Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I love WM100 - but questions with X10 wireless cameras & Ninja pan/tilt  (Read 2096 times)

jjs7cams

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I just love the wireless WM100, yes want more feature but for now is great for my needs.

I have tried for weeks to get a raspberry Pi 3B to get to work using a CM15a, CM17a, CM19a to control X10 devices from my cell phone. No luck, suppose I just do not understand linux etc.  If anyone has got this to work let me know.  But along comes the WM100 and it seems to do everything I wanted to do using the raspberry Pi..

But I wonder is there any way to control the great little X10 Ninja pan/tilt devices using some cell phone app.  I have searched and searched and cannot find anyone who has done this.  Wonder if the app in the future could include this somehow.

What I want to do is mount some small IP cameras on the Ninja pan/tilts instead of the not so good older X10 wireless cameras. Yes I know one can buy small integrated IP cameras with the pan/tilt function, but I have several of the Ninjas.

Finally, as a test I am using a couple of the old X10 wireless cameras with the WM100. But it seems like you have to turn off each camera before turning on the next one in the set of 4, otherwise the WM100 app shows multiple cameras on at the same time, which cannot be.   Anyone tired using the WM100 to turn on/off x10 wireless cameras.

Thanks
jjs7cams

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: I love WM100 - but questions with X10 wireless cameras & Ninja pan/tilt
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:03:08 AM »

I did dabble with Linux and x10 but always returned to Windows.
I also created a few programs which you could control the ninjas with.
I believe the Android app I created (TAC) would turn Cameras configured in PCC
However I've since moved to using the PTZ IP cameras.

As for using the WM100 you could setup 4 scenes in each you add 4 camera addresses.
In the scene you turn 3 off and one on with no delays. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »

But I wonder is there any way to control the great little X10 Ninja pan/tilt devices using some cell phone app.  I have searched and searched and cannot find anyone who has done this.  Wonder if the app in the future could include this somehow.
This is not possible at this time. The Ninjas are controlled by 310MHz RF and the WM100 neither sends nor receives RF.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »

Turning the ninjas requires RF which the Current WM100 and app can't do. :(
However it would be possible if you had a Broadlink RM Pro (there are 2 apps for it)It only does RF and IR.
It is even possible to do this via voice control with Google or Alexa as well though it would be a bit involved to setup. ;)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jjs7cams

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »

Tuicemen

Are you saying one can use the Broadlink RM Pro device can be tuned to deliver the correct RF frequency to move the Ninja around. Have you done this? I really do not understand the workings of the Ninja but locally with the CR14A controller they work nicely. Not sure how the the pulses to move the Ninja would be programmed into the RM Pro, unless the apps you reference specifically do that. 

Would be interested in more info if someone could provide. 

Thanks to you and others for the responses so far.

jjs7cams

Mic_

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »

Do I understand correctly that Scenes on the Wm10 can be used to view the old X2 cams? This would be a bonus for the new WiFi unit for me. So far, I am extremely pleased with the unit. It was a long wait, but well worth it thus far

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »

Do I understand correctly that Scenes on the Wm10 can be used to view the old X2 cams? This would be a bonus for the new WiFi unit for me. So far, I am extremely pleased with the unit. It was a long wait, but well worth it thus far
NO! You can't view cameras you can only turn them on/off.
One of the suggestions I requested during testing was for the ability to send web requests. Although that still would not allow viewing of any camera it would allow control (moving/powering.) of IP cameras and maybe ninjas.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »

My vote would be to scrap the Ninjas.  They weren't that reliable in my experience and aren't weather proof.  I've been finding POE enabled PTZ high resolution IP cameras in the $70 range that can be mounted most anywhere and viewed/controlled on PCs and mobiles.

A better question might be if they can be used with this device, or if it would even be necessary.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:26:29 AM by BackAgain »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »

.....I have tried for weeks to get a raspberry Pi 3B to get to work using a CM15a, CM17a, CM19a to control X10 devices from my cell phone. No luck, suppose I just do not understand linux etc.  If anyone has got this to work let me know.  But along comes the WM100 and it seems to do everything I wanted to do using the raspberry Pi..

I also have experimented with a Pi to control X10. I've been using a Homeseer Hometroller (which is also based on a Pi).... and was looking to find a DIY product to use and share. There are some discussions/posts about it here.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.