Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Ads coming in 2018.  (Read 2213 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Amazon Alexa Ads coming in 2018.
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »

I see on a CNBC web page.
Amazon is planing to add more sponsored ads to Alexa.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/amazon-alexa-is-opening-up-to-more-sponsored-product-ads.html

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Amazon Alexa Ads coming in 2018.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »

Amazon is planing to add more sponsored ads to Alexa.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/amazon-alexa-is-opening-up-to-more-sponsored-product-ads.html

They would be foolish to past up an opportunity to profit.... and at the same time provide a service to their customers. I think we'll be more likely to "see" ad's with the Amazon devices that have screens like the Echo "show" or even the "spot". I do use my (non-screen) Echo's for simple searches.... Like when watching TV... I may ask Alexa an Actor/actresses age, or the movies release date. Generally my Alexa search requests are merely day/date (I am retired) and weather forecasts. Although I have asked about movie theater show times.

I am an old guy.... and habit has me going to my laptop for real Internet searches.... although more and more I reach for my phone to access quick info.

But the cloud connectivity and AI of this technology is awe inspiring. I find if I search for a product on my laptop... I will almost immediately see advertisements for such products on my phone. And with our phones now linked with the cars.... I can see searching for a product on my laptop at night ......and the next day get a nice notice through the cars speakers that the store on my right has "said" product on sale.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:16:28 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:09:51 AM »

Generally my Alexa search requests are merely day/date (I am retired).
I am an old guy....
Man, do I identify with those statements.

signed
Old Geezer
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:05:35 AM »

Man, do I identify with those statements.
signed
Old Geezer

Yeah.... I think the way we use automation and it's related technologies are related to various things.... with one of them being (of course) AGE. I grew up with schedules that I fitted my life around.... school, band practice, part-time job,  Bonanza on Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m.. It would make great sense.... that Home Automation might in my mind mean lights on timers or controlled by remote. Saving steps also saves time... and would help keep me on schedule and productive.

Whereas... I think younger users of automation seem to think more in terms of convenience and added entertainment opportunities... when considering automations use.

I really work to dismantle my old paradigms and look for new ways to view my expectations.

In regards to the original post in this thread. I could easily disable most of the ad's that appear everywhere on-line. But I really like being able to perform a couple searches..... then let the corporations with their high-tech, AI, algorithms, mindlessly track me down and woo me with their rock bottom, low-dollar offers. That's just good automation. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:08:50 AM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:22 AM »

Whereas... I think younger users of automation seem to think more in terms of convenience and added entertainment opportunities... when considering automations use.

But I really like being able to perform a couple searches..... then let the corporations with their high-tech, AI, algorithms, mindlessly track me down and woo me with their rock bottom, low-dollar offers. That's just good automation.
1. Yes, you nailed it. The young'uns are far more driven by portable entertainment than HA.
2 Dave that is surprising coming from you. I thought you were IT at a super secret government installation in Ohio. You have probably seen the secrets in Hanger 18, so I would have thought you would be pretty paranoid about anyone tracking you <huge grin, all tongue in cheek>  :'

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »

..... that is surprising coming from you. I thought you were IT at a super secret government installation in Ohio. You have probably seen the secrets in Hanger 18, so I would have thought you would be pretty paranoid about anyone tracking you <huge grin, all tongue in cheek>  :'

I haven't been Secretive  :' for decades. And even retired now for a few years. But, I do know that ANYONE... that wants to track and hack someone else... can.

What the government collects is boiled down to data and algorithms. Even phone call metadata is evaluated for voice stress patterns (and other things) and turned into mega data. They don't want to know what your doing... they want to categorize you in a way where they can predict how you'll react.... and know what you'll do in the future (based on events as they play out).

Obama and the NSA... knew for a fact based on billions of dollars of research and very high-tech government [systematically] executed science... that Hillary was going to win the election. So... maybe they haven't perfected their domestic spying.... yet. Or maybe... the human algorithm isn't possible. 

Anyone can "peek into our windows" sort of to speak. I don't worry about that. I protect what should and needs to be protected. The other stuff.... I either have to accept.... or fend off on a daily basis. 

As far as hanger 18... it doesn't exist. Trust me... I've been there and I will swear to it.

P.S. I spend some time this evening searching for rear panniers for my gravel grinder... to do a little adventure bicycling... when the weather warms a bit. I may have already seen pictures and prices of every brand/model sold in America. But the little ads that show up in the margins of facebook may show me some other options in the next couple of days I couldn't find on my own.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:37:19 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »

Me, Good morning Alexa.
Alexa, "Good morning, Bobs Bacon is on sale today, start your morning right! Here's your flash briefing, but first here's an add from one of our sponsors ......."
 rofl
ME, Alexa turn on kitchen light.
Alexa, "OK, Maybe you should get some new Energizer batteries for that flashlight! Get a 12 pack now with an Amazon prime account for.... " turns on light
 B:( rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

Today's NYT has an article on the newly publicized flaws in Intel, AMD and Arm CPUs. The authors note in passing that ads can contain malware that might exploit these flaws.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/technology/meltdown-spectre-questions.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news 
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »

Today's NYT has an article on the newly publicized flaws in Intel, AMD and Arm CPUs. The authors note in passing that ads can contain malware that might exploit these flaws.

News to many.... but not to anyone who been paying attention. I posted here many, MANY times. ANYONE (and EVERYONE) can be hacked (and likely already has been). Modern hacking..... is much like the "butchers thumb" on the scale.... was in decades past. Rip-offs have always been everywhere. Don't worry so much about someone skimming a handful of pennies. Keep your eye on the heroin addict with the knife in the parking lot.     

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »

Me, Good morning Alexa.
Alexa, "Good morning, Bobs Bacon is on sale today, start your morning right! Here's your flash briefing, but first here's an add from one of our sponsors .......

It may come to that. Few even giant businesses last much more than a lifetime... or two. Eventually.... Ford, GM (Government Motors), GE, Walmart, and even Amazon will lose favor with the customers and go under or be consolidated. It even happen once to a great maker of Home Automation products.... 

But life goes on.... it all works out.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.