Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Whole house noise filter  (Read 6525 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Whole house noise filter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 04:52:03 AM »

I saw the schematic of the ESM1 on your web site Dave.

Compare that with the schematic for the XTBM, which is on the jvde.us website.  I was trying to match the ESM1 price, but the parts alone cost about $80.

The XTBM and all other XTB products verify the correct number of bits AND the complimentary bit pattern before accepting a command as valid.

Jeff

The cost is probably why Elk discontinued the ESM1.

IIRC, the XTB products also report ALL bit patterns, not just valid X10 codes. That can help with troubleshooting.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 05:24:36 AM »

CM15 is unplugged.  I tried configuring as a module and nothing works when i do that.  Strange.
Plug in the cm15 and connect it to the PC open Ahp 's activity monitor and send an on with the wm100 to see if Ahp sees it also try sending the pn with ahp.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »

IIRC, the XTB products also report ALL bit patterns, not just valid X10 codes. That can help with troubleshooting.

The XTB-IIR and XTB-523 do have an option to "Return All Bits" received in real-time, but the default mode is to just accept valid commands.  I used the Return All Bits mode with a digital storage scope during development to understand exactly what was on the powerline.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 06:48:09 AM »

The cost is probably why Elk discontinued the ESM1.

Looking at the schematic, I doubt that parts for the ESM1 cost more than $20.  I recall Elk sold it for about $100.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

scali2018

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »

CM15 is unplugged.  I tried configuring as a module and nothing works when i do that.  Strange.
Plug in the cm15 and connect it to the PC open Ahp 's activity monitor and send an on with the wm100 to see if Ahp sees it also try sending the pn with ahp.

CM15 shows commands being sent.  And now, like magic, everything seems to be working. B:(

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »

CM15 shows commands being sent.  And now, like magic, everything seems to be working. B:(

What was the original switch model?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

scali2018

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »

WS12.  I kept the CM15 plugged in so i can see if any stay commands are getting into the house somehow.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »

WS12.  I kept the CM15 plugged in so i can see if any stay commands are getting into the house somehow.

Good. That's usually the 1st step for troubleshooting this type of problem.

In addition to noise, some switches and modules will respond to powerline surges while others might react to a dip in the voltage supply. The PIC MCUs used in many have a brownout detector that will cause a reset in response to the latter.

As fate would have it, when I awoke this AM, a lamp which I had turned off just before retiring last night was on. We had a thunderstorm in the early hours and Duke Energy reported it caused a brief outage. The LampLinc 2000STW module controlling this lamp has always had a brownout issue from its introduction 13 or more years ago. A second 2000STW which is usually more volatile ignored things. The only other thing amiss was the clock on the coffee maker. All else weathered the storm.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »

I'm not familiar with the hardware details but this 2001 post to comp.home.automation showed both the cause and a fix for a WS467 switch exhibiting similar random ONs.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.home.automation/HJOVTh8Y_Ps/6vX-Nood1GIJ

tflemer

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 03:12:53 AM »

I have a whole house filter in the mains cabinet.  Primarily for noise.  Not the issue you are trying to track down.

AHP has two tools: Find Other Computers; and Activity Monitor, which you are probably familiar with. The only thing I can add is, I have AHP on Windows 10 Pro.  This way, I can access AHP with a laptop using Remote Desktop Connector and move around the house to troubleshoot.  Only the PC where AHP is hosted needs Win 10 Pro, the laptop can be any version. 

Set up is simple.  On the host PC go to Windows Explorer, right click on This PC, then click on Properties.  Click on Remote Settings, click on Allow remote connections to this computer, click OK. 

On the laptop, a quick and dirty way to access is in Windows Explorer.  Click on Networks, find the PC.  Right click on the PC and select, Connect with Remote Desktop Connection.  Happy hunting.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.