Cortana
- 4 (7.1%)
Siri
- 9 (16.1%)
Other (please specify)
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Please create an voice assitant skill  (Read 11186 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Please create an voice assitant skill
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 02:49:59 AM »

... this is not the thread to discuss the protocol.  ;)

And... realistically... I am sure (or at least hope) X10's business decisions aren't based on Internet forum posts. Hopefully X10 knows that what Amazon, google, and Siri has done for HA is bigger than anything ever before. Literally MILLIONS of people bought an Echo or Google home... and went about figuring out how to exploit those little devices. Or.... like myself... saw the new "home" icon on my iPhone after an update. Then proceeded to explore and exploit the new technology there.

I am a "new guy".... when it comes to using X10. I only first started using X10... around 2002 (16 years ago). But I've recently tried to re-imagine my setup... and only then did I realize how rock hard my automation paradigms are. The compulsion to re-build, or re-create... instead or re-imagine new ways and means to automate is compelling to say the least. But I refuse to pin myself down to being an old geezer "button pusher". HA has evolved way past that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:57:26 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 03:10:53 AM »

"Skills" are free... they can't be sold. If someone else develops a skill it will be to control "their software product" they want to sell for DL to the WM100.
Skills may be currently free but that is changing. The cost of developing them is also not free.
Amazon charges to host these and that is based on the number of users of said skill.
I don't expect Authinx to charge for this, it wouldn't be in their best interest.

Over 90% of skills are developed not by the manufacture of a smart device nor do they control a device.
Some skills that are developed for a hardware come out months if not years prior to the manufacture releasing one.
I can think of at least three instances of this.
Unfortunately many skills created by individuals don't get updated. :(
One created by the Authinx's developer I would hope does.
 >!
And... realistically... I am sure (or at least hope) X10's business decisions aren't based on Internet forum posts.
This is not the reason for keeping discussions on topic!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 04:40:51 AM »

Literally MILLIONS of people bought an Echo or Google home... and went about figuring out how to exploit those little devices
So true.
I would have thought home automation would be a top reason for getting one of these.
However from posts on Alexa and google home forums that is not the case. Most questions are about music :o
Very few are (it appears) into Home Automation, maybe a X10 skill will change that ::) :'
I'm sure it will get thousands that have put their modules away in storage to think about using them again.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »

.... I would have thought home automation would be a top reason for getting one of these.

It is! AI (Alexa and Google are both AI devices) is the apex of Home Automation.

However from posts on Alexa and google home forums that is not the case. Most questions are about music :o
Very few are (it appears) into Home Automation,.....

Yeah. We have a lot of old button pusher HA guys here on the forum. And... you'll have to trust me on this... but deconstructing those old paradigms is about as tough a job as you'll likely ever encounter. What used to be.... is no longer what is. From time-to-time no matter what we endeavor to accomplish we need to honestly reevaluate our efforts and direction. ALOT has changed since X10 was introduced in 1976. What hasn't changed is the way many of us look at home automation.

Lighting.... when I was a child... was the number one use for electric energy. For many reasons lighting is now a fractional part of energy use today. And this has nothing to do with LED's. Lighting was only 12% of electric use even before CFL's.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:31:25 AM by HA Dave »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 04:59:03 AM »

Any updates from Authinx on an Alexa Skill release? That's really all I need the WM100 for so I'm waiting for it before I order.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 05:44:15 AM »

I wouldn't expect a skill till all the bugs are worked out of the app and module.
I'm told it is on the developers list of to dos.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:55 AM »

Any updates from Authinx on an Alexa Skill release? That's really all I need the WM100 for so I'm waiting for it before I order.
Boomer, it took four years from announce for the "Willie 100" to ship. I would not wait for the Alexa app.  My own pessimistic prediction is; it's 12 months away. Besides, I have full voice control X10 automation through Homeseer. It is fun to say "Alexa, turn on, put house to sleep" and watch the lights go out all over the house, but the WM100 is very useful as it now stands.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 06:28:59 PM »

.......... I would not wait for the Alexa app.  My own pessimistic prediction is; it's 12 months away. Besides, I have full voice control X10 automation through Homeseer. It is fun to say "Alexa, turn on, put house to sleep" and watch the lights go out all over the house, but the WM100 is very useful as it now stands.

I am also using Alexa (and Amazon routines) along with Homeseer (via the Raspberry Pi based Hometroller). Of course.... I was using Voice Control via the BVC software and a HA PC.... a decade ago. So where voice control isn't new, it has never been so good. X10 should be on developing an Amazon skill.... like white on rice.

Whether it's hands-free light control while working in the kitchen, Alexa giving me a 10 minute spaghetti timer, or shutting down the home when I announce to Alexa that it's bedtime. Or... even dancing with the little tike grandkids to Alexa playing "I'm a gummy bear" (they love that), or Alexa calculating the number of days... till any event I ask for... Amazon's (and I am sure Googles) AI automation..... is too awesome NOT to utilize (if it is at all possible).

