Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like the ability to have a scene started based on a device on/off

Yes!
- 26 (100%)
No, The way it is now is fine for me now
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Please Add device triggering to scenes  (Read 2394 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Please Add device triggering to scenes
« on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »

Currently scenes must be started by opening the app and manually clicking the off button to turn it on.
The option to use a trigger of a modules status change (Off or On) would be a very helpful option.
Other trigger options would be nice as well but I'm thinking baby steps for the programmer! ;)
Note: Commenting keeps the topic in the top of the list, voting for it makes the possibility of it happening better, if you vote in favor. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rjp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Please Add device triggering to scenes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »

Absolutely scenes need a method to trigger  via x10 commands.   Obviously there are a variety of handheld x10 remote controls that are not essential with a WM100 wifi and app, but that's not the only purpose of triggering "scenes" or  macros with x10 commands.   

Broaden the market for the WM100 by facilitating x10 triggers:

X10 commands can be initiated with devices such as the X10 PSC01 Powerflash that accept contact closures or low voltage inputs.  For example, a garage door magnetic contact can trigger sequences in a cm15a.  I use a PSC01 powerflash to interface to a sprinkler controller's 24vac pump start output to sequence a pump on the other side of the property.  This application became possible because of X10's powerline control as the distance and metal structures essentially eliminated rf options. The same module is often used in x10 burglar alarms which then allows a variety of alarms and lights to sequence.   

Another unit, the X10 PRO XPT3 Interface Transmitter is capable of interfacing to four contacts and then relaying x10 commands.   Normally the CM15a is configured with Macros to create a sequence or "scene" based on these kinds of inputs.  Again, having four "universal" inputs adds versatility to x10 control options.

In a similar manner, the X10 UM506 Universal Module allows dry contact and easy to implement low voltage outputs, making the whole x10 strategy more adaptable to a wider audience than just lights on and off.  I once had one of these modules timing heat pump defrost cycles in the middle of winter when the heat pump's demand defrost board failed.  Kept the house warm accomplished at a user level.   The UM506 module also can be set to provide an audible alarm indication as well.

Yes, X10 triggering of the WM100's scenes should be considered essential for the success of the WM100.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:31:40 PM by rjp »

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »

I have a scene that I use daily. I need to open the app and trigger the scene as you describe. I would LOVE to be able to pick up a PP and hit a button to trigger the scene!!

My current work around is having a macro that does the same thing in the CM15 that I can trigger if my phone isn't handy...but I'd like to lose the CM one day...

JimWise

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »

I have a whole slew of triggers set up with ActiveHome and the CM15A.  I have several of the XPT4 units (four rocker switches that fit in the space of a single decorator switch plate.  You set the house and unit code for the top switch, and each of the others are automatically incremented by one).

It is nice to set all four switches of each of the XPT4 units to a house code that I do not actually use for any devices, and allow the ActiveHome macros in my CM15A trigger what I actually desire to have happen.  It allows me to have each XPT4 use the top button to flip the light for the room it is in, but also allow all of them to control the outdoor lights with the bottom switch.  I also use triggers (macros) to do things like allowing me to flip one X10 wall switch by my entry and having it turn on my porch lights, hall light, and kitchen light, VERY handy for bringing in the groceries at night.

Back before ActiveHome lost he extra plug-ins, like Smart Macros, I used those with the light/motion sensors to do all sorts of fun things.  The If/Then/Else type statements and setting variables made for a VERY flexible and powerful system.

I see this sort of functionality as the MAJOR differentiator between what the X10 was capable of and so many of the new pop-up companies selling WiFi controllable switches and outlets.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:44:29 PM »

Smart Macros can still be installed. Without the old X10 registration servers.
You may have to use AHP Life Jacket.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.