 using the photocell beams, and switched to Input Mode "B" and it worked fine.   

Your Q.  "Make sure with two PSC01s. Both + terminals are wired to one of the dry contacts and both"
A.  I use the "Optex" photocell beam.  The two output wire coming from the photocell beam are described as "COM." and "N.C./N.O.".  Presently I connect the "COM" side of the photocell beam wire to the "+" side of the PSC01, and the other to the "-" side of the PSC01.  I am consistent for both PSC01.  FYI.  I think, I tested and switched the "+" and "-" side wire, the PSC01 still works and generate the X10, but I'll double check that next time I will write to you.

Again, appreciate your taking the time, to reply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version