Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The New WIFI Module is now available!
                   *****Here's the link******

Poll

Would you like to see the protocol released?

Yes!
- 32 (97%)
No!
- 0 (0%)
I don't care!
- 1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Release the WM100 protocol  (Read 1726 times)

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 173
Re: Release the WM100 protocol
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 03:36:39 PM »

Releasing the protocol would open up many possibilities and many more apps.

True. But you snooze you lose. The original X10 kept clinging to their tiny little cameras... and depended on a voyeur trade to stay afloat. Meanwhile every HA guy was thinking infinite code addresses using the IP protocol. Long before it was done. We also thought and experimented with voice control LONG before it was made easy.

I think... there is a lot to be said for NOT being completely WiFi and/or cloud dependent. X10 has a niche... and that's good. But I also think it's a good idea to pander to the MILLIONS of new HA guys with a Echo or Google Home on the desktop or by their easy chair.

IMHO.... X10 needs a skill... yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:39:16 PM by HA Dave »
If X10 doesn't jump on the AI band wagon soon...
...there ain't going to be no X10 dance! 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 252
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 01:53:18 AM »

Actually this is not the thread to be discussing the merits of another wish.
Those argument should be placed in that poll thread to keep it in the lime light. ;)

True WM100 firmware upgrades would mean a protocol update in most cases, but it should not stop existing things created with it from working. True things made with Cm15 SDK first version will not work with todays AHP but that was due to a simple coding error where case sensitivity was an issue. (the protocol never changed for it that would have required a hardware upgrade as the firmware was not upgradable)
The CM11 is so popular still because the protocol was released for it.
The CM15 managed to stay afloat because of the SDK(not the Protocol)
The CM15 protocol would have meant any OS could have an app for it.

I argued to X10 WTI the need for Phone control when the SDK was first release and was told there was no demand. ::) rofl
With the SDK I created a program that allowed Phone control from anywhere in the world using a touch tone phone.
This was long before smartphones were on the scene. Most homes only had dial up internet then and wi-fi capable routers were only in their infancy . That application still works today and no internet connection is required. ::) :'

The protocol will keep the WM100 alive should something happen to the developer of the app.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 173
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 03:28:38 AM »

The protocol will keep the WM100 alive should something happen to the developer of the app.

I am all in for the protocol release. But I don't expect to see it. I think its best to plow ahead with control over what we actually have control over. I am old man, former military. And once a boy scout, I like being prepared. I can even about half-way relate to preppers.

But I would NOT plan on modules and existing programing to be functional for years into the future.... as they were in decades past. Things are changing FAST. Preppers worry and stockpile for future use. But this is a dynamic technology now. Todays most valued devices and functions will be useless and worthless in a short time. We can't automate the future! We can only automate today.

We don't want to concern ourselves with re-fighting yesterdays battles... with tomorrows technology. No one can actually do that. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:33:09 AM by HA Dave »
If X10 doesn't jump on the AI band wagon soon...
...there ain't going to be no X10 dance! 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 03:49:57 AM »

I also like to be prepared (old boy scout too). rofl  But I'm not a Prepper ( at least I don't see my self as that)
I don't expect to see the protocol any time soon :( but I'm hopeful!
True many electronics don't last long now a days nor does much software if not kept upto date.
Many of my old X10 devices just refuse to die  :)%
I just hope the Willy 100 out lasts them. ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 06:56:51 AM »

I started to mess around with wireshark listening in on traffic to & from the WM100 while it was in beta testing.
I believe the WM100 to be using MQTT which a few others have reported as well.
My experiance with MQTT is next to nill.
However using Google I have discovered some disturbing info. Although MQTT is capable of using authorization less then half of the brokers use it. :o
It may be possible to hack the WM100 with MQTT most MQTT devices use the mac address of the device as authorization (if any).
The apps require a scanning of the QR code so this info as well could be the authorization if the developer is using authorization.
There is lots of info on hacking IOT devices with MQTT on the web so I suspect an end user will have hacked this and setup their own broker before long. If they publish their progress we may have no need for an official WM100 protocol. >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.