Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like to see the protocol released?

Yes!
- 33 (97.1%)
No!
- 0 (0%)
I don't care!
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Release the WM100 protocol  (Read 15932 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Release the WM100 protocol
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »

From a recent email communication it appears this is still a planed thing.
I do understand the desire though and hopefully we can provide some code later on down the road to help in that endeavor,.......
Interestingly I never asked about the protocol, I had mentioned I was able to setup the WM100 with a PC, which they took to mean I was asking for that option. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »

hopefully we can provide some code later on down the road
This is at least much better than silence!

whitedavidp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »

I actualy started some work at hacking the Wm100  I found the app uses the standard Internet of things connection  protocol you need the info contained in the QR code as it contains the conection string the wm100 expects. Next you could utilize chromes postman to send the post put get commands.
Wireshark mau also be useful  but unless the WM sent back an error stating what it was expecting your left guessing.

Hello. I just saw the WM100 listed for sale. And I am quite interested. But I would be very much less enthusiastic if this requires an internet connection to work as do many of the wifi thermostats, etc. I am looking for local network control only and would like to be able to control it from a command line in the way I do my Belkin and TP-Link pug in modules. Have you any idea if this is possible? Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »

Currently the only way to setup the WM100 is via the app.
It doesn't require an internet connection but does require a WiFi router to connect to your Phone and the app.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

whitedavidp

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:39:31 AM »

I sent this same message to X10 support. Think I should post their response so others can be aware:

Hi David,

I am sorry.  Unfortunately, at this time, it does require an internet connection.  We understand there are many that feel the same as you do and are in talks about what we can do to avoid an internet connection.  Unfortunately, there is no other information regarding that and would not expect something like that to be made available anytime soon.

Thanks,

X10 Support

whitedavidp

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »

Currently the only way to setup the WM100 is via the app.
It doesn't require an internet connection but does require a WiFi router to connect to your Phone and the app.

Hmm. This conflicts with what I was just told (and posted here) from X10 support. They said:

Hi David,

I am sorry.  Unfortunately, at this time, it does require an internet connection.  We understand there are many that feel the same as you do and are in talks about what we can do to avoid an internet connection.  Unfortunately, there is no other information regarding that and would not expect something like that to be made available anytime soon.

Thanks,

X10 Support

So if you are correct that an internet connect is NOT required, that would be very good indeed. Please advise. Thanks

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »

I just tried connecting to the WM100 with my modem disconnected from my router.  It didn't work.. I was on the same LAN as the Wm100.

Reconnected the router to the modem, restarted the app and it worked.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »

I was sure I had tested this prior.  B:(
I went to my cable modem and disconnected the cable  and it still worked. I then realized I disconnected the cable phone modem B:(
Argh..... that's most likely what I did the first time I tested B:( :-[
Man, I've been doing some senior things of late!  :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »

Two things are needed along with releasing the protocol. Allow local control and add a pass-through function similar to the CM15A's transceive-housecodes function. Then one could write applications to run on things like the RPi3 that need not know about defined devices.

However, given the way they are using QR codes, I suspect Hades will be hosting the Winter Olympics before we see changes like these.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:57:13 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »

Without individual polls for each they most likely will get overlooked as possible adds. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »

I believe most things can be implemented with the protocol and not require users to wait on a Developer half way around the world to add code.
Even a Voice skill could be developed by anyone with the protocol and a little programing knowledge.
I know of at least 3 ways I could implement voice control without creating a skill if I had the protocol.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »

I believe most things can be implemented with the protocol and not require users to wait on a Developer half way around the world to add code.

Yeah.... I don't know about attitudes in all nations... but most people in the US are pretty accepting of foreign code writers.  :'   

Even a Voice skill could be developed by anyone with the protocol and a little programing knowledge. I know of at least 3 ways I could implement voice control without creating a skill if I had the protocol.

I've had voice control for years..... and nothing comes close to the control given via Alexa.... it could even work through the car speakers. I don't think there is anything X10 could do to mess-up this great new product..... other than delay it's required 'skills".
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 02:22:27 PM »

Yeah.... I don't know about attitudes in all nations... but most people in the US are pretty accepting of foreign code writers.  :'   
I'm not knocking foreign code writers the developer has done an excellent job thus far.
What I'm saying is anyone can create a skill Amazon made that possible.
Since the developer is working on the app creating a skill takes them away from that any bugs in the app will get worked on firsts before moving to something else. Being the other side of the world creates delays in bugs being reported and fixed even though they may be small they are there 

I've had voice control for years..... and nothing comes close to the control given via Alexa.... it could even work through the car speakers. I don't think there is anything X10 could do to mess-up this great new product..... other than delay it's required 'skills".
I believe releasing the protocol would speed up not delay a skill being created.
True one may be created by someone else and it not be an official X10 skill but then users would have a choice once an official one was developed.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »

Releasing the protocol would open up many possibilities and many more apps.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »

......anyone can create a skill Amazon made that possible.

True... but will it be compatible with any (and every) software/app update that would normally materialize out of X10? Let alone any and everyone else.

Since the developer is working on the app creating a skill takes them away from that any bugs in the app will get worked on firsts before moving to something else.

I had eight updates on 8 different apps on my phone last night. Updates are as normal as rain around here. If the skill has to wait for the updates and upgrades to stop..... the WM100 will never live up to it's potential.

Being the other side of the world creates delays in bugs being reported and fixed even though they may be small they are there 

Well... then wouldn't being across the country in Texas do the same? And what about across national boundaries? Too bad we can't figure out a way to standardize the speed of electrons. If we could..... I'd bet these posts "here" would show up in China about as fast as they do.... just down the street.

The facts are simple (IMHO). Amazon and Google are selling their devices by the MILLIONS. If any HA product wants to be viable they need to jump on that bandwagon.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:37:30 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.