💬General Category > General Discussion

Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?

<< < (23/23)

bkenobi:
In case you have put the RPi/HG project on the back burner due to difficulties getting it running, I wanted to provide some updates on my experience.  I'm currently in the process of writing an updated guide and hopefully either a script and/or preconfigured SD card image to help new users.  I had some issues getting things running initially with my RPi3, but it appears to be working correctly now.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: bkenobi on February 12, 2018, 04:52:08 AM ---...... I wanted to provide some updates on my experience.  I'm currently in the process of writing an updated guide and hopefully either a script and/or preconfigured SD card image to help new users.  I had some issues getting things running initially with my RPi3, but it appears to be working correctly now.
--- End quote ---

What a great idea! Although I've had plenty of "irons in the fire" I am still plowing forward. I even found time to get through a stomach virus.... and attend the birthday party of the two year old (granddaughter) that gave it to me. 

I bought (and read) a (digital) book on Raspberry Pi 3. Then I bought a 2nd memory card to experiment with and did the basic NOOBS install. I now... at least have a (beginners) working knowledge of Raspbian.

And I now have my Homeseer Hometroller.... which is also a Pi... more fully up and running. I have shut-down the HA laptop and only using one CM15A as/for a plug-in for the HS. I've also taken down my amplified, hardwired, speaker system (hoping to use Bluetooth to my Echo devices). I have even re-assigned new H/U codes and I have made a effort to completely re-imagine my entire setup. This is a MAJOR reconfiguration for me.

Meanwhile... I have also been using and testing X10's new WiFi WM100. Fortunately... the WM100 roll-out has been near flawless. With only a few minor bugs of no real consequence (IMHO).

So... I am still in and ready to try/test/use any download, HG image, or set of directions, you come up with. I'll try PMing you my email address to make it easier to contact me.

This past 4-5 weeks has been one of the pleasant Home Automation Season I've had. Very busy, and productive. A lot of fun. Yet even so... with a little nostalgic sadness. I even miss the idea of no AHP... and the demise of the Kate 16 bit voice which has been such a part of my home here for many years.

toasterking:

--- Quote from: toasterking on January 10, 2018, 04:49:40 PM ---Superaccurate GPS Chips Coming to Smartphones in 2018
Broadcom has a GPS sensor out that supposedly reports its location with an accuracy of 30 cm (11.8 inches).  With virtually everyone carrying smartphones now, I ought to be able to leverage this tech, at least for the house's typical occupants, to solve all of the above problems with very little effort and expense.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: toasterking on January 11, 2018, 11:21:11 AM ---BTW, some cursory investigation reveals that should I have access to an early Android device this year with the new BCM47755 chip, I should be able to use Tasker to do some experimenting without actually writing any code. [...] The script can capture the current GPS location and send it to my web server via HTTPS POST.  [...]

--- End quote ---

It's happening!  The new Xiaomi Mi 8 is out in China, has the BCM47755, and runs Android!  Any day now! *fingers crossed*  :)%

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: toasterking on June 10, 2018, 12:55:56 PM ---….It's happening!  The new Xiaomi Mi 8 is out in China, has the BCM47755, and runs Android!  Any day now! *fingers crossed*  :)%

--- End quote ---

This is a new golden age for Home Automation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version