I know.... the fear of the unknown is as much a part of the human condition.... as is little human offspring. But acting like frightened old women (my apologies to old women) and avoiding modern technology won't fly in the Home Automation/smart home marketplace. Sure... there are lots of old Luddite's in the world. And some also use HA products. But those people are so few.... they could all have lunch together at the last Howard Johnson restaurant, at Lake George, NY (a beautiful area BTW). They may be a great group of wonderful people... but I really doubt they constitute a profitable market. And if X10 doesn't profit.... we lose X10.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:32:23 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »

There are several FREE ways to get Alexa control over x10. Waiting for a skill to be available for this product before purchase is  unrealistic.
I have Alex, Google and Cortana control over my X10 and didn't have to wait for a skill.
No new devices need to be purchased for Voice control of X10.
Use what you have till a skill comes but don't  wait for one before purchasing a WM100, this unit is a power house as is.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 07:34:58 PM »

There are several FREE ways to get Alexa control over x10. Waiting for a skill to be available for this product before purchase is  unrealistic............ don't  wait for one before purchasing a WM100, this unit is a power house as is.

The WM100 is a great product as-is. Certainly any X10 user should enjoy the expanded capability of a (use from anywhere) phone-based X10 remote. And MOST IMPORTANTLY... anyone can setup the WM100 in just minutes.

But I am just guessing that the vast majority of HA users are stumped and frustrated when trying to use many of the available alternate means and methods for HA. Nothing against users or creators of products (like yourself). But for most users... this stuff really needs to be almost out-of-the-box ready. THAT is where Amazon and the Amazon skills.... really shine. It's advanced tech... that works for everyone.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 07:39:27 PM »

Sure... there are lots of old Luddite's in the world. And some also use HA products. But those people are so few.... they could all have lunch together at the last Howard Johnson restaurant

Per the definition:

A slang term used to attack and ostracize those who are not afraid to keep things that still work and do not need to be upgraded. A luddite is someone who encourages the use of technology and technological equipment that is still perfectly good and perfectly working, although a new model/generation/color has come out.

There are more than you may think.  Many X10 users would fall into that group.  We don't waste money buying the latest and greatest.  Personally, I replace things that break and are no longer repairable or are no longer suitable for the application.  I have dedicated the last decade to helping other X10 users keep their systems running as they should.  So watch when you throw around that term derogatorily.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »

But I am just guessing that the vast majority of HA users are stumped and frustrated when trying to use many of the available alternate means and methods for HA. Nothing against users or creators of products (like yourself). But for most users... this stuff really needs to be almost out-of-the-box ready. THAT is where Amazon and the Amazon skills.... really shine. It's advanced tech... that works for everyone.
Not everyone! Even with skills users still have issues setting up their HA stuff. ::) :'
Just go through feed back for different skills not all are praises of easy setup.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 12:35:43 AM »

A slang term used to attack and ostracize those who ..............

Not at all Jeff.

Starting backwards.... your efforts and many accomplishments have greatly improved HA in general for many. Neither YOU or anyone else on this forum is being either attacked or ostracized by me... or anyone else on this forum that I am aware of.

Luddite... is NOT a slang term. It's a historical reference to Ned Ludd... and a reminder of the violent, bloody resistance that is part our history. The resistance to change... is so strong in the human race... it is often met with such awful and senseless confrontation. Thankfully because of the failure of the Luddite resistance, even todays impoverished individuals aren't forced to live naked in the streets. Weaving technology advancements.... brought clothing to the masses.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:43:40 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 12:42:04 AM »

Not everyone! Even with skills users still have issues setting up their HA stuff. ::) :' 

You're absolutely correct. Which I believe.... reinforces what I am pointing out.

IMHO.... the sooner X10 brings a skill online that can (or NOT) be used with the new WM100 modules... the better for everyone. X10 included. Advancing X10 ability's... harms NO ONE. No one will be forced to progress into what has become the standard for automation.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:57 AM »

Luddite... is NOT a slang term. It's a historical reference to Ned Ludd

Yes, I am familiar with the history.  But the term is usually used today for someone who avoids new technology.  I'm sure you were not referring to textile workers in your earlier post.  And that term does fit me as I only recently upgraded my emergency flip-phone to an Android smartphone because it became waterlogged when I hiked the Kalalau Trail on Kauai.  My daily usage car (280ZX) doesn't even have power steering.  And my "hiking" car is a '95 Explorer.  I would not want a car with all the electronics in the new ones.

But we also have an Echo and two Dots.  (I'm always impressed when Alexa answers some obscure question.)  And I'm finally accepting WiFi rather than pulling in all that Cat5 for hard-wired Ethernet.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.