Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OMG... where did it go... what happened to my memory.  (Read 1606 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
OMG... where did it go... what happened to my memory.
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:15:47 AM »

I got a warning on my iPhone today. Insufficient memory. This has never happened to me before. Of my 64 available GB's 56 of them were tied up in the Amazon app. I had to delete stuff just to get where I could upload data and reinstall the app.

And here I thought the NSA was keeping track of all my personal data. Now it looks like I am storing it on my own phone.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:38:31 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

Re: OMG... where did it go... what happened to my memory.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »

Even the deletions  and reinstalls only got me to the 57.7 of my 64g. But that was enough I could at least chance deleting the Amazon Alex app. Then, I reinstalled and..... now like new. I have no idea what happen.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:43:47 AM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »

My guess would be audio recording.  I know google saves anything you "ok google" on your google account (online storage, not local phone).  Is it possible Amazon is using your phone for "temporary" permanent storage of some kind?

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »

..... Is it possible Amazon is using your phone for "temporary" permanent storage of some kind?

I can't imagine how... or even what. But the good news is.... once deleted... I was able to RE-download the app, login, and all my devices and routines were in place and working.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:00:10 AM »

My guess would be audio recording.  I know google saves anything you "ok google" on your google account (online storage, not local phone).  Is it possible Amazon is using your phone for "temporary" permanent storage of some kind?
That would be my guess as well.
If you go into history there are all the recordings starting with the wake word "Alexa" all the way back to when you first said the wake word. Uninstalling and reinstalling would remove those from the Phone until you checked history again I would think.
The app only allows deleting of one recording at a time but you can go to amazon and delete all at once.
Amazon warns this could reduce accuracy of the enabled device. ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:02 AM »

......If you go into history there are all the recordings starting with the wake word "Alexa" all the way back to when you first said the wake word. Uninstalling and reinstalling would remove those from the Phone until you checked history again I would think.

Well it's been a while now..... so maybe this is something I'll just have to keep an eye on. It is interesting to see every device and routine re-load... just as they were.

Amazon warns this could reduce accuracy of the enabled device. ::) :' 

I don't have a great or particularly articulate voice... even my pronunciation of many words... would seem skeptic. Yet Alexa understands me. So did Kate (the 16 bit Kate16 voice) that I used with BVC for a decade. I liked Kate. Now with the Home Automation Laptop turned off... Kate doesn't visit here anymore. I sorta miss Kate. I was over by her place (on the HA steel shelving in the man cave) the other day. I hope this doesn't seem... stalkie.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:22:44 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:35 AM »

rofl
Watch your self you don't want a restraining order placed on you! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:47 AM »

I turned off the custom voice feature on "ok google" and haven't had any issues.  Their data is stored online so it wouldn't affect my phone anyway, but I thought it was creepy storing that stuff for no reason.  Of course I do understand that they are probably saving it anyway and the text version is still stored too in my search history.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.