💬General Category > General Discussion

Amazon Alexa Ads coming in 2018.

<< < (2/2)

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dave w on January 03, 2018, 12:03:22 AM ---..... that is surprising coming from you. I thought you were IT at a super secret government installation in Ohio. You have probably seen the secrets in Hanger 18, so I would have thought you would be pretty paranoid about anyone tracking you <huge grin, all tongue in cheek>  :'
--- End quote ---

I haven't been Secretive  :' for decades. And even retired now for a few years. But, I do know that ANYONE... that wants to track and hack someone else... can.

What the government collects is boiled down to data and algorithms. Even phone call metadata is evaluated for voice stress patterns (and other things) and turned into mega data. They don't want to know what your doing... they want to categorize you in a way where they can predict how you'll react.... and know what you'll do in the future (based on events as they play out).

Obama and the NSA... knew for a fact based on billions of dollars of research and very high-tech government [systematically] executed science... that Hillary was going to win the election. So... maybe they haven't perfected their domestic spying.... yet. Or maybe... the human algorithm isn't possible. 

Anyone can "peek into our windows" sort of to speak. I don't worry about that. I protect what should and needs to be protected. The other stuff.... I either have to accept.... or fend off on a daily basis. 

As far as hanger 18... it doesn't exist. Trust me... I've been there and I will swear to it.

P.S. I spend some time this evening searching for rear panniers for my gravel grinder... to do a little adventure bicycling... when the weather warms a bit. I may have already seen pictures and prices of every brand/model sold in America. But the little ads that show up in the margins of facebook may show me some other options in the next couple of days I couldn't find on my own.

Tuicemen:
Me, Good morning Alexa.
Alexa, "Good morning, Bobs Bacon is on sale today, start your morning right! Here's your flash briefing, but first here's an add from one of our sponsors ......."
 rofl
ME, Alexa turn on kitchen light.
Alexa, "OK, Maybe you should get some new Energizer batteries for that flashlight! Get a 12 pack now with an Amazon prime account for.... " turns on light
 B:( rofl

dhouston:
Today's NYT has an article on the newly publicized flaws in Intel, AMD and Arm CPUs. The authors note in passing that ads can contain malware that might exploit these flaws.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/technology/meltdown-spectre-questions.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news 

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on January 03, 2018, 01:58:47 PM ---Today's NYT has an article on the newly publicized flaws in Intel, AMD and Arm CPUs. The authors note in passing that ads can contain malware that might exploit these flaws.
--- End quote ---

News to many.... but not to anyone who been paying attention. I posted here many, MANY times. ANYONE (and EVERYONE) can be hacked (and likely already has been). Modern hacking..... is much like the "butchers thumb" on the scale.... was in decades past. Rip-offs have always been everywhere. Don't worry so much about someone skimming a handful of pennies. Keep your eye on the heroin addict with the knife in the parking lot.     

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 03, 2018, 01:15:00 PM ---Me, Good morning Alexa.
Alexa, "Good morning, Bobs Bacon is on sale today, start your morning right! Here's your flash briefing, but first here's an add from one of our sponsors .......
--- End quote ---

It may come to that. Few even giant businesses last much more than a lifetime... or two. Eventually.... Ford, GM (Government Motors), GE, Walmart, and even Amazon will lose favor with the customers and go under or be consolidated. It even happen once to a great maker of Home Automation products.... 

But life goes on.... it all works out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version