Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?  (Read 45125 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Tis the season... Home Automation Season. New ideas?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »

I am thinking........ MAYBE... installing the windows 10 core as an OS.

Definitely keep me posted on this. Thanks and good luck!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »

I've read mixed reviews on Windows core but, I've seen a few YouTube videos of it in action for HA using the built in Cortana voice assistant.
It does look promising.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »

Definitely keep me posted on this. Thanks and good luck!

No problem! I was greatly helped with your email directions... and encouragement.

Many of my HA trials in the past.... have ended in failure. But the successes make the failures well worth it. I feel like getting a Pi PC up and running was a success in itself.... well worth the price of admission.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:26 AM »

I've read mixed reviews on Windows core but, I've seen a few YouTube videos of it in action for HA using the built in Cortana voice assistant.
It does look promising.
I posted this 18 months ago.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=29607.msg166632#msg166632

The link in my post no longer points to the original issue so here's the Magic Mirror article.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/magic-mirror/
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »

I seem to remember reading that Dave.
The videos I've seen using Cortana and HA I believe were using the new Cortana HA Skills available for it.
This would allow users to add HA without requiring any programing skills.
SmartThings has a skill for it and I have managed to control X10 via Alexa and Google using the SmartThings skill
I've tried to test some of these skills out there for Cortana but they are Geoblocked, I'm told they will be available to Canada in the near future. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 12:30:48 PM »

....I posted this 18 months ago.

You, Brian H and maybe a handful of others are well ahead of me (and most of everyone else in the world) on this. I don't know if I'll ever get caught up! I am trying to approach this methodically (I hope that helps).

But with X10's WiFi unit so close to a release date.... if they offer the required [Amazon] "skill"... then it's game over in many ways. Because otherwise this stuff is a little too nerdy for most of us.... maybe me included. Meanwhile... those who wish to live "cloud-free" (if that was possible) need not pair the X10 unit (win, win).

I'd still like to have the BVC voice alerts. I just wonder if Bill could create a Raspbian version of BVC?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »

I'd still like to have the BVC voice alerts. I just wonder if Bill could create a Raspbian version of BVC?
Doing voice alerts wouldn't be to hard the issue would be using the voice or face set you have enjoyed.
The Viceme events in order to sync the graphics I believe is unique to Windows (however I could be wrong).
I did manage to hack something together and work for Android with TAC but no where near as smooth as in Windows.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »

If you are going to install it on a LCD or TV, consider getting one of the VESA mounts.  It can connect right to the back of the display as though it was meant to be there.  I've actually even seen some that make a bubble of sorts over the RPi so it look integrated rather than an add-on.

HA Dave

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »

Well..... the window 10 core doesn't seem like it would fit my needs. As it appears to be designed more to run... or create an app to run (on a full
windows unit).

But, I may have found an X10 controlling software that will run on a RBP. I'd heard of it some time ago. I guess the windows version is no longer around but the Pi version has even been update (I think). Called Misterhouse (http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/).

Now... I need to figure how to "install" a program on a Pi. Everything I've seen or read makes it seem complex. Can I just download to the Pi unit?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:29:35 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 06:34:34 AM »

Windows core will run on a pi. it will not run on a PC.
There are actually several Linux HA softwares that will run on a pi some may be easier to use then others.
I'd look at HomeGenie as well, If I remember it had a nice interface. I know a few here use it so I'm sure they'll chime in with helpful advice.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

That's what I've read as well. But win10 core is designed to run "apps". I haven't found any actual app format [apps] for X10 HA. And I am not sure actual programs will work with core. It could be there is no difference between apps and programs... I don't really know.

There are actually several Linux HA softwares that will run on a pi some may be easier to use then others.
I'd look at HomeGenie as well, If I remember it had a nice interface. I know a few here use it so I'm sure they'll chime in with helpful advice.

Yeah.... I am looking at and reading as much as I can. As far as HomeGenie.... I have the latest Raspberry Pi 3... which runs the Raspbian OS. But this is what I found at the HomeGenie DL site:  Notes for installing on Raspberry Pi:

HomeGenie can be installed on Raspberry Pi following Linux instructions above, though it will only run on Soft-float Debian “wheezy” systems. It won't work properly on Raspbian “wheezy” nor any other hard float system due to a bug in Mono core (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=11634).

So... as I read it. I am out on my current Pi device. Although an older Pi unit would/should work.

HA Dave

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »

The nice thing is..... I am learning a few things. Maybe not productive things... but still I am enjoying the learning process.

I find it frustrating that many "instructions" merely state open such folder and type "this" here... and then type that there....
But no explanation as to why. Or even what the typed entry instructs the program/device to do. I've yet to even learn how to add a program (like MisterHouse) to my RBP.  But... I am working on it.

I' am getting some email instructions, support and help from racerfern. So maybe... I'll get it figured out.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »

That's what I've read as well. But win10 core is designed to run "apps". I haven't found any actual app format [apps] for X10 HA. And I am not sure actual programs will work with core. It could be there is no difference between apps and programs... I don't really know.

Yeah.... I am looking at and reading as much as I can. As far as HomeGenie.... I have the latest Raspberry Pi 3... which runs the Raspbian OS. But this is what I found at the HomeGenie DL site:  Notes for installing on Raspberry Pi:

HomeGenie can be installed on Raspberry Pi following Linux instructions above, though it will only run on Soft-float Debian “wheezy” systems. It won't work properly on Raspbian “wheezy” nor any other hard float system due to a bug in Mono core (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=11634).

So... as I read it. I am out on my current Pi device. Although an older Pi unit would/should work.

HA DAVE, that version of Raspbian Wheezy is two versions back and not a consideration if you use Raspbian Jessie or Raspbian Stretch.

Your NOOBS SD card should have the latest version of Raspbian installed. Just pop the SD card into the slot, connect up the peripherals, plug in the Raspberry Pi 3 and let the Raspbian OS install itself. Once you have performed this the next step will be to follow the steps on the previous link I sent you to install HomeGenie.

Believe me, there's nothing nerdy about the Raspberry Pi 3. You can become a nerd if you choose to but once the HA software (Homegenie) is installed you can get working on your x10 setup. Don't forget the Raspberry Pi has the option of adding its own camera which will add more usability to your setup.

Get Windows out of your head and start thinking Raspbian  :)% Theres life after Windows, believe me  >!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »

Just an idea HA Dave. If someone is helping you at the moment that has Homegenie already installed, you could send them a blank 16gig SD card, they could take an image of their current setup, transfer that image to the blank SD card and return the card to you.

All you would have to do is pop that SD card into your own Raspberry Pi and you're good to go. No copy issues here as its all open source. This will take all the learning fun out of installing your system but at least you will have a plug'n'go system if that's what you're looking for.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »

@petera - Thanks for chiming in. I too will be following this closely. I believe his goal is to have the pi control the CM15A so he can retire the laptop. But the only software that programs the CM15A is AHP which is windows based, obviously. HA Dave says he's getting help from me...not really, last time I typed a command line was in DR-DOS. :'

I tried HomeGenie on windows and it was painfully slow and difficult to wrap my head around. Is it easier/better on Pi?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.