Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?  (Read 45109 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:40 PM »

............ Once you've purchased it it's just a case of downloading the Raspbian Stretch zip file, making an image of the Raspbian OS on the micro SD card using the Diskimage utility , pop it into the SD card slot on the Raspberry Pi and you're good to go.

You can achieve all this either by attaching a keyboard, mouse and monitor directly to the Raspberry Pi or do it on a Windows machine remotely by logging into the Pi via SSH.

As I said, get the kit first and we can take it from there. :)%

I ordered it today.

Found a video that looks like it might be helpful?!?!?  https://youtu.be/gbJB3387xUw
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:38:51 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 07:43:00 AM »

............ Once you've purchased it it's just a case of downloading the Raspbian Stretch zip file, making an image of the Raspbian OS on the micro SD card using the Diskimage utility , pop it into the SD card slot on the Raspberry Pi and you're good to go.

You can achieve all this either by attaching a keyboard, mouse and monitor directly to the Raspberry Pi or do it on a Windows machine remotely by logging into the Pi via SSH.

As I said, get the kit first and we can take it from there. :)%

I ordered it today.

Found a video that looks like it might be helpful?!?!?  https://youtu.be/gbJB3387xUw

Yes a lot of install tutorials on YouTube and plenty of other sources on the web too. Another YouTube tutorial that might be of help too
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Th_3AvK-EbM

Remember once you have gotten used to the look and feel of the Raspberry Pi you will be able to eventually disconnect all the peripherals and access the Raspberry Pi from any computer you like via SSH. As the Raspberry Pi has wifi and Bluetooth built in the only peripheral you will need attached to it is whatever x10 controller you choose.

HomeGenie like most other HA software these days is accessed via web API's so your Raspberry Pi will act as a server. Again this for later but you will find it is quite easy to set up

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »

I just bought and installed a RPI3 32gB with a zigbee card. Going to have to play with connecting to my HomeSeer/z-wave and to X10. I may move my other CM15A from the PC to the RPi, not sure yet.

I opted for the complete canakit with housing, SD card, power supply, etc. The kit comes with a pre-loaded SD card with various options. For under a $100 including zigbee it will keep me busy for quite some time.  ;D

Using VNC to connect from other PC in the house. And using graphical interface for now. NOOB!

HA Dave

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »

......... Yes a lot of install tutorials on YouTube and plenty of other sources on the web too......

Remember once you have gotten used to the look and feel of the Raspberry Pi you will be able to eventually disconnect all the peripherals and access the Raspberry Pi from any computer you like via SSH. As the Raspberry Pi has wifi and Bluetooth built in the only peripheral you will need attached to it is whatever x10 controller you choose.

HomeGenie like most other HA software these days is accessed via web API's so your Raspberry Pi will act as a server. Again this for later but you will find it is quite easy to set up

This is so VERY familiar.... as I have been running the Hometroller (Homeseer) which runs a (proprietary I would assume) version of software on a RBP. I am stoked! Can't wait for the Raspberry Pi unit to arrive. I haven't had a nice project like this for months!

HA Dave

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »

I just bought and installed a RPI3 32gB with a zigbee card. Going to have to play with connecting to my HomeSeer/z-wave and to X10. I may move my other CM15A from the PC to the RPi, not sure yet.

We think alike! I just ordered
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778CZ97B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A30ZYR2W3VAJ0A&psc=1
]this Pi unit
My hope.... is to replace my old HA laptop (with the XP OS) which runs a CM15A....  that also is running BVC.

The wife and I have become very accustomed to having a talking house (thanks to the BVC software). But..... I like the idea of simplifying the setup with these units. I've been VERY impressed with the Homeseer-Hometroller unit you sent/gave me.

But.... I also like the idea of learning a new skill... and exploiting this no-longer new technology.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »

......... Yes a lot of install tutorials on YouTube and plenty of other sources on the web too......

This is so VERY familiar.... as I have been running the Hometroller (Homeseer) which runs a (proprietary I would assume) version of software on a RBP. I am stoked! Can't wait for the Raspberry Pi unit to arrive. I haven't had a nice project like this for months!

Well HA DAVE you already have a Raspberry Pi so if you have a Hometroller Zee. An older Pi model with an older version of Homeseer and Raspbian running on it. Just pop the case apart, it clips apart and check what model you have. The Raspberry Pi 3 is a far greater speced board and you'll notice the difference once you have it up and running.

The Homeseer Forum will have all the info you need to get x10 up and running too. And don't be afraid to ask the members here either. I have my RPI 3 running my alarm panel, my cameras and my lights and switches (via x10) all through Homeseer. I put my RPI inside my alarm panel which powers it via a step down 12vdc to 5vdc so I'm not even aware it's there now.

