Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WM100 users: Show me you scene's.... please.  (Read 1673 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
WM100 users: Show me you scene's.... please.
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »

The timers in/with the new WM100 are great. Sure fire, easy, intuitive setup. My timers are being moved from the CM15A... to the new WM100.

But scenes. I am embarrassedly stumped with the idea of scenes. Anyone got any scenes or scene ideas to share? Ideas on how to use this technology would be greatly welcomed. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: WM100 users: Show me you scene's.... please.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:37:47 AM »

The scenes currently aren't much better then in most HUBs right now :-[
You press the run and it turns everything in the scene on or off dim or brighten(depending how you have it set)
The Difference with scenes in the WM100 is the option for delays between events (some Hubs don't have this)
Also once you start a scene most hubs don't have the option to stop the scene from running.
Since the scenes are so limited in their function I really only have one and that was for Christmas lighting so it doesn't get used and won't now for a while.
The manual gives a couple of examples. Though I live in a small house and usually only need one light on when coming home.
A bed time scene may be useful but I already have Alexa doing that.
As well she does a good morning routine.
Until the scenes become more like macros they really aren't very useful to me.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »

Until the scenes become more like macros they really aren't very useful to me.

Yeah... the feature has limitations. But I am wondering it there might be imaginative ways to exploit whatever usefulness scenes have. I know.... MY mind can easily get stuck in the AHP macro means of automation. But... I am hoping others come up with new ideas on how to automate.

Here is all I've come up with. Selecting the "scene" I've named "Quick Light".  Then I added a device named "Tiny Lamp" set to the ON position. Then, adding the same "Tiny Lamp" a 2nd time I added a 3 minute delay... with the status position as OFF.

Scenes sees this to mean: Turn the Tiny Lamp ON, wait 3 minutes then turn the Tiny Lamp OFF. 

This would work well as a bedtime "scene". Or a similar scene could be used for exiting a basement with a lamp at the far end......ETC..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:22:29 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »

I have a bedtime/leaving scene that turns off all interior lights and leaves the exterior lights alone.  Since I have 4 rooms set up, I'd have to go to each one and turn them off as I was leaving.  It's easier to do this in once scene.

The downside is there's no on/off by room option in the current scenes, you have to add each device, and therefore update your scenes when you add a new device.  That's a bit annoying.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 04:38:44 AM »

I have only had my WM100 for a day now, but just setup a quick scene to try tonight:

My CM15 still controls my house through AHP and my lights go out in most of the house prior to the time I take my dog out for the last time...I just set up a scene to try that I can start when I'm going out that delays a start of one set of lights by one minute and then delays the off time by 20 minutes. Hopefully this prevents having to use a palmpad to turn on and then off lights which the CM15 has already killed for the night. Also, the delayed off will allow me to get upstairs with light and then self-extinguish.

Very simple, yet effective and I have found the app more solid over wifi than my palmpads over RF. I think this may become more effective a product for me for these kind of 'special' items than setting up macros in AHP

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.