📱X10 WIFI > 🏥Help & Trouble shooting

Where does WM100 get it's dusk/dawn times?

(1/4) > >>

SkipWX10:
Maybe I just spaced on somehow inputting my zip code or location, but I don't remember ever giving the app or WM100 my location. I know in AHP (and synced with the CM15) I choose a location and at what interval I want to update dusk/dawn times.

Since it's on my phone, does it get location info from my cell (even if I have location off) or from my internet provider via wifi? And if it does, why do I have then to sync time from my cell to the WM100?

And, if it does not communicate with my cell/internet service or sync time, how does it know dusk/dawn times?

And then to further extrapolate, if the device timers reside on the WM100 once programed, how do seasonal changes then get adapted for dusk/dawn.

Please forgive me if this is a totally basic concept and it's just me that can't grasp it.....

Thanks, Skip

akeene:
At this point - We are all in the NEWBE state.
We are just now building a data base of problems and learning as we go.
So do not feel that its just you.

1. Location on the phone: Even if you have location set to off, It once was on. so that should be what it uses.
2. When you add WM100 to your router for Internet, it could use the time zone there.
3. Dusk - dawn - works on that info. If you set DST on in the WM100, it will adjust time based on the setup.
4. If you chose to sync time with the Internet server, Somewhere It asked for your zone ( -8  -7 etc. )
5. Have fun testing and reporting back to enlighten us.
this is what we do and love it.

thx

dave w:

--- Quote from: SkipWX10 on February 10, 2018, 04:13:41 PM ---Since it's on my phone, does it get location info from my cell (even if I have location off) or from my internet provider via wifi? And if it does, why do I have then to sync time from my cell to the WM100?
And, if it does not communicate with my cell/internet service or sync time, how does it know dusk/dawn times?

--- End quote ---
Perhaps Tuicement who deals with Authinx X10 frequently could add more insight, but my two cents is the WM100 does not know your location, but dawn and dusk are calculated from the local time. 

Tuicemen:
Originally I was told the dusk dawn settings were from your phone on initial setup.
However I believe it may be from your IP when you initially connect to the Amazon servers.
I'll try to get some clarification ;)

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: dave w on February 11, 2018, 07:40:59 AM ---Perhaps Tuicement who deals with Authinx X10 frequently could add more insight, but my two cents is the WM100 does not know your location, but dawn and dusk are calculated from the local time.
--- End quote ---

That would be a poor solution because dawn and dusk vary an hour over a time zone.  Using the mid-point, there could be half an hour error for those on the eastern and western edges.  And latitude is also a factor.

If the GPS location isn't available from the smart phone, a zip lookup table could work in the US.  Something like that probably exists for Canada too.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version