🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

Another Alexa/X-10 Question

(1/3) > >>

gkamieneski:
Recently got an Amazon Echo Dot and because I have been running X-10 HA and security for many years I immediately started reading the associated threads here and elsewhere.

My question is, has anyone been able to interface Alexa with X-10 without requiring a PC to always be active? I have the CM15a's EEPROM handling my home now and I also still have a CM11a with the serial interface, but I believe I see most solutions using the Phillips bridge with the X-10 Firecracker?

I guess because the X-10 interfaces recognize RF or PLC and not WiFi that there's no way to address the macros stored in the X-10 devices EEPROM?

Tuicemen:
All current X10 interfaces require a PC to turn a Wi-Fi signal into a PLC signal the X10 WIFI (WM100) due out in a few weeks has Wi-Fi to PLC however there is no published protocol for it yet and it has no RF capabilites.

There are several methods for getting wi-fi to X10 many use Pi devices. Homeseer has a HUB I'm old will do X10 I beileve HA Dave has one. the RM Broadlink will send RF from wi-fi but you still need an android sever setup on your phone.
I've created a few PC options that allow Alexa or Google home control of your X10 devices.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 01, 2018, 11:10:50 PM ---...... Homeseer has a HUB I'm told will do X10 I beileve HA Dave has one. the RM Broadlink will send RF from wi-fi but you still need an android sever setup on your phone.
--- End quote ---

Yep. I have both the Homeseer hometroller (which is a raspberry pi device). It works with (USB connected to) an interface (a CM15A) to send X10 PLC's. It might be able to send RF... I am not sure... I've never thought to try that. BTW... I run TWO (2) CM15A's with one connected to the Hometroller... and the other connected to a laptop running 24/7. As some of my macros require a running PC (so does my PC based voice for announcements).

I really like my (new for Christmas) Broadlink RM pro!

Although I haven't had a chance to try this yet..... I can't see why using a IR-543 X10 Command Console (with an proper old X10 remote for programing) wouldn't allow some limited amount of voice control of X10 devices.... without a running PC. But... I have NOT tried that YET... so I can't swear to it.

But I have used an old Logitech-Harmony remote with a IR-543 X10 Command Console (to control lights and trigger macros) in my Home Theater for over a decade now.... and the it works flawlessly.

--- Quote from: gkamieneski on January 01, 2018, 11:00:11 PM ---........ I guess because the X-10 interfaces recognize RF or PLC and not WiFi that there's no way to address the macros stored in the X-10 devices EEPROM?
--- End quote ---

The macros in my original CM15A.... still trigger and work fine. The CM15A I have connect to the Hometroller is set to not transceive and therefore doesn't interfear with the original CM15A.

It isn't all easy-peasy.... but I am deliberately running a mish-mosh of all sorts of different flavors of Home Automation products including a bunch of great X10 stuff with and voice controlled by Alexa.... and I understand Tuicemen is doing pretty much the same and has even included a Google voice device. There are solutions.

gkamieneski:
Thanks, folks.

Guess I am looking for a WiFi device that will take WiFi commands from Alexa and put them on PL for the CM15a to pick up and re-transmit. Not there yet and probably won't make it.

I have seen some of the great work being done with the HA Bridge, etc. and I have plenty of old laptops I could employ, but I hate leaving computers on full time just to gain voice control of my X10 devices.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: gkamieneski on January 02, 2018, 03:44:46 PM ---...... I have plenty of old laptops I could employ, but I hate leaving computers on full time just to gain voice control of my X10 devices.

--- End quote ---

It's worth it! I feel the same way about leaving a computer on 24/7. But the power use/drain really isn't that much as the processor isn't working much. I have mine in a fire safe environment and run it with the batteries removed.... and with a coolpad underneath (USB powered fans). There is a lot you can do with the power of a PC for both automation and safety. If you have spares.... most of what you need invest is a little time. It should be FUN.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version