Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you access it via a web browser if that were possible?

Yes - adding access from a browser would be helpful
- 36 (90%)
Maybe - I don't know if I would use it that way or not
- 4 (10%)
No - I would never use it via a browser
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Add a Web interface option (accessible from a web browser, not just an app)  (Read 4330 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

I just got my unit last night, and started playing with it a little. While the app seems easy enough to use for setup, it would be nice if there were a way to access that same(or similar) interface from a computer. Sometimes a computer is just easier for setup / data entry types of operations.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

I had hoped to see something like this too, although I believe the WM100 uses Get, Push, Pull a web page will work along side that. A bit more security would be needed, or maybe limiting it to the local network.
Of coarse if the protocol was published one could create thier own webpage. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I didn't vote on this one. I have real mixed feelings. For more and more people.... their phone (and maybe a tablet) ARE their home computers. Leaning on the older standardized tech.... may be a step backwards. But I'll keep pondering this.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator

Maybe adding the option to activate a built in web page where you assign the port. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Richard D

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Support to a local intranet browser would motivate me to buy. I use a small feature phone and do not need or want a larger smart phone. Browser support would allow access from just about any tablet or laptop and would add Windows devices. Ideally the interface would be customizable and could adapt to both small phone sized screens and larger laptop screens.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org

My left hand has been paralyzed for 7-8 years and my right hand seems headed there, too. I have no smartphone or tablet so a web interface might tempt me to buy a WM100.

About 15-20 years ago I had nearly the same level of control with...
Pronto + X10 RF: https://www.laser.com/dhouston/pronto.html
BX24-AHT: https://www.laser.com/dhouston/manual.pdf
IP-Commander: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/IP-Commander.html
Global Cache GC-100: https://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-100/models1/

It's nice to see the rest of the world catching up.  :'
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator

It is becoming more and more apparent that this is the way Authinix should have went in the first place.
users with one OS having to wait for a fix because another OS update creates an issue is absurd. B:(
This should be the number one (top of the list) add to the WM100.
Every one should be voting YES for this one.
Almost any device with a browser would surely be able to connect.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Smee

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I don't know what hardware is underneath the WM100. Having some kind of browser or web app would certainly lessen my my concern with the WM100 since it seems totally dependant on an outside service to work.  Although I bought one a month ago, not being able to use it with Google Home or Alexa directly is also a downer. Not having a web interface or some other hooks to help facilitate that, limits the product. I ran a scan and packet capture on the WM100 and see it is currently using MQTT, with the WM100 talking to the Alibaba Cloud center in California on port 1883. It only has one port open which is 18883 which is an on unencrypted MQTT port I think but is not currently used by anything. It could be possible that the plan is to build something that does, like some pc software or web interface if there is some hardware limitation.

I'm still happy with mine, but would have expected that last bit more. I do have hopes that a future upgrade will bring some of these things to us.

Smee

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

I monitor homes for clients, so it would be nice to have a web interface so I can manage their cameras and lights in a web browser.

Even if it requires a website for the product and account and needs to have a monthly/yearly fee, that's not a bad deal.  I do that with my WiFi thermostat, it's $10 a year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:55:48 PM by arizona480 »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House

I'm glad someone tracked which web service this uses. Disappointed it's Alibaba.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

I'm glad someone tracked which web service this uses. Disappointed it's Alibaba.

A cloud server in California owned (or leased to) Alibaba. I have no problem with that. We knew from the beginning that these units weren't going to be created in Detroit. It is however....  a darn shame that [the new] X10 doesn't embrace the technology enough to be a bigger part of the design process.

……. see it is currently using MQTT, with the WM100 talking to the Alibaba Cloud center in California on port 1883.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Add a Web interface option (accessible from a web browser, not just an app)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:42 AM »

...I ran a scan and packet capture on the WM100 and see it is currently using MQTT, with the WM100 talking to the Alibaba Cloud center in California on port 1883. It only has one port open which is 18883 which is an on unencrypted MQTT port I think but is not currently used by anything.......

Smee

Is there any way to track the health of this web server?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

Re: Add a Web interface option (accessible from a web browser, not just an app)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »

Is there any way to track the health of this web server?

Yeah... the old fashion way would be with a phone call. But servers just don't have the problems they had decades ago. I've received two seperate apoligize emals from cloud service in recent years for exstreamly brief temporary server downtime. I would guess... some of the server problems experenced may be from firewall issues/settings on the device, or the router, being used on your end.

In the old days... when we had to "click to approve" software updates it was easier to track problems caused but such updates. I remember once... losing soundcard functions after a (PC maker) factory update. Knowing the update occured made it easy to figure out what went wrong and restore my setting... to as before the update. Now-a-days default setting are prone to allow such updates to happen behind the scenes. And limited setting at the router may/will effect the ability for a device to act as desired no matter which setting are applied aft of the router firewall.

Running outside of the Microsoft and/or Apple (iphone)... can complicate many functions... IMHO... I could be wrong

Jason B

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Is anyone still using this option to control X10 via their phone? I had x10 commander, but got a new phone and can't get it to work. It's driving me nuts

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

I still use the WM100, mostly when the Smartenit server is down or I'm outside and want to change something and can't speak to my secretary (Alexa)

Also when I'm out of town, I can control lighting and check to see if it's working while watching my Blink cams...kind of funny to watch a camera in one app to see if lights are going on and off from another app..
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.