💬General Category > General Discussion

Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?

<< < (2/23) > >>

Knightrider:

--- Quote from: dave w on January 09, 2018, 03:49:34 PM ---Dave HA
Where did you find that outlet strip?

--- End quote ---
Why do you have that usb cord plugged into a cube and not the power strip itself?

petera:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on January 09, 2018, 04:16:03 PM ---Alex10 started as merely a simple way for x10 users to get Alexa control without having to understand how to do complicated scripts that the HA-Brigde was requesting at the time.
Since developing Alex10  BWS Systems has been adding support for other software like Domoticz, this has caused HA-Bridge to become bloated software (my opinion).
You do not need Domoticz to use HA-Bridge on Linux nor do you need Alex10 on Windows.

I see Alexa, Google Home and to a lesser extent Cortana to be the 2018 must haves for HA.
I still use my PC voice (PcCompanion) and had been working to enhance it however Amazons Alexa and Google Home are making it look more and more like it is obsolete.

I've been playing with Samsungs SmartThings cloud developers console and this allows for many different protocols to use Alexa or Google Home.
The issue with this is there is no user friendly interface for those intimidated by scripts or simple programing (yet).

I looked at creating an Alexa skill for X10 but that requires learning a new language which isn't going to happen. :(
Creating Google Home skills don't look much easier B:(
Hopefully Authinx will come out with an Alexa Skill or at least release the protocol for the WM100 so some one else can create a skill for Alexa and/or Google  ::) :'

--- End quote ---

Quite a number of long time users of x10 have jumped ship over the collapse of AHP and the delay in finding a successor. I've followed your posts both here and on your own site and to be honest I think Authinx are playing a serious game of catch up at this stage. Patience is something that users do not have a lot of these days. Big on promise and short on delivery springs to mind.

You've done some sterling work assisting the remaining users of AHP to continue using x10 and for both that work and your other side projects relating to x10 on the Windows you have to be commended.

I stopped using Windows after the demise of XP and turned to Linux and have not looked back. I find choices in Linux are far greater and while the learning curve can be a bit steeper the rewards are worth it. This coupled with the fact that x10 is very usable on the Raspberry Pi now and off site control of my x10 automation and it's ability to integrate with other technologies on the same single board computer wins the day for me.

I'm using Domoticz for other technologies on the Raspberry Pi as well as for x10 so it was a bonus to be able to use x10 in this way. It means that for me x10 has a future in my home automation system setup.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on January 09, 2018, 05:49:02 PM ---Why do you have that usb cord plugged into a cube and not the power strip itself?

--- End quote ---

That unit has 3 USB outlets. Two are smart outlets (supposed to provide faster charging) and can provide up to 3.1 amps. The little white cube (in the picture) is my iPhone. I am overly protective of the iPhone... I only use the Apple [brand] chargers on it. The Black taller cube is the Echo Dot... and I am not sure of it's amperage (or even voltage) requirement. And since plug space there was no longer a consideration.... . I just plugged in the cubes.

But on the bright side. The USB outlets mean I won't have to fiddle around so much charging either of my Android tablets or my stand alone video cameras. Plus any visitors that need to charge their phone.... I have an outlet.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: petera on January 09, 2018, 07:41:47 PM ---......... to be honest I think Authinx are playing a serious game of catch up at this stage. Patience is something that users do not have a lot of these days.

....................I stopped using Windows after the demise of XP and turned to Linux and have not looked back....... This coupled with the fact that x10 is very usable on the Raspberry Pi now and off site control of my x10 automation and it's ability to integrate with other technologies on the same single board computer wins the day for me.

--- End quote ---

My Homeseer Hometroller is a Raspberry Pi device that allows me to use a CM15A interface to control my X10. And admittedly it runs rock solid.

tflemer:
I think a round of Auld Lang Syne might be in order here.  Another year where I didn’t convert to z wave.  I still remember hauling a small box of Insteon to the Goodwill about ten years ago.  While You Tubing to get an understanding of OpenHab, I watched this fella saying version 2 is so easy to install, anybody can do it.  Well – yes the install, which he did on YT, went well.  Then he started to talk about z wave.  Something went wrong, which I could not translate from the mumbling, except he had to bind all 50 of his modules a second time.  There are a couple things in z wave that are interesting, but 2018 will not be a year for full conversion.  My X10 is paid for and not dead.

Mrs. Tom bought me a Raspberry Pi for Christmas.  Yes-I am five years behind.  I was just waiting for version 3B.  Ho, ho, ha.  Really liking this little board.  I am familiar with other flavors of Linux, but Raspian Stretch is straight forward.  Sparse, but a full load of office tools.  I tried a few third-party HA packages on it.  I am settling on Homegenie for now.  Must be a glutton for punishment, going to HG after waiting for AHP to update.   Just being able to access the HA from any browser or tablet is up lifting.  I had a few thumps and bumps along the way. HG is starting to take shape.

To draw a parallel here, everything is Amazon this Amazon that.  Walmart is mounting a formidable attack.  Many people are pushing their budgets around to spend Amazon.  As if Jeff B will be the last man standing.  There will be people that feel abused and will shop elsewhere.  To the point, there is plenty of space for all the HAs to coexist.  Casualties – yes.  Is there a heavy hitter out there?  The other PLC, Programmable Logic Control, certainly has few.  Would be interesting if one of them saw enough market space to run.  Alexa, Google Home, Harmony, Siri…Watson.  A lot to look forward to.  I am liking Homegenie on RPi3B for now.

I don’t have a dog either.  Mother nature recently required that I walk the snow thrower.  Does that count?

Thanks to all the people on this forum for their help and humor. >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version