Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restrict access to former roommate  (Read 1300 times)

timlight10

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Restrict access to former roommate
« on: December 25, 2023, 01:58:13 PM »

Hello, someone is moving out of my house and they have the X10 app on their phone, linked to my WM100. Is there a way to restrict access to my WM100 when they leave beyond asking them to remove the app?

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Restrict access to former roommate
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 06:46:42 PM »

I can't remember the setup of the WM100, but if I recall, don't you need to log into the wireless network to connect initially. What if you were to reconfigure your wireless with a different password? Would they then need to reconnect to the network for which they now have no password?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 12:36:37 PM »

Change password for WM100.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 03:39:20 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

timlight10

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 08:41:06 AM »

I can't remember the setup of the WM100, but if I recall, don't you need to log into the wireless network to connect initially. What if you were to reconfigure your wireless with a different password? Would they then need to reconnect to the network for which they now have no password?
WM100 works over the internet, you don't need to be on a wireless network to use it.

My WM100 doesn't have a password... where does the password go?

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 05:36:46 PM »

WM100 works over the internet, you don't need to be on a wireless network to use it.

Unplug your wireless router and let me know if you can connect to the WM100, I'd be interested to find out....

My WM100 doesn't have a password... where does the password go?

walking catfish

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 09:16:46 PM »

I think they are suggesting that you change your WIFI password. This would block your former roommate from connecting to your network locally.

I'm not so sure that it will prevent them from connecting to your WM100 over the internet.

Also, changing your WIFI password will require you to perform a factory reset on your WM100 (per the instruction manual) and set it up all over again. Not to mention changing the WIFI password in all of your connected devices.

I suggest that you email X10 support with your question at: support.x10.com

They will need your name, your email address, your order number (if available) and a description of your problem.

Sorry I couldn't offer an easy solution.

walking catfish

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 09:25:29 PM »

If you have significant networking skills there are ways to block their phone from your network (Internet and WIFI) - But only if you are quite knowledgeable in networking, WIFI and routers.

Otherwise I would still suggest contacting X10 support (refer to my last post).

timlight10

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 10:36:16 AM »

I think they are suggesting that you change your WIFI password. This would block your former roommate from connecting to your network locally.

I'm not so sure that it will prevent them from connecting to your WM100 over the internet.

Also, changing your WIFI password will require you to perform a factory reset on your WM100 (per the instruction manual) and set it up all over again. Not to mention changing the WIFI password in all of your connected devices.

I suggest that you email X10 support with your question at: support.x10.com

They will need your name, your email address, your order number (if available) and a description of your problem.

Sorry I couldn't offer an easy solution.
Thanks, this is basically what X10 support told me to do. I will be looking into blocking the remote person from the network instead. Seems like this was a major oversight in the WM100's design.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.