My laptops/desktops are retired now. I use another RPI running Ubuntu for my computing needs and everything runs 24/7 and I'd hardly notice the difference on my electricity bill.

HA Dave

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »

...........Well HA DAVE you already have a Raspberry Pi.. if you have a Hometroller Zee. ...................... The Raspberry Pi 3 is a far greater speced board and you'll notice the difference once you have it up and running.

The Homeseer Forum will have all the info you need to get x10 up and running too. And don't be afraid to ask the members here either.

My laptops/desktops are retired now. I use another RPI running Ubuntu for my computing needs and everything runs 24/7 and I'd hardly notice the difference on my electricity bill.

Yeah.... I knew the Hometroller was/is a Raspberry Pi. And I LOVE that device! Thanks again to racerfern for the Hometroller.

I am also a HUGE ;D fan of X10 and Home Automation in general. And I fully expect to quickly become a fan of X10's new WiFi device (soon to be released). But with SO MUCH happening with HA tech right now.... I can't help but dive right in and explore and test out as many possibilities as I can. Even though I am late for the Linux, and Raspberry party.... as others here at the forum have already lead the way.

Turning my back on Microsoft.... would be like... deleting Kate16 ;D (my 16 bit female computer voice that talks to me). We've been together a very long time. rofl 

But times change. And I need to keep up. I've complained and hassled other forum members about their reluctance to accept the benefits of cloud computing. I have been a diehard Microsoft user (and former net work admin).... for many years. However.... I am open minded and willing to keep an eye out for new opportunities and imaginative solutions. Particularly when it comes to technology. As this is the time of year (the Home Automation season) to try out the most time consuming efforts (and fun parts) of HA. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:27:05 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »

We need a special forum for wifi/X10/zwave/zigbee/whatever mix and make work along with Alexa/Siri/Google/BVC/ and run by HomeSeer/Domocitz/AHP/openhab/.

Someone fill me in on anything I missed.

My first zigbee purchase: http://bit.ly/2muokMD

@HA Dave - I bought this zigbee board: http://amzn.to/2CW0505
Also, the kit you ordered comes with an SD card with all kinds of versions of the OS. I went with the first one. No need to zip, unzip, write images, etch SD cards, etc. Go with the canakit instructions before you start following a youtube video. The canakit setup is pretty bullet proof. Stick the card in the slot, plug it in and you're on your way.

HA Dave

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 04:16:34 PM »

@HA Dave ........
... the kit you ordered comes with an SD card with all kinds of versions of the OS. I went with the first one. No need to zip, unzip, write images, etch SD cards, etc. Go with the canakit instructions before you start following a youtube video. The canakit setup is pretty bullet proof. Stick the card in the slot, plug it in and you're on your way.

Yeah..... there are bunches of Raspberry Pi kits. The basic $36 credit card sized computer is still easy to find. But... I went with the full-blown, everything included, latest, fastest, assembled in UK version. Because...... I don't know what I doing... and want it to work. I am looking forward to learning more about this. While meanwhile.... thanks to your old Hometroller.... my X10 functions flawlessly with my Amazon echo, or by app on my phone from anywhere.

racerfern

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 06:26:12 PM »

@HA Dave - I bought the exact same kit as you. I've jumped through the hoops so email me before you jump into the fire.

HA Dave

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:21 PM »

@HA Dave - I bought the exact same kit as you. I've jumped through the hoops so email me before you jump into the fire.

Very cool.

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »

My Raspberry Pi just arrived.

HA Dave

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 08:33:42 PM »

The cartoon is how it felt. A tiny little box with a few tiny parts. Assembled with old (junk) leftover parts... wired keyboard and mouse... a square-ish monitor. The setup was different... yet completely familiar... everything was in English (that's always helpful for me).

Gathering parts and pieces, assembling the Raspberry's box, and installing an operating system.... took about an hour. Or as we used to say... less than five X10 minute's.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2018, 05:49:29 AM »

Looks real fine.
I may try some X10 stuff with one of mine.

I added a HDMI to VGA adapter to one of mine. So I could see it on an old VGA monitor. Though I got the optional 1/8" signal cable. With L and R audio, composite video signal. Still in the package it was in.

I have another one with the Official Pi Touch Screen and a SmartPi case to mount them in.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:41:33 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »

I may try some X10 stuff with one of mine.
I added a HDMI to VGA adapter to one of mine. So I could see it on an old VGA monitor.....

I had a HDMI to DVI adapter already.... that's an old monitor... but it had a DVI (as well as VGA) plug.

I am thinking........ MAYBE... installing the windows 10 core as an OS. Then AHP and Smart Macros + BVC (maybe have to create wav files for announcements).

Still ALOT to figure out. I'd like to take down my BVC laptop (it's 17 years old). But... I love the voice announcements and warnings!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.