Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Google Home controling X10 using a Broadlink RM  (Read 3122 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Google Home controling X10 using a Broadlink RM
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »

These little universal IR/RF learning devices have become very popular and many use them with Alexa.
But I've discovered you can also use them with Google Home  :)%
You still need an Android device to run the RM-Bridge on but these are easy to get and fairly inexpensive even an old Android Phone will work for it.
There are most likely several ways to do this and you use to be able to use the HA-Bridge for it until recently.
However I discovered a cloud based way to do this which doesn't require another server, bridge or physical Hub to be running.
I posted a step by step tutorial on my forum as the readme I found on Github was a little foggy.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=1217.msg7486#msg7486
 >!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:34:36 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Google Home controling X10 using a Broadlink RM
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »

Thought I'd revisit this topic today. I have Alexa controlling my X10 system without IFTTT or HA Bridge.

I'm using a Broaklink RM pro version 4. Recording RF Codes for each device, setting my CM15A to tranceive all House Codes. Setting up the devices in the broadlink app and creating scenes around them which are seen by Alexa and then setting up Alexa Routines to correspond.

It works decently fast (as fast as my BT and WiFi bulbs) and my broadlink had no problem at 310mhz.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 03:58:12 PM »

I moved back to using the RM Pro as well for all my x10 devices and Google/Alexa control. There are several skills for the Broadlink devices and I believe I have them all enabled maybe that's why it has been so stable for me.
I run a Broadlink RM Pro at both my off grid place and city place.
Cool thing about these is the IR capabilities  for my entertainment devices. As well I can control other none X10 RF devices.
 I picked a reversing 12 volt 433 Mhz RF switch with 2 remotes off Amazon special for controling a solar tracker on a large array which works awesome.  https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NJNBC2J?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_KT3QXDH39K7C1VMYEPBX I setup a couple of routines so the tracker turns for a short time every hour from day light till sun set then another to return the array back in the evening.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 04:05:38 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 08:45:10 PM »

...things I've never thought about. I can clearly see that I no longer need the WM100 in the mix. Such wasted potential.

I now have a "Good Night" Alexa routine that locks doors, shuts off the lights and TV and maybe much more when I think about it.

I've been migrating away from X10 slowly. Some lighting is BT, some wifi. With the Broadlink, everything is back under one roof, and my Amazon AND Google devices play together
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 10:09:52 PM »

Thought I'd revisit this topic today. I have Alexa controlling my X10 system without IFTTT or HA Bridge.

I'm using a Broaklink RM pro version 4. Recording RF Codes for each device, setting my CM15A to tranceive all House Codes. Setting up the devices in the broadlink app and creating scenes around them which are seen by Alexa and then setting up Alexa Routines to correspond.

It works decently fast (as fast as my BT and WiFi bulbs) and my broadlink had no problem at 310mhz.

Where did you buy yours? The one on Amazon specifically says it does not support 315MHz but I know the ones on AliExpress support both 315 & 433.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 10:23:50 PM »

Bought on Amazon and yes, said it wouldn't. It has an option to find the frequency and one of my KR19's drifted to 309mhz. Broadlink worked just fine.

RM4 pro without the sensor cable.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 10:30:48 PM »

And my work van door locks operate on 427mhz.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

brobin

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 02:02:08 AM »

Thanks for that info guys!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 07:57:04 AM »

Had to see the difference between the Rm4 pro and mine (original RM pro) the only difference I see is the shape. The senior cable available with the Rm4 would not justify the upgrade to the newer version.

I picked up a cheep Grovee  wifi thermometer from Amazon and it works with Alexa for getting temperature and humidity from any location I placed it. Originaly used it in my fruit cellar (off grid place) being battery  operated I didn't  have to worry about power. I've not tried to intergrate this with the broadlink or x10 as yet have my modified CM15A for that.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 06:12:15 PM »

I just received this one today from Amazon that specifically said it'll do 315.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096TXWMPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Set it up and it does the job for X10. I'm not replacing my Smartenit Harmony but just wanted to see how the RM4 Pro works for some other things and wanted the X10 ability as a backup.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 06:48:10 AM »

Originaly I also picked up my Broadlink as a backup for my X10.
I had issues with grandkids and dog bumping the outlet behind the sofa and unplugging it. I'd never notice it till I needed the back up :'(  Once that was resolved  I started to use it more and more for X10  as well as other stuff.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.