Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How many additional WM100s would you like the App to work with

At least 2
- 19 (76%)
More (please explain)
- 4 (16%)
Just one Hub suits my needs (leave it the same)
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Please add ability for app to work with more then one x10 Hub!  (Read 12069 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Please add ability for app to work with more then one x10 Hub!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 02:44:50 AM »

Some users utilize X10 at their place of work as well as their home.
Not so bad I guess if you have a business phone and a home cell. ::) :'
Personally I only need to be able to access two Willy 100s in different locations but I can see the need for some users wishing to access more.
The App has so many untapped possibilities.
You can already access Willy with multi phones why not give the app the ability to access multi Willies?
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 02:55:36 AM »

It might make more sense for both Authinx and users were Authinx to become a Raspberry Pi OEM and sell a RPi3 preprogrammed with Windows 10 IoT Core and an application like the link below plus the touchscreen. It would be far easier to manage/update than multiple WM100s.
https://www.hackster.io/justin-credible/smart-home-dashboard-f959ee?ref=tag&ref_id=smart%20building%20win10&offset=23

I'm rethinking this given that Microsoft has just released a version of Windows 10 that runs on certain ARM CPUs. I can't believe that MS wants to see an entire generation learn computing using one of the 57,000 varieties of Linux. I'm betting we'll soon see a version of Windows 10 that runs on the ARM CPU used for the RPi3.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »

I'd most like to see the WM100 handle more than 32 devices.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:10 AM »

I'm betting we'll soon see a version of Windows 10 that runs on the ARM CPU used for the RPi3.

They did this a while ago. It is the Windows 10 IoT Core: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/getstarted/prototype/setupdevice

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »

I was aware of IoT Core for RPi but I'm hoping for a full version of Windows that can run existing Windows applications like what was just released for the other CPUs. With IoT Core you have to have some companion software on a full Windows machine in order to interact with it. And, as far as I can tell, it cannot connect with Android or iOS, limiting its usefulness in today's HA universe.

An RPi3 with a battery-backed RTC running Windows would be a powerful tool for HA. While Android/iOS support might not be immediate, it would likely follow quickly.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 02:56:04 AM »

A few years back, when Microsoft first announced the IoT Core, they did a pretty poor job of explaining that it was only a core (they marketed it as "run Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi"). So, I went out and bought a few RPi 2's (the 3 hadn't been released yet), for the express purpose of using them as lightweight machines my kids could use for web browsing. Of course, when they finally released it as just the IoT Core, I was rather disappointed, and found other uses for the RPi 2's.

If they *actually* put out a GUI version of Windows that can run on the RPi (probably the 3 only - I don't expect it to run on the 2), I might revisit it.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 03:28:52 AM »

Here's an article explaining the current release...
https://www.howtogeek.com/309119/what-is-windows-10-on-arm-and-how-is-it-different-from-windows-rt/
It has a lot of limitations.The Arm chip used in the RPi3 is capable of running Windows. BTW, my kids started with a Sinclair ZX-81.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:31:04 AM by dhouston »

bubbah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 03:43:46 PM »

I do have an x10 plug in range extender in use allowing me to control devices in a second building about 200' line of sight unobstructed. I pine for a dual or more device aspect on one phone. I also would love voice assistant integration. I have lost hope to see it...

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »

I do have an x10 plug in range extender in use allowing me to control devices in a second building about 200' line of sight unobstructed. I pine for a dual or more device aspect on one phone. I also would love voice assistant integration. I have lost hope to see it...

You can see it here: https://smartenit.com/product-category/gateways-hubs/
One app can control multiple units (I have two running) and it works with Alexa (there's an Alexa Skill for it). And it's less expensive than a WM100.

It syncs the time by itself;
Handles dawn, dusk and DST correctly;
It maintains schedules;
It has an Alexa Skill;
It has a web dashboard;
It controls X10, Insteon and ZigBee devices;
It sends email/SMS notifications;
It just works.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.