🖥️ActiveHome Pro > Help & Troubleshooting

Using a CM15A as a multi house code transceiver

(1/3) > >>

tflemer:
I am currently using 4 TM751 transceivers to receive RF from IR sensors and SS13A wall switches.  Some of the changes I would like to make will add additional house codes in RF.  I would like to use a CM15A just as a transceiver, no timers/macros/attached PC.

I cleared a CM15A.  Created an empty runtime file.  Selected transceiver house codes in the configuration of AHP.  Did an update and downloaded the empty file.  Moved the CM15A to a desired outlet.  Testing with a couple of SS13As, the RF signal did not transfer to PLC.

OK – I have three CM15A.  I am not sure which one I used for the trial.  The first one, I purchased in 2006 to upgrade to AHP.  The second one I purchased in 2009 because the first one stopped working.  No macros, no timers controlling lights….  The second on failed in 2011.  Looking at the X10 forum and just searching Google to find an answer to why the CM15As failed, A tip (don’t remember where) that said the batteries and battery cover causes heat buildup and resulting CM15A failure.  So, when I purchased the third module, I did not install batteries and left the battery cover off.  X10 has worked mostly OK.  No catastrophic failure like in the past.  Have not seen any more Forum comments regarding this problem recently.

I have been running trials of various HA software packages.  All three modules will generate and receive PLC commands.  The RF side I am still sorting out.

As a test, I took two SS13As: one set to B1-3; the second set to D5-7.  I have a TM751 transceiver set to B.  Switch B1 activation shows in the log and the module toggles.  D5 shows in the log, but does not toggle the respective module.  When I add another TM751 set to D, switch activation toggles the module.  It appears that the CM15A(s) are decoding the RF signal but not resending out as a PLC.

I read number of threads on Tuicemen’s X10 Issues? Please Read This First! On X10 Forum from 2006 that described the functionality of monitored and transceiver.  If I understand correctly, the CM15A should act the same as a TM751.  Mine are not.  When I have a corresponding module in AHP then the module will toggle.  So, is this a defect (burn out) in the CM15A(s) or is this the proper function? 

Brian H:
I have a CM15A set to transceive all sixteen House Codes. In a stand alone setup. No programs or batteries in. Not connected to a computer. So it can be done.

Have you tried in the Tools Menu.
Hardware Configuration.
Tranceived House Codes. Specific and check the House Codes you want to use?
Update Interface.

The CM15A has RF reception problems.
If you do some searching here. You will see mods to extend the plastic tube antenna. As about half the receiving antenna is wrapped around the inside of the case. Some have fastened a metal rod to the tube to have better reception.

The SS13A also has transmission distance problems. Dave has some information on extending both the CM15A and SS13A range on his web pages.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/X10_feng_shui.html

If the CM15A is not being tested in the same location as a working TM751. You may want to try it there.

Jeff has some great troubleshooting tutorials you may get some information from.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

tflemer:
Thanks for the great check list to follow.  I had some red herrings that confused my objective.  Confirming that RF signals would be sent out as PLC.  On two of the three CM15A I have, the battery status screen LED stays red regardless if (good) batteries are in place or not.  Those two are out.  On the third module, batteries in LED goes green.  This is the one I narrowed my testing on.

One switch, D5; One SS13A, D5-7; One Cm15A; One TM751 set to D; AHP transceiver set to D.  Tested while connected to a PC and not.  In both cases a D5 RF signal does not go to the switch.  Plug in the TM751 and the D5 switch toggles.

With my “empty” runtime file Macros and Timers are at 0 and 0.  If I load my current runtime file with Macros and Timers, memory used is 27% and 3%. So, this would say that AHP is communicating with the CM15A.  It looks like the CM15A is no longer receiving RF.  The Activity Monitor does not show any D5 activity.  If I plug in the TM751, then Activity Monitor shows D5.

As follow up – I added a piece of coat hanger to the CM15A antenna with tie-wraps some time ago.  It helped with reception.
One of my red herrings was, I tested with a SS13A on B1 next to the CM15A in the basement.  I forgot, I had TM751 set to B in the living room.   All of the SS13As in use are with in 20 feet of the antenna and only need to pass through one floor.  Jeff’s tutorials on line issues are great.

At this point the issue comes down to cost.  I have enough TM751s to cover my needs now, but I want to add four more house codes.  Four TM751 = $100 and I will cover more outlets.  Another new CM15A is $80 with a life expectancy of 3-6 years.  Also, looking at the WGL X10 receivers.  Will probably look at compressing house codes before I do anything.

Thanks again for the help.

Brian H:
The WGL V572B is a nice module.
One thing to keep in mind. It requires an X10 TW523, X10Pro PSC05 or Smarthome 1132B to interface to the power lines.
All are discontinued.
The JV Digital Engineering XTB-523 is a good replacement and has more features than the other ones. Including a stronger power line X10 signal.

Tuicemen:
testing things with both the TM751 and CM15 connected to your power line will result in conflicting test results.
the TM751 is not a polite transceiver it will step on signals sent out of the CM15 however if the TM751 sends the signal out first the cm15 will wait for the power line to be clear before sending out the signal.

If you setup the tm751 in AHP then the cm15 will not act as a transceiver on that house code.

Your tests should be none with the cm15 Interface purged of macros and timers and all devices should be removed.
Then set the house codes to transceive using Specific.
All TM751 modules need to be removed from outlets.
Move your CM15 to a central location and as high as possibly to maximize its RF range
 >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version