💬General Category > General Discussion

Amazon Alexa Ads coming in 2018.

(1/2) > >>

Brian H:
I see on a CNBC web page.
Amazon is planing to add more sponsored ads to Alexa.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/amazon-alexa-is-opening-up-to-more-sponsored-product-ads.html

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Brian H on January 01, 2018, 04:58:16 PM ---Amazon is planing to add more sponsored ads to Alexa.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/amazon-alexa-is-opening-up-to-more-sponsored-product-ads.html

--- End quote ---

They would be foolish to past up an opportunity to profit.... and at the same time provide a service to their customers. I think we'll be more likely to "see" ad's with the Amazon devices that have screens like the Echo "show" or even the "spot". I do use my (non-screen) Echo's for simple searches.... Like when watching TV... I may ask Alexa an Actor/actresses age, or the movies release date. Generally my Alexa search requests are merely day/date (I am retired) and weather forecasts. Although I have asked about movie theater show times.

I am an old guy.... and habit has me going to my laptop for real Internet searches.... although more and more I reach for my phone to access quick info.

But the cloud connectivity and AI of this technology is awe inspiring. I find if I search for a product on my laptop... I will almost immediately see advertisements for such products on my phone. And with our phones now linked with the cars.... I can see searching for a product on my laptop at night ......and the next day get a nice notice through the cars speakers that the store on my right has "said" product on sale.

dave w:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 01, 2018, 09:08:59 PM ---Generally my Alexa search requests are merely day/date (I am retired).
I am an old guy....

--- End quote ---
Man, do I identify with those statements.

signed
Old Geezer

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dave w on January 02, 2018, 03:09:51 AM ---Man, do I identify with those statements.
signed
Old Geezer
--- End quote ---

Yeah.... I think the way we use automation and it's related technologies are related to various things.... with one of them being (of course) AGE. I grew up with schedules that I fitted my life around.... school, band practice, part-time job,  Bonanza on Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m.. It would make great sense.... that Home Automation might in my mind mean lights on timers or controlled by remote. Saving steps also saves time... and would help keep me on schedule and productive.

Whereas... I think younger users of automation seem to think more in terms of convenience and added entertainment opportunities... when considering automations use.

I really work to dismantle my old paradigms and look for new ways to view my expectations.

In regards to the original post in this thread. I could easily disable most of the ad's that appear everywhere on-line. But I really like being able to perform a couple searches..... then let the corporations with their high-tech, AI, algorithms, mindlessly track me down and woo me with their rock bottom, low-dollar offers. That's just good automation. 

dave w:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on January 02, 2018, 05:05:35 AM ---Whereas... I think younger users of automation seem to think more in terms of convenience and added entertainment opportunities... when considering automations use.

But I really like being able to perform a couple searches..... then let the corporations with their high-tech, AI, algorithms, mindlessly track me down and woo me with their rock bottom, low-dollar offers. That's just good automation.

--- End quote ---
1. Yes, you nailed it. The young'uns are far more driven by portable entertainment than HA.
2 Dave that is surprising coming from you. I thought you were IT at a super secret government installation in Ohio. You have probably seen the secrets in Hanger 18, so I would have thought you would be pretty paranoid about anyone tracking you <huge grin, all tongue in cheek>  :'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version