Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On-line Ahx files and mcaro creation?  (Read 5843 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
On-line Ahx files and mcaro creation?
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:35:31 AM »

Now that X10 seems to be well on it's way to being back into the game with the new WM100. Maybe they should turn a little code writing attention to some on-line preservation of the CM15A.

I've used the Harmony Remotes since.... back when they were just Harmony (before they became Harmony Logitech... then back to just Harmony again). These remote are awesome.... and programmed on-line with the macros/programs then downloaded to the remote. The same could be done with the CM15A.

Rather then develop and entire new set of software products for the CM15A.... why not an on-line (registered) setup that would allow users to create and store their macros (AHX files) with a logon ID. No need [for users] to keep and preserve an X10 enable PC. No need to develop a new set of software products. Just an on-line interface.... that could DL the AHX file to the CM15A.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: On-line Ahx files and mcaro creation?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »

Baby steps. They're still trying to figure out how to download to the CM15. ASAIK, no one has picked up the pieces of the AHP code.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:00:31 AM »

However, at this point, there is no reason that a new AHP lite can't be written at this point that runs strictly off the computer (or Pi) that uses the Wilie 100 as an interface. The only thing missing would be the RF.

Release the protocol to unlock the door.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:10 AM »

Baby steps. .......... no one has picked up the pieces of the AHP code.

We may NEVER see that AHP code... or the source code for the WM100.

However, at this point, there is no reason that a new AHP lite can't be written at this point that runs strictly off the computer (or Pi)

Why must future HA users own either a PC or Pi.... or android or apple for that matter. More and more people are/have switched to those fancy little portable "transistor radios" they carry around in their hands.

No wait a minute.... those are phones. And people are abandoning home PC's for nice big phones. Macros software (like Alexa's) should be assessable using phones or PC's. Those CM15A's have lots of life and function still left in them.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:02 AM »

I said that because I doubt the WM 100 has enough memory to store "if/and" macros
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »

I said that because I doubt the WM 100 has enough memory to store "if/and" macros
Originally the WM100 was to have much more memory then the CM15( not sure if that is still the case with the device limitations) B:( ::) :'
I thought about the protocol the other night and with the WM100 having upgradable firmware each time it is upgraded the protocol would change (some what).
Unlike the CM11 and CM15 they were stuck with a fixed firmware.
The CM15 never did release a protocol and the SDK took over a year to be released and only updated once.
I'm still confident we'll see the WM100 protocol but I don't expect it till the App has grown considerably.

As for the CM15 code I believe a good bit of it was lost as pieces of it were on different servers.
I'm unsure if Authinx still has someone trying to put humpty dumpty back together.
X10 WTI never updated the code to work with newer development platform versions so many of the required DLLs have been deemed obsolete and hard if not impossible to find. Remember AHP was built for Windows 98.
Sure Plugins were added afterwards expanding on the code but the same old development platform was used. B:(

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »

However, at this point, there is no reason that a new AHP lite can't be written at this point that runs strictly off the computer (or Pi) that uses the Wilie 100 .....
Knight, you know that nick name is going to stick. I like it "The Willie 100".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 03:22:02 AM »

Why must future HA users own either a PC or Pi.... or android or apple for that matter. More and more people are/have switched to those fancy little portable "transistor radios" they carry around in their hands.

No wait a minute.... those are phones. And people are abandoning home PC's for nice big phones. Macros software (like Alexa's) should be assessable using phones or PC's. Those CM15A's have lots of life and function still left in them.

What you describe here and in your first post is basically SmartThings. It is currently all cloud based with the exception of a local hub. You program it from your phone or tablet in the cloud. The hub is controlled from the cloud. And that is essentially the main problem with SmartThings. If your internet goes down, so does all your automation and remote control.

I have an Nvidia Shield TV and took advantage of the promo to get the link hub and 2 smart bulbs. The link hub turns my Shield TV in to a SmartThings hub. Anyway, I've had it for maybe 2 months now and while my internet has not gone down, SmartThings Cloud has. In fact it has gone down 3 times for several hours each time in the past 2 months.

But I feel what you're saying. I too want to get away from running a PC 24/7 which is why I'm looking in to the Rpi device as you are currently doing. Smaller device and a lot less energy. But if all I needed was a local hub such as a CM15a that is programmed via the cloud and could locally do everything without a PC running 24/7, that would be great.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 04:13:01 AM »

What you describe here and in your first post is basically SmartThings. It is currently all cloud based with the exception of a local hub......

Yep. I am basically PRO-cloud. We tend to have mixed feelings about the cloud here at the forum.

If your internet goes down, so does all your automation and remote control. 

Every setup has it's flaws and weak points. But good automation (IMHO) recognizes inherent problems and seeks to mitigate the problems. The very nature of HA is cutting edge technology. If we're happy with standard [yesterdays] tech..... then every home in America already has that.

I have an Nvidia Shield TV and took advantage of the promo to get the link hub and 2 smart bulbs. The link hub turns my Shield TV in to a SmartThings hub.....

...But I feel what you're saying. I too want to get away from running a PC 24/7

I currently have a conglomerate of various hubs and devices. I've all but turned my home into an automation experiment. One such experiment has been shutting down the HA PC. But.... other things I want/have... like phone notifications and remote [phone] video camera viewing... are completely dependent on Internet servers. As a Home Automation hobbyist..... this is an excellent, maybe even golden era. 

I really think this InterWebSuperHighWay thingy.... is going to catch on.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »

Originally the WM100 was to have much more memory then the CM15( not sure if that is still the case with the device limitations) B:( ::) :'

How much memory does it need? If we know it doesn't work without the Internet (cloud based), does it even store devices and timers locally? Could the 32 device limit be on the back end? Here's a test. Set a timer and see if it runs with the Internet disconnected.

HA Dave could be on to something here. The AHX could run on the back end. The only thing missing now it the RF.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »

Originally the WM100 was to have much more memory then the CM15( not sure if that is still the case with the device limitations)

Yes, the WM100 has a vast amount of memory compared with the CM15A.  The STM32F103RCT6 includes 256KB of Flash memory (for firmware and the stored automation program) and 48KB of RAM.  The Cypress chip used in the CM15A has 8KB of EPROM for firmware and just 256 bytes of RAM.  The CM15A includes a separate 64Kbit (8KB) serial EEPROM for the automation program.

Bottom line is the WM100 has 16 times as much memory for firmware and the automation program, so memory should not be a limitation at all if it is being used efficiently.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »

Bottom line is the WM100 has 16 times as much memory for firmware and the automation program, so memory should not be a limitation at all if it is being used efficiently.
Thanks for that bit of info Jeff. I'm glad to see what was originally stated to me did in fact come to be! :)%
This is very promising as everything I originally asked for during testing is possible (except RF )
As is 90% of what users are looking for in the wish list section! :)%
I guess we just have to wait for the app to develop. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 07:48:04 AM »

There's also 2MB of flash memory and 50KB of RAM under the hood of the ESP chip. And, the ESP chip has NEC IR built-in so adding RF should be fairly easy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:58:47 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »

There's also 2MB of flash memory and 50KB of RAM under the hood of the ESP chip. And, the ESP chip has NEC IR built-in so adding RF should be fairly easy.
Things just keep getting better! rofl :)%
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »

does it even store devices and timers locally?
yes
Here's a test. Set a timer and see if it runs with the Internet disconnected.
I had done that prior to the initial release with success. but figured the firmware and app have been updated since then that that may have changed.
Testing just now revealed no internet connection is required for timers to work:)%
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.