Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Work from Phones/Tablets outside your home?  (Read 7220 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Work from Phones/Tablets outside your home?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 04:53:30 AM »

... Would that create a problem if your home IP changes (as it could, in theory, if your router reboots, etc)?
I'm pretty sure it would need some sort of authentication password to modify my router's firewall rules to make a direct connection inbound - and I certainly never gave it anything of the sort.

I think you (we) did. Only instead of manually typing everything out.... we scanned a QR code thingy on the devices back... then shared the same logon password that our phone/tablet uses. If your phone can connect... everything else should as well.
The WiFi password doesn't give the device permission to modify the router's configuration (especially since the WiFi access point it connects to is a physically different device than the router where the changes would have to take place - with a completely different set of credentials for logging in. While I haven't gone back and checked the router's configuration (I meant to last night,  but forgot), I'd be really surprised if the WM100 was able to modify the router's firewall rules without my permission.
And even if it were somehow able to do that, the mobile device would be connecting to the public IP of the router, which is DHCP in most cases. How would the WM100 inform the app *remotely* of an IP change? It only makes sense that there is a server involved, and both devices open a connection to the server.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:55:58 AM by Noam »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »

I just got a email back regarding how the WM100 connects.
It basically connects the same as Amazon Alexa devices using a Amazon cloud server.
This should make any Alexa skill developed very quick. :)%
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:21 AM »

So, when Amazon goes kaput, or someone stops paying the lease, the Willie 100 becomes just another brick on the wall?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »

I had to set up port forwarding for all of my IP cameras in order to view them while away from home. I tried to view said cams before I established port forwarding, with no success. I don't know if this is the case because I have a static IP address

Did I hear someone here say they did not need to set up port forwarding in order to view their ip cams while away from the house

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 12:03:08 PM »

So, when Amazon goes kaput, or someone stops paying the lease, the Willie 100 becomes just another brick on the wall?
Pretty much.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »

If Amazon goes kaput 90% of all IoT devices will be bricks! ::) :'
However there may just be a way to configure the WM100 to use with your own server.
We may have to wait for the protocol but there is a hack for the itead sonof modules which also use the amazon cloud severs. ;)
https://blog.ipsumdomus.com/sonoff-switch-complete-hack-without-firmware-upgrade-1b2d6632c01

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »

Did I hear someone here say they did not need to set up port forwarding in order to view their ip cams while away from the house
You need to use an app that allows QR scanning or UID manual inputting
This will only work from a smartphone it will not work from a PC or web browser.
I tested this out on an old phone to connect to an IP camera I had setup using this method on my new phone.
I typed in the UID and Password hit connect and it connected. It did take a while for it to initially find the camera. This was also not the X10 Airsight app I tested this with.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »

Forgive me folks if I seem a bit repetitive; just trying to get a better grasp on things. So, since the VM 100 connects via one's cell phone app through your modem, and since your Cell phone is already set up via WiFi through your modem, there is no need to use other servers for the VM100?

If the above is true, there should be no issue unless your provider's server crashes?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »

You do not need to setup any additional servers for the WM100 to work with your phone from anywhere.
As long as your phone can connect to the internet and your homes modem is connected to the internet you'll be able to control devices on the WM100.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »

On my Android phone at least, the app turns WiFi back on and tries to reconnect to my home network) when I open it up. I was trying to test the operation over 4G - and it basically wasn't letting me. I had to leave the house, and move far enough out of my WiFi range (so the phone couldn't reconnect to my home WiFi) to test it that way.
That has been flagged as a bug which I'm told is being fixed for the next release.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 06:54:39 AM »

Anyone still thinking of a HA wall display.... Amazon has there 7 inch tablets for $39.99 which includes the built-in Alexa. So you can use the touchscreen to control devices.... or just ask Alexa to do that.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »

Today my wm100 arrived. No real problem setting it up. Wish it either could be synced with Alexa or had its own voice control. Do I need AHP pc running for wm100 to work? I’ll test that over the weekend. 
I have few smart light plugs which can also be controlled with Alexa and wish Wm100 could sync with them too.
I observed that wm100 is pole sensitive. On purpose I plugged it upside down and blue light didn’t come on.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »

Today my wm100 arrived. No real problem setting it up. Wish it either could be synced with Alexa or had its own voice control. Do I need AHP pc running for wm100 to work? I’ll test that over the weekend. 
I have few smart light plugs which can also be controlled with Alexa and wish Wm100 could sync with them too.
I observed that wm100 is pole sensitive. On purpose I plugged it upside down and blue light didn’t come on.

You do not need AHP running. I do not have a PC or AHP running 24/7 and have no issues at all connecting to or using WM100. Most all my HA is done via loaded CM15, and no conflicts with the WM100 either.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »

You do not need AHP running. I do not have a PC or AHP running 24/7 and have no issues at all connecting to or using WM100. Most all my HA is done via loaded CM15, and no conflicts with the WM100 either.
[/quote]

I do need pc running 24/7 because I have some macros that run on AHP pc.
Now if those macros could be run from wm100 then I would not need running pc. Right now I don’t even know how and if macros can be run from Willy 100.

Would appreciate any example of a macro setup on Willy 100

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 01:08:18 AM »

Currently macros can not be created on the WM100.
Scenes are as close to macros as you can get right now  but they have no trigger option.
Hopfully a update will remedy this shortly
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.