Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: second house code units don't respond to X10 App  (Read 1770 times)

ClintON Gilbert

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
second house code units don't respond to X10 App
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »

Just got an x10 Wifi hub and successfully set it up with my modules downstairs which are all on house code G and all of them work.
Then added my modules upstairs that are all on house code B and none of them work.
I have tried syncing with the hub successfully but that didn't help.
They didn't work before or after the recent firmware upgrade to V0.0.23
If I look at Sync History all my commands to the B modules are being sent and the App shows that it is connected.
Originally I had setup the hub downstairs and to troubleshoot I moved the hub upstairs.
When it's upstairs it will control 2 out of the 3 modules but only 4 out of 8 downstairs. So it seems to be related to hub location.
I have tried a few different outlets upstairs but no joy while plugging it into any outlet downstairs allow it to connect with everything downstairs.
btw-we have a small >1200 sq.ft home built in the 80's

needless to say I could use some help!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: second house code units don't respond to X10 App
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »

...... When it's upstairs it will control 2 out of the 3 modules but only 4 out of 8 downstairs. So it seems to be related to hub location.

Of course... I could be wrong... but your post reads as if you have a classic phase problem (tons are written/posted here at the forums about this). All American household have two 120V lines. Combined.... the lines provide the 240V power required for stoves, HVAC, dryers, etc.. No matter which "side" of the powerline you place your WM100 you won't likely reach "both" 120V lines. The solution is a simple passive phase coupler (I bought one that connects to my clothes dryer. It plugs in to the dryer plug.... and the dryer plugs into it).

While running a clothes dryer.... you might be able to get all H/U codes to work.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:08:42 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

no57

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:39:23 PM »

Just got an x10 Wifi hub and successfully set it up with my modules downstairs which are all on house code G and all of them work.
Then added my modules upstairs that are all on house code B and none of them work.

Have you tried moving some of the B modules downstairs and some of the A modules upstairs? If they fail on one floor and work on the other, maybe you have your floors on different phases. Just as a test, make the 220v clothes dryer or the 220v stove work as you run the test and see if everything work. That would confirm the phase problem and you can solve it with a coupler.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »

It sounds like you have phase coupling problems, power line noise and signal sucker issues.
At minimum you should have a phase coupler between the two incoming power lines. Better is a coupler repeater between the two incoming power lines. The gold standard is the JV Digital Engineering XTB-IIR.

This is a rough test not always 100% accurate. If you have an electric oven or dryer. Turn it On. Sometimes the heating element will act as a phase coupler between the incoming power lines. See if some modules responses improve.

Jeff has a great set of X10 Tutorials on coupling, power line noise and signal suckers.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

ClintON Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »

Thanks to all who replied. The stove test did confirm a phase problem. The delay was 3 to 4 seconds from button push to lights turning on so I'll likely use a 2 wire coupler at the breaker box.
Thanks agin!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.