Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: button replacement options  (Read 3317 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: button replacement options
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:56 AM »

I use the braid/wick.  Seems like every vacuum bulb I have ever had wears out.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 06:00:53 AM »

I have RS solder wick and have not one time been successful in anything other than solderimg the wick to the joint.  I have successfully thrown my roll of wick quite a few times though!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 06:08:10 AM »

Any recommendations on a new desolder solution?

I've been using a desoldering pump for years.  Occasionally it has to be cleaned and lubricated, and the tip replaced.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/aven-tools/17535/243-1182-ND/1992576

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »

So the pump works with any heat source (iron, air gun, etc)?  Doesn't the tip melt?  And for $5, do you replace when full or can it be emptied?  I saw a pro level $400+ unit that filled a disposable chamber (and the chamber probably cost more than the RS one I use today).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »

I've used what Jeff has and I've used the fancy-smancy desoldering station. These days I prefer...

https://www.amazon.com/Tenma-21-8240-Vacuum-Desoldering-Iron/dp/B008DJRYIG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518630489&sr=8-6&keywords=desoldering+iron
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 07:18:56 AM »

So the pump works with any heat source (iron, air gun, etc)?  Doesn't the tip melt?  And for $5, do you replace when full or can it be emptied?

Yes, it works with anything that melts the solder.  The tip doesn't "melt" but it gradually deteriorates with use.  A new tip is about a buck.  It opens to dump out solder and apply a little lubrication.

Just one caution.  The ones we used back at the lab were identical except they had a metal plunger.  That lasted forever.  The plastic plunger on the cheaper one can snap if not pushed straight in.  So I keep a couple of spares in case I snap one in the middle of a rework job.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:21:17 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »

I'm sure the air gun is overkill, but it seems it could be multipurpose as heat shrink melter, desolder helper, smd add/remove, dip remover, etc).  I don't think it will get as much use as the soldering iron or desoldering iron.  I am just concerned that it will be dangerous due to quality and fire risk.  My work bench is in the basement away from my living areas so when not in use, it's not monitored.  I currwntly get paranoid about fire risk, so I put the irons on the concrete floor after use to cool.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »

When I was a volunteer at the Pacific Aviation Museum at Pearl Harbor I had a project where I needed to replace 5 or 6 leaking caps on each of 18 video boards.  The boards had been discontinued and the Flight Sim software running on WIN XP boxes wouldn't play nicely with any others.  I tried both a bulb and vacuum desoldering tools that I had occasionally used before but I got the best and fastest result using soldering wick.  The key to using the wick is to press it against the joint with the tip and while slowly pulling the wick as it collects the solder. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »

I was very lucky. When I worked for a Motorola repair shop.
We had a Pace desoldering machine. Step on the peddle after heating and it sucked the pads clean.
Don't do enough to purchasing one for myself.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »

I had 2 thoughts on the problem with my desoldering iron and maybe a reason why the tips tend to fail...maybe.

1) Type of solder.  I use solder sourced from my local distributor ages ago (I bought a huge roll and haven't gone through it yet).  I don't have it in front of me, but I know some solder is led free and some has led.  Is one type worse for irons (both solder and desolder)?

2) I never use flux though I know it's something that is supposed to be in everyone's kit.  If I use the tip without flux, am I "gunking up" the through hole with solder or leaving burned residue on it that keeps the tip from properly transferring heat? 

The issue seems to be that the tip never gets hot enough to melt the joint and I have to use my soldering iron to heat up the joint and then quickly use the pump on the desoldering iron before the puddle solidifies.  Last time I replaced the tip, things went back to new IIRC.  I watched a video that showed how flux "fills up" the solder wick and keeps new solder from being absorbed.  Also, a dry iron won't start the wicking action.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

I'll close out the original topic first.  I teplaced the 9v battery lead and found the module still wouldn't power on (that's what the button was for).  I removed the button and checked the traces.  I found that there was probably a thru hole solder sleeve (not sure that's the right nomenclature).  When I drilled out the stuck pin I removed the sleeve which isolated the 2 sides of the board.  Turns out, there was a trace under the button that wasn't making contact.  After adding a jumper wire, all is working again!

As for the desolder iron, I removed the tip and cleaned it with my dremel.  It had a ton of funk on the inside.  It appears to be copper and now that it's clean it works like new again.

I am still very interested in a better doldering iron/air station.  Is there a price point that would get me out of the chinese garbage range and into the acceptable hobbyist range? I simply cannot justify the pro range, so I just want quality but flash isn't needed.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.