Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Running WM100 on generator during power outage  (Read 1554 times)

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Running WM100 on generator during power outage
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:41:57 PM »

I have several questions about this:

We have lots of power outages here.

1) think it's OK?

2) any worries about surges, etc? My CM15 works 'okay' on generator...due to question #3

3) heare's the real one: my genny is clocked a bit fast (i.e.: not 60 cycles) and my clocks run fast by quite a bit. I know some generators have the ability to dial this in, but I wouldn't know what to do even if it did. I'm going to have a sparky look at it. But the question remains...does anyone know if that might damage the WM100? If a possibility, I will unplug before going on genny.

As usual. thanks to those of you who know about this stuff!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Running WM100 on generator during power outage
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »

That's a good question. I know X10 doesn't play well (and can even be damaged) by the square-wave battery back-ups. But how close to a perfect 60 cycle is required.... I've never heard/read.

But what would you automate/control?

My generator set-up is way too modest to handle my entire home. I can power the frig and freezer... and a light or two here and there. But I've never even thought about HA during an outage. I've only thought about making coffee during a prolonged outage.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »

Generator or alternator? It's not an inverting generator, is it. It all depends on how clean the power is. Does a digital clock run fast, or just an analog model.  Too many variables here. I'd unplug to be safe.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »

Good questions from you both.

As far as automation, I use the CM15 for light timers mostly during an outage. My generator runs my whole house, although it's a portable. I can run my house on the supplied 30A with exception, of course of a clothes dryer, which is not needed in a two/three day outage.

Alternator, not an expensive inverter. Digital clocks run fast, don't have any electric analogs.

I can do everything I want with CM15 timers and PPs for other tasks, just wondering if, for the time being, I should pull the WM100 prior to genny fire. Later, if I transition more automation to the WM100, I may need to educate myself on isolating it from generator issues or go without HA while on genny {GASP!}

Thanks

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.