Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My ihome brand devices failed.  (Read 2070 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
My ihome brand devices failed.
« on: January 27, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »

The day after my iPhone update revealed it's new Home app/icon (more than a year ago) I ordered my ihome modules from Amazon. They setup quickly and worked perfectly. Well.... they dropped off-line a couple times and had to be deleted and reinstalled. I only own three modules.

They failed again last night and I took them off-line this morning. I read reviews when trouble shooting... and others have been disappointed as well. I had a couple other cheap WiFi modules that replaced a couple of the modules and the third one I replaced with an X10 module.

It looks like old fashion power line X10 technology can be just as reliable... or better... than the latest tech.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

Re: My ihome brand devices failed.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:29:45 AM »

So yesterday.... in an email I get this notice about the ihome modules (outlet plugs) I took off-line after the failed to respond. I haven't heard back yet.

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 05:45:15 AM »

Cloud based services... are services. As wonderful as they are (and I do not want to give up such wonderful technology).... cloud, on-line, infrastructure, and even plain old fashion "human services" are dependent on the activity and solvency of others.

No [home automation] man is an island. As many of us painfully had to realize when the old, original X10 had it's problems..... our setups and systems never really stand alone. As we move more towards cloud-based automation.... which I support and believe is all good.. keeping a spare CM15A and computing abilities to set it up (with sufficient back-up). Will remain a part of my HA setup.

I plan to keep moving in the direction of a Raspberry Pi solution to HA as well. A complete set-up could be built for very little. And/or a complete back-up kept tucked away in a shoebox if desired.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »

No [home automation] man is an island. As many of us painfully had to realize when the old, original X10 had it's problems..... our setups and systems never really stand alone.

I disagree with that.  Our Ocelot-based X10 system has been rock solid for well over a decade, and it needs no Internet or wireless connection.  After the program was completed, it ran autonomously for years without even being connected to the computer.  The only RF devices were several PalmPads scattered around for convenience.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:34:25 AM »

It would be nice if these cloud based services were a bit quicker at letting customers know they have an issue.
Many unlike you Dave, don't just take the modules out of service. They spend hours if not days trying to trouble shoot and reconfiguring things thinking the issue was somehow on their end.
I wonder how many smart devices end up in the trash just because a cloud server went down for a day or week or two ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »

...... I disagree with that.  Our Ocelot-based X10 system has been rock solid for well over a decade............
Jeff

You... may be the exception to the no island rule. But even you (and your rock solid equipment) is dependent on parts and subservient to lighting strikes... and other natural disasters. Although I am sure you would fair much better than most. 

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »

..............  Many ..................... spend hours if not days trying to trouble shoot and reconfiguring things thinking the issue was somehow on their end.
I wonder how many smart devices end up in the trash just because a cloud server went down for a day or week or two ::) :'

I've been having some issues with my Homeseer, Hometroller software.... while learning to setup and use my new(ish) Raspberry Pi 3.... and testing the new WM100.... while battling a stomach virus (a gift from a granddaughter). However.... I think I still know what is my failure to understand... and a failure out of my span of control. The ihome units failed on their own... I'll get back to them later.

I've read enough of other peoples frustration trying to get their setups to work.... and I know the feeling of frustration myself. But I just keep pluggin along. Eventually... it generally... works out OK.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.