Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dyson Strangeness  (Read 1893 times)

m82a1pa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Dyson Strangeness
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »

I was about to post a negative comment about my WIFI unit.  Luckily I didn't.

I have a couple of X10 modules in my den.  An appliance module and a light module.  The WIFI unit did not work with either, but my old Maxi Controller did.

I ran an extension cord to another outlet.  No dice.  I then ran the cord to a power strip that had a new Dyson fan/heater combo plugged into it.  I unplugged the Dyson to use that socket and the WIFI controller worked.  Thinking there's something amiss with the other outlets, I plugged the Dyson back in.  No more WIFI control.

The Dyson is going back tomorrow.  The other outlets now work.

A lucky break.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Dyson Strangeness
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:40:27 AM »

The power supply in the Dyson probably was a signal sucker or noise maker.
That killed or weakened the X10 power line commands. From the WiFi module or any other X10 module receiver or sender. So it is probably fine.

You may have been able to power it through an X10 power line filter. Depending on current drawn.  An X10Pro XPPF or a Smarthome FilterLinc.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:01:34 PM »

I was about to post a negative comment about my WIFI unit.  Luckily I didn't.......
.................... The Dyson is going back tomorrow.  The other outlets now work.

I had a laptop some years ago... and it's transformer/power unit would kill X10 PLC's on much of my first floor. That prompted me to buy my first "filter". I don't have a BUNCH of filters now or anything like that... but I do use a few.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

m82a1pa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »

I just sent it back.  Just wasn't worth $300 to have an issue like that.  It's way overhyped.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:19:33 PM »

I just sent it back.  Just wasn't worth $300 to have an issue like that.  It's way overhyped.

Yeah... Dyson products are engineering marvels... a status symbol, and near "object of art". Worth the price? I am no expert on that.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 03:12:45 AM »

Don't be too surprised if other new electronic marvels also effect X10.
Many of them just add a big AC rated capacitor across the AC input. To suppress the devices internal electronic noise. This capacitor also sucks up X10 signals. All it would take to allow power line signals to be unaffected is a coil beteen the Line input and the capacitor. OH I forgot that would add to the BOM  costs.  ???

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.